Reykjavik - Iceland

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about going to Reykjavik for my 30th birthday next year and was wondering if any of you have been ?

After I choked on my coffee a couple of times (it's really expensive) I still want to go but was wondering if there is a way of doing it on a shoe-string.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

River

Haven't been personaly, but had the chance to go for a long weekend.
My hubby won a free trip on a work competition, but we opted for a week lying in the sun in Malta instead. Shows you the price difference!:eek:

Although it would have been great, I don't think we could have afforded to eat out when we got there.:irked:

Have a great time if you go, let me know how the other half lives, lol.

Please Miss! I've been!

Actually, I've been several times, it's an amazing place! It is expensive but doesn't need to cost too much.

E.g, Icelandair often have very cheap deals (I think I used to fly from Gatwick with them) This often happens around Christmas, certain summer weeks etc and the Icelanders love to shop in L ondon and Paris!

I have to say, it is usually cheaper to book from there and I often had 2 return tickets (Reyjavik-London, L-R) and lost the half not used as this was cheaper!!

There are many hotels in Rey that are no bad and many trips to the amazing natural sights.

My advice would be to decide what type of Iceland you want to see: white nights and not so much ice and snow (it's a pretty green country actually) around June or the opposite end (4 hrs of twilight). Somewhere in the middle could be good? Find a Rey. travel agent and try to book through them for the cheap flights etc.

BYW the people are great, most speak good English, work very hard and play very hard. Boy, do they play.....specially Fri and Sat!!! They don't go to bed in the summer!

Have fun

How jealous of you am I Mum !

The air fair is not so expensive. I've managed to get some flights with Iceland Express for £150, it's everything after that, that is a killer.

The average price of a single dish meal is about £15, beer is between £5 - £6 per pint, all those wonderful excursions start from £50 up to £500 !!!

The cheapest accommodation I could find was with a hostel and that is still £52 pppn !

We were thinking of going for a week, but after doing some sums, it will cost about £800 - £1000 per person for the week (and that is a very tight budget).

So alas, I don't think we will be able to afford it. Perhaps I should start saving now and go on my 40th !!

In the meantime, has anyone been to Krakow in Poland as this is the second option :irked: :)

River

Hi River

Reyjavik is like London, it appears so expensive! Well it is but, if you're willing to compromise there is always an answer. There are hostels in the city that may not be 5* hotels but they will be clean (my daughter lived there in one for nearly 6 months and worked in Kentucky Fried Chicken!!!)

Any excursion can be pricy but you could hire a car and buy a map. If you don't go in the bad weather driving will be fine. If it is a bit icy, all Icelandic cars have snow chains on and everyone drives.

Maybe it's a trip for another time but if you really want to go don't be put off by the tourist prices.

I'm sure I've seen a post or 2 on here from an Icelander (there were also a few at the Nailympics) Maybe if you found them they could help?

mum said:
Please Miss! I've been!

Actually, I've been several times
OOh look! Mum's been to Iceland!

So sorry... couldnt resist!
:smack:

Glorsclaws said:
OOh look! Mum's been to Iceland!

So sorry... couldnt resist!
:smack:
arghh Glo u beat me to it LOL sorry mum, couldnt help it either LOL xxx

:smack: :smack: :smack: :smack:

That's 2 each :lol:

Thanks for the advice. I'll try and track them down.

If I can't got to the real thing, I might have to go to Iceland and buy some cakes to console myself .....:wink2:

River

Latest posts

Back