Ridges - age or product?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaQ

Reaction score
I gave a friend a Shellac mani last night. She has ridges on her nails that run from eponychium to free edge. I understand that this can be a normal sign of aging on the nail plate. She's 38.

These ridges only appeared to her once she had her l&p removed. She'd had them on for 4 months, also, when she had her l&p removed her nails were in a poor state...I didn't see them myself. It sounds as though she went to a NSS salon (in her words the techs were Chinese, hygiene wasn't the best and neither the salon nor the product/packaging branded, there is another salon in town that another friend goes to where the techs are Chinese, they don't speak English and use CND and the results are amazing, so I don't use the term NSS lightly before I get told off!!).

So at what age can ridges start to appear? Could it be the product that has caused it or is it just a coincidence that the ridges started appearing during the time she was regularly wearing l&p? Thanks x

I gave a friend a Shellac mani last night. She has ridges on her nails that run from eponychium to free edge. I understand that this can be a normal sign of aging on the nail plate. She's 38.

These ridges only appeared to her once she had her l&p removed. She'd had them on for 4 months, also, when she had her l&p removed her nails were in a poor state...I didn't see them myself. It sounds as though she went to a NSS salon (in her words the techs were Chinese, hygiene wasn't the best and neither the salon nor the product/packaging branded, there is another salon in town that another friend goes to where the techs are Chinese, they don't speak English and use CND and the results are amazing, so I don't use the term NSS lightly before I get told off!!).

So at what age can ridges start to appear? Could it be the product that has caused it or is it just a coincidence that the ridges started appearing during the time she was regularly wearing l&p? Thanks x[/QUOTE

It's a tricky one because you didn't see the nails prior to her having the acrylics.

I've got clients with ridges that have appeared once they've worn gels or acrylics and had lot of buffing of the natural nail. On some the ridges have grown out on others they've stayed put. The ones where the ridges have gone or improved I put down to the buffing of the nails. They've all had shellac so there has been no buffing from me!

On the other hand I've got clients of similar age to these who have ridges but they've never worn enhancements so must be an age related thing.

Not much help I know, sorry xx

If ridges are coming up from the eponichyium (and it's not all 10 nails that are affected) one of the possible cause is injury to the nail matrix, usually caused by trauma to the base of the nail (trapping fingers in car door etc)
Once this happens, the nail produced by the injured matrix will always grow with a deformity

P.s. I'm no expert. Learned this in my CND training. Pls correct me if I'm wrong... X

Thanks for replying girls, it's on all 10 nails, so I guess we'll have to wait & see what happens. She's happy with her Shellac for now and I've given her a small bottle of solar oil to apply too xx

Latest posts

Back