Resin and glue - what's the difference??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vetty said:
I don't care - I'm really anal about terminology, and if I were a distributor I would want to educate my customers to use the correct terms not encourage them to use the wrong ones. It's like the cuticle/eponychium thing with clients - if we never correct anyone calling it 'my cuticle' how will we ever influence the terminology used?

Sorry if this sounds aggressive I don't mean it to be - but it's one of my bugbears!

Oh, I definately agree that people SHOULD use the correct terminology.
My question was missed though.

Is it glue? or is it adhesive? That's what I was wondering.

VHunter said:
Oh, I definately agree that people SHOULD use the correct terminology.
My question was missed though.

Is it glue? or is it adhesive? That's what I was wondering.
i would say it's adhesive but packaged as such so that the public know what it's for.

As for viscosity you can get thin and thick resins (you ony have to look at the Fabric# system to prove this), just as you can get thin and thick glues, the difference is about their chemical makeup.

To use an analogy, it would be like someone asking what's the difference between a hoover and a Dyson. They are both brands of vacuum cleaners. I always say I am doing the hoovering when in fact I have a Dyson! They both suck up dust, but they work in very different ways and it's that difference we should be discussing not what we choose to call something.

Last edited:
When a bad apple is in the barrel it can spoil all the other good apples ... it only takes one to do it. All the good apples in the world will not make the bad apple good again.

The problem is not one of semantics ... the challenge is creating high standards with factual information. With all the drivel that has been spouted recently it is obvious that factual information is of no interest to the poster. Her message is ... Lets all just not care and sink to the lowest common denominator??

In the UK despite no licensing laws, we have some of the best nail technicians and the best educated nail technicians in the world. Untainted (mostly) by the appalling 'word of mouth' myths and misinformation that abound in other countries, particularly the USA. Apart from the new and inexperienced ones (the kind the recent posts have been aimed at) the technicians know their stuff.

This web site in fact was set up primarily to educate with factual information for those who are seeking it. Misinformation and a lowering of standards will not be tolerated on this site.

Betsy has come on here to sell her products ... it is obvious ... try them if you want and get all the free stuff out of her you can if that is your agenda. Go for the 'bits and pieces and the nail art things BUT However she dresses it up using her beloved semantics, she is not selling the same professional nail enhancement products in her bottles as the top end products. If you are using middle to low end, fine, you may not notice a difference. They maybe buying from the same source, but not necessarily the same products. She's good at semantics ... just don't be misled. There is an agenda and you are part of it.

if glue (as such) is to now be referred to as adhesive, why are "abrasives" still called files?
Fairs fair .......
I think we all know what we are talking about, no matter what we call them.
This post got so damn serious for no apparent reason ..... what the?

nailzoo said:
if glue (as such) is to now be referred to as adhesive, why are "abrasives" still called files?
Fairs fair .......
I think we all know what we are talking about, no matter what we call them.
This post got so damn serious for no apparent reason ..... what the?

Actually we do refer to so-called files as abrasives ... ALWAYS!! lol

Only serious because if you read all the posts by the person in question, it is as obvious as the nose on your face !! Love ya nailzoo!!

I'd like to say thanks for all your opinions, and yes, my original question has been answered - that is, for the purpose of sticking-on tips for either full blown overlays or for added strength for 'weekenders', I can use either resin or tip adhesive.

As regards to what we call it, on the whole I don't really think we should get too bogged down. However, if we do refer to it as glue to our clients, it could give them the impression that it is actually no different to superglue and that it's OK for them to use superglue instead of nail adhesive when they feel like doing a little home repair - because we've called it glue they think glue is glue is glue when it's not.

Nail Chick said:
I'd like to say thanks for all your opinions, and yes, my original question has been answered - that is, for the purpose of sticking-on tips for either full blown overlays or for added strength for 'weekenders', I can use either resin or tip adhesive.

As regards to what we call it, on the whole I don't really think we should get too bogged down. However, if we do refer to it as glue to our clients, it could give them the impression that it is actually no different to superglue and that it's OK for them to use superglue instead of nail adhesive when they feel like doing a little home repair - because we've called it glue they think glue is glue is glue when it's not.

Thank YOU!!! My thoughts exactly and why it is important to keep it professional. Glad the posts helped clear things up for you and that you have a good head on your shoulders and can obviously think for yourself and were not confused by all the so-called semantics (which by the way were not semantics but different definitions of different things!)

I hate to throw this at you...but superglue is the same as most nail glue you see in those little tubes. This is my whole point!!! The company that makes it packages it unlabeled or relabeled for many nail companies.

Believe it or not...its "so"!

Glue generally dries faster than resin, hence the resin activator used to speed up the drying process. As resin dries more slowly than glue it can be better for beginners when attaching nail tips, if they don`t quite get it right first time whereas with glue...hey presto its quick.

I`ve used superglue in emergencies for re-applying nail tips and it breaks down within a couple of days whereas resin or nail glue doesn`t

I hope if you plan to come on the site with posts like this that you pay up and become a premium geek ... your posts take up enough band width so perhaps you would like to contribute to the up keep of the site?

Even your company cannot knock off PATENTED formulas ... Not without having your behind sued anyway ... the most advanced formulations are patented and protected by that patent. So maybe what you mean by high end is not what I mean by high end!

I am having the last word and closing this thread.
The poster was not confused but, on the contrary, was helped by the information she recieved ... she's had her answer so be it.

betsy@nailite said:
I hate to throw this at you...but superglue is the same as most nail glue you see in those little tubes. This is my whole point!!! The company that makes it packages it unlabeled or relabeled for many nail companies.

Believe it or not...its "so"!

Maybe some unscrupulous companies do as you suggest perhaps nailite do this too?

Which is why we educate our technicians to only use EC adhesives and not MC adhesives and to look out for it on the MSDS. Then they willknow that what they are using is not Industrial grade adhesive.

sensualnails said:
Glue generally dries faster than resin, hence the resin activator used to speed up the drying process. As resin dries more slowly than glue it can be better for beginners when attaching nail tips, if they don`t quite get it right first time whereas with glue...hey presto its quick.

EC adhesive dries with Pressure which is why you do not need to activate it when applying tips. Nothing to do with one drying faster than the other. The thinner the adhesive the faster it will dry, with or with out activator.

sensualnails said:
I`ve used superglue in emergencies for re-applying nail tips and it breaks down within a couple of days whereas resin or nail glue doesn`t

Of course it does ... because it is industrial grade water soluble MC adhesive that was never meant to be used on the human body. Another reason for technicians to only buy trusted brands tha use pharmaceutical grade EC adhesives and not 'knock off' products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back