Retail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickie@Nailmania-Limited

Goldie Hawn Geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am nearly at the point of signing the lease for my tiny salon in Tunbridge Wells. Budget is going down quickly though :cry: . I am hoping that the salon will be open by the end of November.

However, it has suddenly occurred to me that I have very little to retail but even worse not really enough money left to buy anything really significant. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am quite a creative-minded person (no pun intended!) but so far I nothing has come to mind.

Any ideas would be extremely welcome ... please!!!! :rolleyes:

Nickie,

How quickly can your supplier get deliveries to you?
Not ideal and don't know how successful but maybe if you had a few samples of things you think might sell, make the sale with the client on a 'to be delivered' basis, so they pay for the item, you order it and the client gets it in a few days - no different to how Virgin Cosmetics or Ann Summers works. That way you already have the money from the customer to buy the goods.

Alternatively, buy 2/3 of each retail item to keep initial outlay low and when someone buys one, order 2 more say. I know you won't benefit initailly from bulk buy discounts but if it gets you some retail sales rather than none it might be worth it?

B x

Hi Nickie

Great news about your salon then ............. yeh
good girl!
It doesnt seem five mins since i was opening mine last novembr 12 months down the line.........an everything going good, Its been hard but all worth it in the end
I have gained some lovely clients along the way an really enjoy your job

I know what you mean rgarding funds though, they go down very quickly

anyway chick i wish you the best of luck

bbfn

Hi Nikki

Start saving those empty boxes hun, eg. solar oils and any other boxes you may have

Give your local OSNS a tinkle they may be able to help you out with display boxes for Solar ranges or any other ranges hun - i saw some that mine were throwing out and i asked if i could have them

Even if you put a couple of full boxes in front of your disply and the empty boxes behind !

Ive just given mine away im afraid otherwise i woud have happily posted them to you

Do you have posters too ? and CND catalogues etc these all help towards creating the ambiance - you can keep your salon simple but gorgeous - you dont need to have huge retail stock (she says you should see mine !!)

Also maybe some of the mini ranges - Solar Butter, Solar Oils (a must in the pinkies and 1/4 oz - these will go very very quickly), Cucumber Heel Therapies etc as a taster for clients and to entice them to Creative products - you could use one of the Solar range presentation boxes and display a range of the solar products in them no just the oils or whatever the box has on them

Id also suggest some of the scentsations ranges too - again you dont need many to display - get yourself some of the Scentsations small brochures too so people can see what other scents are available, also make sure you have one or two bottles to offer to clients following their service - they love em and so easy to retail - i also have solar silk and a solar butter and depending on the clients skin (which you'll feel as you work on them) is what i offer and talk about at the end of the service

hope this helps hun and best wishes - bet your very excited

kx

Nickie@Nailmania-Limited said:
Hi all,

I am nearly at the point of signing the lease for my tiny salon in Tunbridge Wells. Budget is going down quickly though :cry: . I am hoping that the salon will be open by the end of November.

However, it has suddenly occurred to me that I have very little to retail but even worse not really enough money left to buy anything really significant. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am quite a creative-minded person (no pun intended!) but so far I nothing has come to mind.

Any ideas would be extremely welcome ... please!!!! :rolleyes:

wot a good idea , of saving the empty boxes , i never thought of that but it would make it look like you have got a more substancial (sp?) retail area , :)

Hi ya,

I think Karren's come up with some great ideas for you!

Don't forget the acetone-free nail polish remover - that's a must!

Good luck and best wishes,

Karen
xxx

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks very much for your kind comments

kx

just thought i'd add ideas from my salon (i open saturday...:eek: :eek: :Scared: )
* display cabinet from ikea (£35)
* mini-solar oils, toughen-up, 2xsolar manicure and 2xsolar butter, with loads of shiny gold stars scattered all over (£1 for MILLIONS from internacionale!)
* st tropez retail items (i bought one of each - i know i can get more stock within 2-3days)
* uv teeth whitening kits and tooth fairy home kits, decorated with loads of gorgeous pretend pink petals (again from internacionale).

it looks loads more expensive than it actually is - and i know i can order more if needs be.

also i contacted biosculpture, and they do a 'consignment stand' this has just about ALL their retail items, and costs NOTHING for 6wks. after 6wks you can EITHER send back what you haven't sold and pay for what you have sold, or keep the stand and pay for the stock. THis is brill for me as i'll prob keep it, but gives me a bit of a breather!!!

so in addtion to what has already been said, use minimum stock, decorate with unusual, pretty bits n pieces and contact your suppliers for freebies! after all it's in their interest to help you...the more you sell to your clients, the more they'll sell to you!
god my answers are always soooo long winded...soz guys if you're asleep by now :o :o :o

I'm excited for ya Nickie ... can't believe it's all a reality now!!

The truth is the more you have on display the more you sell (this is really true) abundance makes an impact and sells for you ...but if you can't do that then try to create an illusion of abundance as has been suggested.

All clients need SolarOil, Enamel Remover, files or buffers, hand lotion, enamels and treatments. The better they are at homecare, the easier it is for you. If they are not encouraged to look after what they have paid for, then their nail enhancements will not last as long.

If you are opening up a salon, be sure to let head office know when you place your order and they will send you free salon display material .... very 'up market' banners with retail bags and lots of other cool stuff. There are also beautiful consumer brochures available as well as gorgeous aftercare leaflets that will also promote your retail items.

The best of luck with your new salon. xx We'll meet next summer for a coffee and you can tell me all about it.

Just an idea, but when I order from Grafton they give you an invoice in a months time, just helps out a bit, perhaps Creative offer that system too!

All the best

You can get your months credit by using a credit card. I do not believe that Designer Nails will give a credit account to a new customer with out them filllingout an application form etc.

Easier to use your credit card ... that is what it is for. If youpay it on thime there is no fee.

I would say it's probably safer to use dummy boxes if you like, that way there is no risk of things being lifted. Keep the real stuff locked away.

Deb379

Deb379 said:
I would say it's probably safer to use dummy boxes if you like, that way there is no risk of things being lifted. Keep the real stuff locked away.

Deb379
Got to say that if I was a client this suggestion would not send good 'signals' to me! Retail has to be seen or you will not sell it.

I would rather see retail in a cabinet than dummy boxes with nothing in them! My opinion.

This was something which came up at college when we were talking about security. It's something that would be useful if you were on your own and couldn't keep an eye on things all the time. You could keep a few items out but I think putting everything out is a risk.

Deb379

Latest posts

Back