Resistant roots, help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molliedolliee

Reaction score
Hi guys. Today I did a lady's hair in the salon who we took ombre. I did 6/07 and 6/0 kp wella on her roots and as her dark colour on top. The roots didn't take and she later told me that she had tried to lighten he own hair at home last year. So her roots are resistant now. She's back in on Monday for her roots and I was thinking of using colour touch maybe a mix of a 6 and a 5. What do you think? The rest of the colour turned out lovely it's just these resistant roots?

If it was last year, her outgrowth of her roots must be at least 5cm long. Is that where the colour 'didn't take'?
If it took drab/khaki you should postpig (like prepig just afterwards). If grey is still there it has nothing to do with her previous lightening...

A semi might take better but if the roots are that white the semi will still look translucent, for my stubborn white clients I pre-soften it opens up the cuticles more, before applying any colour at all you just apply liquid peroxide 6% to dry hair on the roots with a brush or sponge and then dry it in and apply the colour as normal and it covers 100% it's always worked for me x

what is her natural colour? has she got any grey? what peroxide did you use?

Is the regrowth grey? If it is 30g 66/0 +2g 0/45 +6g 0/65 and 6% will make a tone similar to 6/07 but the double base will give better coverage on the resistant roots.

Actually in my last 3 years of being qualified, I have never presoftened hair with peroxide. Everyone works different, but when I find the hair is coarse or strawlike I use double bases or increase the base and only add little fashion tone. Also I mix the colour with a 20 vol. to not have better coverage but to have equalization of the pigmented and the white hair. Also I let the colour process for 35 min+ and apply a lot of product. I almost never failed, and when I find it still looks too translucent (even when clients never complained) I adjust the formula for the next visit.

I only use 6% to cover grey :/ that's what I was taught ??? x pre softening works wicked no need for mixing this and that just the target shade you want

It's hard to explain without showing you all a picture. It wasn't grey hair she's only 20 i know people can start having grey hairs early on in their life but this definatly wasn't grey. She had come in the salon with it like this it was lighter on the roots to start with. She said she tried to lighten it herself as I said above and last time she coloured it it was march but didn't take that well on the roots... I was told this after applying colour even though I asked in consultation what she'd previously had on and last time she had coloured her hair. Thankyou for your replies much appreciated.

Actually in my last 3 years of being qualified, I have never presoftened hair with peroxide. Everyone works different, but when I find the hair is coarse or strawlike I use double bases or increase the base and only add little fashion tone. Also I mix the colour with a 20 vol. to not have better coverage but to have equalization of the pigmented and the white hair. Also I let the colour process for 35 min+ and apply a lot of product. I almost never failed, and when I find it still looks too translucent (even when clients never complained) I adjust the formula for the next visit.

Me neither, the peroxides I use are acidic, they close the cuticle so seems pointless to me.

I'm not sure what it means in the OP 'now she is resistant'??

It's hard to explain without showing you all a picture. It wasn't grey hair she's only 20 i know people can start having grey hairs early on in their life but this definatly wasn't grey. She had come in the salon with it like this it was lighter on the roots to start with. She said she tried to lighten it herself as I said above and last time she coloured it it was march but didn't take that well on the roots... I was told this after applying colour even though I asked in consultation what she'd previously had on and last time she had coloured her hair. Thankyou for your replies much appreciated.

I think I'm following you, did you apply the formula over the previous colour too?

Could it be possible that the colour was deeper on the previous colour due to build up, maybe it looked closer to a 5 therefore made the roots look lighter???

I agree with the above too, unless you were lightening I would have probably used colour touch instead.

I think I'm following you, did you apply the formula over the previous colour too?

Could it be possible that the colour was deeper on the previous colour due to build up, maybe it looked closer to a 5 therefore made the roots look lighter???

I agree with the above too, unless you were lightening I would have probably used colour touch instead.

Yeah for the last few minutes ran it through. I feel pretty silly asking now you all probably think I'm stupid lol., it just really threw me

Where did the ombré come into it?

If you overlapped colour it will go darker making the roots look lighter x

Hi you need to use 20vols or 6% use a stronger mixing ratio will help with coverage this work with any colour brand. If the ratio is 1part colour to 2parts peroxide the try mixing 1.1 this is simple and quick. Also you can presoften with 20vols. Jenny

Where did the ombré come into it?

If you overlapped colour it will go darker making the roots look lighter x

Ombre was no where near roots. Roots were like it when she came in x

Do u use the same brand peroxide, do u measure with scales? How much product was applied?
What shampoos does she use at home/products cause sometimes this can cause a barrier x

Do u use the same brand peroxide, do u measure with scales? How much product was applied?
What shampoos does she use at home/products cause sometimes this can cause a barrier x

Yes all this too!

I find generic peroxide can look wish washy.

So as far as I got it right the colour on the root looks grey as there is no warmth/depth to it.
Try to prepig with 7/34 color touch and then with a 6/0 color touch to give both back to the hair. Feather lightly to avoid any banding. For the ends you could apply conditioner to omit getting stained while rinsing two times. What do you think?

Hi everyone thankyou all for your replies she came in this morning and I sorted it and now look :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399887505.290871.jpg

Latest posts

Back