Remote Prescribing of BOTOX banned

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashalina23

Reaction score
Botox prescriptions over phone or internet (Remote Prescribing) to be banned says GMC. So there needs to be a face to face ie in the same room for the patient receiving the treatment ie Botox and the prescriber whether they are a Dr, Dentist or Nurse Prescriber.

The GMC are the last of the professional bodies to state botox should not be prescribed by telephone, fax, internet or other media. This means that unless you physically have a prescriber in the same room as your client, botox cannot be prescribed.

when is this in force ?

Botox prescriptions over phone or internet (Remote Prescribing) to be banned says GMC. So there needs to be a face to face ie in the same room for the patient receiving the treatment ie Botox and the prescriber whether they are a Dr, Dentist or Nurse Prescriber.

Finally the GMC are stepping up to the mark. Do you have link ashalina, thanks.

Edited to Add - No worries, found it.

Last edited:
Excellent news. Should be in play by the end of this week. About time.

that's just ridiculous...

I'm curious Amy, why you think it's ridiculous?

Remote prescribing to beauty therapists, will be banned as from next week.
Why, I believe the doctors who've made this ruling, are wanting to hold the monopoly fir themselves. They book back to back clients for Botox treatments,
Short change the client by putting in a minimum of of product. And charge per area? Actually each area has to a balance out, I.e. Elevators, corrugators, frontalis. So actually for a line free smooth look all these areas must be treated. Oh no people shout, bt's aren't learned enough, huh hum...we aren't all brain dead and can only do a wax treatment. A & P is paramount in being learnt in depth, and you can rest assured stringent training is undertaken to make sure injecting botulinum A is monitored by a qualified doctor. I have
done my training for Botox and dermal fillers, achieving amazing results fir both men and women. Combined with skin peels and microdermabrasion, it's a successful year in these treatments for me. Rolling back the years, and some of my clients ditching the anti depressants. not all bt's are thick and stupid as some on here try to portray. I myself have met and interacted with Dr. Rob Khanna, the king of dermal fillers, and have been praised by him in my approach and techniques in administering dermal fillers. Watch this space!!
We believe bottom prices will rocket when done by doctors alone.

Sorry about my post, I actually misunderstood what it meant by 'remote prescribing' lol xx

The ban on remote prescription of botox is a good thing. Gets rid of doctors who were prescribing against guidelines. Well done GMC.

What about the nurses administering from a remote prescription which is against the nmc code plus the various beauty therapists who openly admit they inject Botox on this forum?

The recently announced new guidance by the GMC on remote prescribing for Botox has caused the greatest ripple the Aesthetic Medical industry has ever seen. In a field described as ‘Medical’ we have witnessed an onslaught of non medical people jumping on the band wagon to inject potentially dangerous drugs into the naive public.
Certain drugs are available only on prescription for good reason. If they were so harmless then we could all purchase them over the counter. In the correct hands these products are very safe to use for a multitude of medical conditions and aesthetics. However the potential remains for things to go wrong if administered incorrectly.
These new guidelines set a precedence in an otherwise unregulated industry. Those of us who have been practicing in an ethical and professional manner for many years hope sincerely that these changes will provide the protection and safety to the general public that is long overdue.
It does however pose the question of how the big companies who make huge profits through remote prescribing plan to proceed. There is also the concern that illegal and black market ‘Botox’ type products will increasingly creep into the market.
The general public need to be made aware of the importance of seeking advice and treatment from a professional medical practitioner. Having an aesthetic procedure is not a trivial affair much to the belief of many.
I welcome the new guidance with much relief and hope that medical aesthetics gains its rightful place in the practice of medicine. My only regret is the effect this will have on the many excellent aesthetic nurses who have relied on remote prescribing for their business.

ok, so can nurse prescribers still prescribe and administer botox, fillers etc? I have been approached by both a nurse and an ex beauty therapist (apparently fully trained/insured for these services but no nursing background) wanting to advertise these services in my salon, I'm inclined to go with the nurse but if these new rules change the goal posts for her as well then I'll politely decline both ladies.

It must be remembered that 'Botox', although commonly used within the salon environment is a Prescription Only Medication. Its a Toxic substance and can have life threatening side effects.

Whether you have used it regularly or not, be careful.

It is all very confusing ie I asked a nurse if she was a prescriber she said "I belong to (insert well known name) in London and they said it does not effect me and I can use until I go on my prescribers course" :?::(

ok, so can nurse prescribers still prescribe and administer botox, fillers etc? I have been approached by both a nurse and an ex beauty therapist (apparently fully trained/insured for these services but no nursing background) wanting to advertise these services in my salon, I'm inclined to go with the nurse but if these new rules change the goal posts for her as well then I'll politely decline both ladies.

A nurse with independent prescribing qualification can still prescribe and administer botox. The nurse MUST be a qualified prescriber. This can be checked by accessing the NMC website and entering the nurses PIN number. The prescribing qualification will be listed.

It is all very confusing ie I asked a nurse if she was a prescriber she said "I belong to (insert well known name) in London and they said it does not effect me and I can use until I go on my prescribers course" :?::(

This is absolute twaddle. Complete and utter garbage! She has mislead you. If she is not a prescriber then she cannot administer botox from a remote prescription service (regardless of the organisation she belongs to - which I can hazard a guess at)! The patient MUST have a FACE TO FACE consultation with a prescriber - ie a Nurse Prescriber, Doctor or Dentist.

I would never, ever mislead any of my patients this way. Please do not accept what you have been advised.

A nurse with independent prescribing qualification can still prescribe and administer botox. The nurse MUST be a qualified prescriber. This can be checked by accessing the NMC website and entering the nurses PIN number. The prescribing qualification will be listed.

Much appreciated daisyl, thanks for clearing that up!

xx

Hi there, a nurse prescriber can prescribe the drug Botox without a doctor but most nurses are not prescribers. To check out your nurse log onto the nursing Midwifery Council website and do a register search fro her name. If she is a real nurse she will be registered and if she is a prescriber it will say that she is a Nurse Independent prescriber (NIP) Then you can hopefully offer your clients a safe service or politely decline if they are not what they say they are!

Latest posts

Back