Removing enhancements for an op?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyrose

Reaction score
morning girls & boys!!

happy monday :rolleyes:

just a quick question...im goin in for an op next tuesday and iv got gels on, do u know do i have to remove them all...or just one, as far as i know they just need to be able to see the colour under ur nail? am i right? so just one off wud be ok?? i hope so...took me 4 hrs to do my own..:eek: haha ok yes a bottle of wine was involved!

wendyrose said:
morning girls & boys!!

happy monday :rolleyes:

just a quick question...im goin in for an op next tuesday and iv got gels on, do u know do i have to remove them all...or just one, as far as i know they just need to be able to see the colour under ur nail? am i right? so just one off wud be ok?? i hope so...took me 4 hrs to do my own..:eek: haha ok yes a bottle of wine was involved!

Hi

I know that when i was in last year i was aloud to keep my Brisa Toes but had to take off 2 of my fingers. I really think it differs from surgeon too surgeon. The sister in charge wanted them all off including my toes but the surgeon quite liked them ....lol

HTH X

im afraid you will probably have to, I have had 4 operations now and for each one I have to remove all enhancements/nail varnish off my fingers and toes before the operation

noooo :cry: , thanks girls...

I have been told that its all down to your consultant...some don't mind and some do...what they want your natural finger nails for they can use your toe nails for...so as long as one or the other is natural i cant see what the problem is....but then i am not a consultant...pmsl....xxxxxx

Ive had one Csection since having enhancements and I didn't have to take my nails off. I've also had one other operation and again, the nails were allowed to stay. When I had my Csection they did inspect them but told me that because they could see my nail beds through them enough to detect changes they were fine.

a few of my clients who have had ops recently, have had to take all their nail enhancements off, apart from one who refused too, stood her ground and told them she would take 2 off!

It varies surgeon to surgeon.
If your toes are bare, then they can use your toes instead of your fingers.

For my op's, I did not have to remove my enhancements.

I too, wear UV gels.

Its not really up to the surgeon but to the anesthetic doctor.....do you understand what i mean....the one that makes you zzzzzzzzzzzz...........

I had a client that the surgeon did say ok, no problem, but when the "anesthetic doctor "did see her nails he did refuse to "do her"

The op was canceled, she had to go home and wait 3 months for the next available time they had......

So I would have taken them of.....just in case....

Two of my clients had to remove ALL their enhancements before their ops. One tried to argue that they could still see the nail bed through the enhancement but they were not having any of that and said that if she turned up with them on either they would take them off themseleves or send her home with no op!!!!:eek: .

More often than not it's the decision of the anaesthetist because he monitors you whilst you are asleep and it varies really from one to the next. One exposed fingernail may be okay but often in theatre they use a special probe over your finger which detects oxygenation in the tissues under the skin. If enhancements are quite thick this could affect the functioning of the probe. Also if you are having your op in a state hospital then often your anaesthetist will be in training and usually they have to do everything 'by the book' which means removal of everything on the fingers. Check with your hospital.

if i were you then i'd remove them all, better to be on the safe side and have your operation rather than risk having it cancelled and have to wait ages until the next available appt, then after you've recovered you can treat yourself by having another tech do a lovely set for you xx

I go in hospital on friday for a major opp and have this morning been speaking to the surgical nurse who told me straight out "no enhancements on finger nails" ive just spent the last hour soaking mine off and treating my nails.

Personaly i would soak them off hun rather than take the chance, hth :hug:

Mrs.Clooney said:
More often than not it's the decision of the anaesthetist because he monitors you whilst you are asleep and it varies really from one to the next. One exposed fingernail may be okay but often in theatre they use a special probe over your finger which detects oxygenation in the tissues under the skin. If enhancements are quite thick this could affect the functioning of the probe. Also if you are having your op in a state hospital then often your anaesthetist will be in training and usually they have to do everything 'by the book' which means removal of everything on the fingers. Check with your hospital.

It was my anaesthetist that made the call to keep or get rid. If you bat your eyes long enough im sure he will let you keep them.

hi

Even though now i am a nail tech, i am also a qualified registered nurse.

I worked in the theatre department for 4 years in recovery(where u wake up).

Its a trauma to take ya nails off, but as a nurse we can use observations from the toes. if you take off your index finger nail enhancement its ample and your nail polish on the toes also. This alows the health professional to observe any changes to this area ie colour

thing is the monitor probe we use goes on the finger and picks up oxygen levels in your body and your heart rate also. the machine probe can be used the same on the toe and also most machines have an ear piece attachment.

Also as a nurse we shouldnt wholey depend on these machines as they can go wrong so any good recovery nurse etc with good assessment skills will be able to monitor without machinary !!!

hope this helps when u argue the battle like i always do as a patient hahaha

I have just had an op two weeks ago and haing another in a further few weeks. I was told as long as they can see the natural nail coulour under the enhancement there is no problems. So no polish but a NNO or a natural P&W is fine.. In fact the theatre nurse told me how beautiful my nails were.
HTH

thanks everyone...i think ill remove my two index fingers and my toes...i liked ur idea sandi of havin someone come do them..lol, unfortunatly i dont know any techs in my area :cry:

I gave a baby shower gift to a good friend of mine a few years ago, a really nice pedi a couple days before she was due. She was not allowed colour on her toes for the same reasons I guess, so I did a clear coat with blue rhinestones daisies on each big toe (she knew she was having a boy).

The delivery nurses loved them so much I got a couple of appointments out of that!

I also did a pedi on my mother in law with coloured enamel and clear rhinestone daisies. When she had emergency gallbladder surgery the nurses there took the enamel off, but could not get the rhinestones to come off! I was pretty impressed that they stayed on. I use Stickey to cement them onto the enamel and it obviously lives up to it's name !!

Laura

I had an op last month and they allowed me to wear my enhancements
they didnt really question me and had a questionaire that asked if they were acrylic or gel
hope all goes well with the op
Deb x

thanks debbie...x

Latest posts

Back