Red Debt Collection Services

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth Mills

Reaction score
Has anyone received a letter from this company concerning an alleged debt that is several years old (they are also known as Lowell Group and Hampton Legal)? Sonia got a letter today which said that she owed T-Mobile nearly £200, but she cancelled her mobile phone contract with them about 7 years ago (settling the outstanding balance), and definitely didn't have any dealings with them from early 2002 onwards.

Anyway, we've called them to dispute the debt (as we don't think she owes them anything) - and even so, it's over 6 years ago since she last heard from them, so the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 should apply, meaning that any debt is "statute barred" and not legally enforcible. Even so, they've added the usual threats of court action and whatnot!

I just don't want anyone else to get caught out by this - especially with people being stretched with the credit crunch and whatnot! I'm guessing a lot of people would panic and pay them - but if you pay them anything (and there *is* an actual debt) then the debt stops being "statute barred" and you become liable for it again... so please make sure you check before you pay!

If you go on to moneysupermarket.com they have a load of letters on debt collection, I beleive that companies buy the debt and try to recoup it. Try the website I mentioned I know they have letters you can download, if there is not one suited Ruth Im sure someone will be able to come up with one...hope it helps

If you go on to moneysupermarket.com they have a load of letters on debt collection, I beleive that companies buy the debt and try to recoup it. Try the website I mentioned I know they have letters you can download, if there is not one suited Ruth Im sure someone will be able to come up with one...hope it helps

Cool, thanks - have already done a google and found a suitable letter that's going to be sent by recorded delivery tomorrow, as well as tipping off BBC Watchdog, so hopefully they will be on the case soon as well...

I had one of these letters last month, and I cant for the life of me think what its for, there saying its for £565 I dont remember it at all, and its in my married name well my second married name I havent been that for over 10 years at least.
Worried me to death, havent heard anyting else tho I think there waiting to pounce again..x

I had one of these letters last month, and I cant for the life of me think what its for, there saying its for £565 I dont remember it at all, and its in my married name well my second married name I havent been that for over 10 years at least.
Worried me to death, havent heard anyting else tho I think there waiting to pounce again..x

Ah, well if that's the case then they have no legal right to demand payment for you - check out the following link - Debt Factsheets - Liability for Debts and the Limitation Act

There's also a sample letter you can send to them here - Debt Questions • View topic - Statute Barred Letter - if they still hassle you after they've received that, then you can get the Office of Fair Trading to spank them...

snakes...!!!....hope you get it sorted Ruth xx

snakes...!!!....hope you get it sorted Ruth xx

We're on the case... as we're certain that any debt would be "statute barred" anyway, then the judge would laugh at them if they tried to take us to court! And I'd love to see the look on any debt collectors face when faced with Slobberdog Molosserbitch!

We're on the case... as we're certain that any debt would be "statute barred" anyway, then the judge would laugh at them if they tried to take us to court! And I'd love to see the look on any debt collectors face when faced with Slobberdog Molosserbitch!

pmsl....thanks for that Ruth I will check it out, its bad tho, just think of all the people that will just pay up cause there to scared to question it ..xx

pmsl....thanks for that Ruth I will check it out, its bad tho, just think of all the people that will just pay up cause there to scared to question it ..xx

I know! That's why I'm chasing this up with BBC Watchdog. Hopefully they'll do a feature on it (especially with people stretched to the limit with the credit crunch) and everyone will get to know about the "statute barred" legislation and not get pressured by debt companies who are betting on you not knowing any better...

great thread! i really do learn something new everyday on here...i hope watch dog do take it up it would help a hell of alot people.

:hug:

Last edited:
Did you put that up Ruth? If so well done you!! Hopefully you'll have helped alot of other people in the future. :hug:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well done Ruth, I hope that helps a lot of people. You are a star..x

Great idea ruth!, was a great read too:)

Latest posts

Back