Retail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedAdmiral

Reaction score
To be honest retail doesnt make up any part of my business - I do tell clients about my products but dont really push them. I'm a great sales person when I want to be tho for some reason that doesnt come across here ( only solar oil get sold each and every week!) Does anyone have any advice for raising sales, I dont retail much so does anyone have product ideas that work for them?

A good product knowledge helps me sell things easier cause you can explain the product, its ingredients, etc, without looking/sounding as if you are forcing the client.

Also perhaps let the clients sample the products. That way they can experience how good a product is.

I have the same problem.
Just can't sell anything,
any tips geeks???

I do an awful lot of retail, and my advice is don't try to 'sell' anything, rather 'tell' them about it. Nobody likes being pushed a product, so if you feel a product would benefit them as part of their homecare or solve a problem they are having then talk to them about it, get the product out, let them try it, get them excited about it & most of all make sure you've tried the product or asked others who have so you can tell them what others have gotten from the product.

Also, never be embaressed about the price, don't assume they can't afford something, just inform them of the price & let them decide. So often I hear "it's quite expensive but it is good", which is entirely the wrong thing to say!

When I do a facial, after I've applied the veil/mask/whatever, I massage their hands and then let them snooze for the remaining 15 minutes. While they're snoring I get out all the homecare products I would recommend to them and write out their skincare regime. At the end of the facial I offer them a glass of water and then invite them to take a seat so that we can run through what I did and why I did it, and what I advise for homecare. I talk through each item in turn, allowing them to sample and smell them (I have samples just for this purpose) and then explain that ideally they should have another facial in x weeks (dependent upon their individual needs). I have my diary open at the relevant week, explain about my money back guarantee and await the purchase. So far it's worked every time. I believe that I would be failing in my duty of care to my client if I didn't show them how to continue the good work we did in the salon.
Retail needs to form a substantial part of your income if you want to be really successful.
There are lots of courses around which can help with your sales technique - click on the following link to see what Business Link has to offer in the way of help - a lot of it is free too!
Selling | Business Link

Hi there - I agree with what has already been said but if you feel self conscious about retailing I would start building up your selling skills. Firstly you yourself needs to believe in what you are retailing otherwise it is hard to convince others plus you need to really know your products. Some people are much easier to sell to than others. With the sceptical ones I work on them slower and do not force it. I offer a free skin consultation and talk to them about recommendations. I am now working on a product newsletter which I send out with every order or client that comes to me.

Believe in your product and be prepared to say why it is so good.

Here's something that my salon software provider sent me. It's really handy!

How to Increase Skincare Sales

Despite previous positive forecasts for the beauty industry, industry experts report that the latest research suggests that the recession has begun to affect the industry (Mintel Beauty Innovation, November 2008). Experts forecast that the next year will be one of consolidation as women try to cut back on spending. Only the strongest skincare brands can expect to survive as customers demand even for more their money. However Mintel market intelligence have also identified a number of consumer trends which have captured the consumer’s imagination and may help to drive sales in this difficult time.

 Trends

• Women will look for get more for less, and want products which offer clearly demonstrable benefits.
• Consumers are increasingly looking to purchase products which are sustainable and don’t test on animals.
• Consumers are increasingly expressing preferences for ‘natural’ products which are derived from organic or otherwise pure ingredients, such as plant extracts.
• Conversely, another set of consumers are increasingly sold on the scientific approach and look for products which contain ingredients like ceramides and antioxidants.

 Sell Sell Sell

Armed with this knowledge there are a ways you have adapt your approach to sales to monopolise on the current climate: -

• Personal recommendation still remains the most important factor in driving sales in this market. A survey of 30,000 salon users conducted this year found that over half of respondents who purchase products from a salon do so on the recommendation of a professional (Mintel). Therefore, beauty professionals should ensure they tailor their approach in to each treatment, taking the client through the products used, including all the different features and benefits.
• All beauty salons will benefit from having a range of products in stock which offer different benefits which appeal to different customers, for example stocking both organic and lab-developed skincare ranges all, of which should boast multiple benefits and have a good reputation in the industry.
• Premium skincare brands also enjoy a relatively high degree of loyalty (Mintel, 2004), indicating the importance of maintaining a record of a client’s preferences in order to maximise on repeat purchases.
• Similarly, hand creams and facial creams have been found to be the most frequently applied products, indicating that these could provide a foot-in-the door in terms of both developing brand loyalty and cross selling to serums, cleansers and exfoliators.
• Finally, offering clients do don’t usually purchase products on top of their treatments trailed sized samples of basic skincare products may be effective in encouraging them to adopt an allegiance to a particular brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having probs too.

I have a retail cabinet and it has a decal on it with ALL PRODUCTS FOR SALE on it.
People STILL don't know I sell things!!!

I send them emails with recommended products.

I tell them after a facial that I have supporting retail available to them which will prolong the benefits of their facial.

I have also told them that the retail products would make fantastic christmas gifts.

Fabulous Advice peeps!
I have no problems selling to professionals in fact I have sold to loads of ya at trade shows but in my salon I am just not hitting targets I may have in other places. My last job I was no.1 seller its crazy - maybe I am trying to people please in my salon.
I admit my displays are not ideal for people to just walk up and buy from as they are arranged in pretty displays and should just be uniform neat rows that say pick me up!
I'm making some gift bags/boxes up right now and hope they will increase product sales.

I'm making some gift bags/boxes up right now and hope they will increase product sales.

Was just going to say - get some little organza bags or little boxes etc and put some small sample size type items. That way the gift bags will be cheap and clients get to try them.

Latest posts

Back