registering a new company

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to register my company name and if i have to do this

i was going to do it through companies house and have checked and no one is registered with the name i want to use, but ive been told its only for limited companies and not sole traders,

and ive searched some business registration sites, but they have 4 or 5 people using same name as me, but in different areas? so dont understand what paying them does, if someone else with same name can register anyway? and ive herad they take money but it dosent actually do anything?

arrggghhh its such a minefield

does anyone know exactly what i need to do, im worried now as ive printed stuff with my name on to try and generate some business and now im worried ill have to change the name

nicky xxxxx

Hi Nicky,

I've been looking into the same thing as there is a salon in a nearby town (about 15 miles) that is using the same name as me.

As a sole trader, our company name is otherwise known as a Trading name. The only thing we can really do is establish that we're not stealing anyones "intellectual rights"... i.e. that there isn't a limited company using the same name as us.

This page on the Businesslink website will help you i think:
Sole trader and partnership names | Business Link

I have just yesterday registered my business name on companies house, it safe guards me and as I came up with the name I feel I deserve the credit for it and not someone else.

How much did it cost Teresa?

I have just yesterday registered my business name on companies house, it safe guards me and as I came up with the name I feel I deserve the credit for it and not someone else.

strange as ive just emailed companies house asking them about registering my business name, guess what they told me i cant, they havent registered names since 1982!! wtf im so confused lol

I paid £39.99=vat of £7.00for a standard incorporation service
and £4.99+.87p for first board minutes

If you do it yourself it takes about 7-10 working days...you have to get the right paper for printing, and services of a solicitor for which can cost anything from£10+, I used a company on the net and I put the order in about 11 and was incorporated at the end of the day. My certificate with number arrived yesterday first class.
It was smoothish(my fault a problem arose)and you can ring for advice during the form filling. You have to nominate a secretary and a director(usually yourself) and have to divide shares. A director can be a shareholder too....

Latest posts

Back