Renting a table illegal??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nails2nV

Reaction score
Hi

I see many many people advertising rent chair/table/room space in their salons but one of my friends daughters went for an interview at a salon and they said they dont do renting of space because it is ILLEGAL?!!!!

Does anyone know the truth in this?

This concerns me because my friend is opening a hairdressers and she wants to rent me a space for nails.

I cant see this being true. when you rent, you are self-employed. As long as you pay all your taxes, nat insurance etc. then I cant see there being a problem.

I think this salon has got the wrong information.

did they say why they thought it was illegal? Effectively what is happening is a sublease, and the landlord has every right to say no to this. Where I rented space he got a bit funny and wanted me to sign something to say that if the owner of the salon left that I would leave too and not take up squatters rights, so maybe this is what they are referring to?

did they say why they thought it was illegal? Effectively what is happening is a sublease, and the landlord has every right to say no to this. Where I rented space he got a bit funny and wanted me to sign something to say that if the owner of the salon left that I would leave too and not take up squatters rights, so maybe this is what they are referring to?

Yeh that would make sense wouldn't it. Apperently they didnt explain why.
Who cuold i contact to find out the official answer?

.... to say that if the owner of the salon left that I would leave too and not take up squatters rights, so maybe this is what they are referring to?

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh !!

I think I need to go lie down, but I just had visions of you holding onto your nail desk for dear life while they are trying to drag you out, screaming "I will not leave, I need to do nails" and having a little camp fire in the middle of hte floor :lol: :lol:

Marlise

In Aus, if you rent a table out, you have to have permission to sublease, also you are not classified as self employed if the salon owner tells you what time to arrive or leave work. The tax department is coming down bigtime on Nail Techs.

This is absolutley ridiculous - 1000's of techs rent a table its just like renting a room in a flat/house.

ha some people!

xxx

i never hurd it was but if unsure ring the tax department to find out

Depending on the lease agreement the salon owner has, it could well be illegal to sub-let space within the property. Something less likely, but a possible obstacle, is the buildings insurance aspect which could preclude them renting space without proper H&S measures. I say less likely as most rented spaces are within Health and Beauty salons already and is usually covered under the same insurance brackets.

Hi

I see many many people advertising rent chair/table/room space in their salons but one of my friends daughters went for an interview at a salon and they said they dont do renting of space because it is ILLEGAL?!!!!

This concerns me because my friend is opening a hairdressers and she wants to rent me a space for nails.
Perhaps fill in your profile so that we know a bit more about you.

I think it would only be illegal to rent a table if the person renting the table didn't declare it was being rent, ie the income not being declared.

Hi

Hi there,
it really depends on the conditions of the lease to the shop owner.
If there is a clause stating no subletting, I.e. renting a space and charging rent for it, then it is in breach of their main shop contract and they can lose their lease..

Just like some mortgage companys dont allow you to sublet a room and charge for it.....
the only way around is, make the Technician staff....
Get your friend to check out her lease for any clauses and sub contractual conditions.
HTH

Latest posts

Back