Reverse French Manicure - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Hi,

I saw the most fabulous client on Tuesday and had the best time ever. She was such an inspiration and I was on cloud 9 for the rest of the evening, but that's another story.

To get to the problem at hand .... she requested (what I call) a reverse French Manicure. This is where you paint the pink on first and then paint the white tip over the pink.

Now as some of you know, I have only just mastered a normal French manicure (white first, then pink) thanks to the miracle that is Nail Fresh.

Having to perform a reverse French manicure knocked me a bit as I have never done a French manicure like this before, and I knew I wouldn't be able to use my Nail Fresh.

Needless to say, my hand started shaking like an alcoholics again because I was so nervous and did the best I could. She also wanted me to use her OPI varnishes which I wasn't used to. I found the OPI varnishes quite "thick" compared to Creative enamels and more difficult to work with.

So here is my question to you super duper Geeks who think nothing of a French manicure. Besides an ultra steady hand, how do you cope with a reverse French Manicure ? How do you manage to get a perfectly crisp smile line without using Nail Fresh or if you do, how do you go about it ??

Any help would be much appreciated as I know I'll be seeing this client again and next time, I want to be ready !

Thanks

River

River said:
Hi,

I saw the most fabulous client on Tuesday and had the best time ever. She was such an inspiration and I was on cloud 9 for the rest of the evening, but that's another story.

To get to the problem at hand .... she requested (what I call) a reverse French Manicure. This is where you paint the pink on first and then paint the white tip over the pink.

Now as some of you know, I have only just mastered a normal French manicure (white first, then pink) thanks to the miracle that is Nail Fresh.

Having to perform a reverse French manicure knocked me a bit as I have never done a French manicure like this before, and I knew I wouldn't be able to use my Nail Fresh.

Needless to say, my hand started shaking like an alcoholics again because I was so nervous and did the best I could. She also wanted me to use her OPI varnishes which I wasn't used to. I found the OPI varnishes quite "thick" compared to Creative enamels and more difficult to work with.

So here is my question to you super duper Geeks who think nothing of a French manicure. Besides an ultra steady hand, how do you cope with a reverse French Manicure ? How do you manage to get a perfectly crisp smile line without using Nail Fresh or if you do, how do you go about it ??

Any help would be much appreciated as I know I'll be seeing this client again and next time, I want to be ready !

Thanks

River

Oh hun,i know this is gona be the answer you didn't want,but the only way is to practise because there is little you can do to correct mistakes when applying white over pink,sorry chick x x x

My trick is to work as fast as I can with the French White. The quicker you work the less likely you are to mess up. The slower you try to go ... the more you wobble!! :)

Mind you, if you are very gentle and light handed, you can still correct with Nail Fresh even on this type of paint job. Your top coat will pull everything together afterward.

Just don't drag your brush and remove too much of the pink, and use only the point of the brush very lightly and with a minimum amount of Nail Fresh on it.

There are always ways to do things!!

i wipe as much polish off the brush as poss and do it as fast and smooth as poss. If you think about it too much thats when mistakes happen. if necessary better to do two thin coats than one bulky. I always sandwich my French...so once there is another light pink coat on top plus a high shine top coat...the finished product always looks really nice.

Hi
I was taught at college that this was the normal way to do a french polish so i dont know why you call it reversed!.

As was previously said the bestway is to practice and more practice! Make sure you rest your working hand on the other and this helps to stop any wobbly lines.

Hope this helps!

Theresa

oey said:
Hi
I was taught at college that this was the normal way to do a french polish so i dont know why you call it reversed!.

As was previously said the bestway is to practice and more practice! Make sure you rest your working hand on the other and this helps to stop any wobbly lines.

Hope this helps!

Theresa

I was taught this way as well, when someone told me to paint the white on first i could have kissed them !
I used to have to wipe everything off & start again as i always made mistakes when i applied the white.
Could you do one nail your way with your polish & another nail her way & show her the difference ? Maybe she will go for it then

oey said:
Hi

Hope this helps!

Theresa

I think people are taught different things, but I was always taught to do the white first and then the pink.

I think quite a few people do it this way. I personally think the pink first and then white looks a bit silly, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for all the help girls !!

River

Totallly depends on the finished look the client wants ... soft or blinging white!

geeg said:
Totallly depends on the finished look the client wants ... soft or blinging white!

Too true !

If I'm not mistaken, you like the "sandwich french" - pink, then white, then pink again.

Different things for different people. I don't think there is a hard and set rule for French Manicures.

River

I love the french manicure look on my natural nails and found that practising on my own nails helped loads. Especially mastering painting a french on your own nails with the opposite hand to which you normally use. Once I was competent at painting my white tips with my left hand(i'm right handed), I found painting a clients a doddle. It also helps to have the right amount of polish on the brush and to swipe in one quick fluid movemement. HTH:)

Latest posts

Back