ridges on nail plate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahlouise

Reaction score
hi geeks,
my friend has ridges on her nail plate(about three per nail going across the nail plate)she wants tips which i would use fiberglass and natural tips...but i am unsure about doing her nails as she has these ridges..would i have to fill the ridges before doing the fiberglass system?any advise would be great..thankyou.

Why not buff the ridges out before you tip? Why fiberglass?

Why not buff the ridges out before you tip? Why fiberglass?
as i have only done fiberglass/silk and tip n dip...looking to do more training very soon.would you not use fiberglass for this then?

Its a personal choice I dont ever do any fabric appliction for enhancements just natural nail repairs. Liquid and powder or gel. I just dont like how thin they are and flat and all they layers. If that is what you know and are comfortable with by all means have a go you will only know for yourself if you try

I wouldn't buff the ridges out, if you do that you're going to thin the nail plate. How prominate are these ridges?

I would not buff the ridges out either, you will substantially weaken the natural nail plate.

Are they on the thumb nail by any chance?? Bet they are!!

Your Fabric application will be just fine over a nail like this with these ridges.

Do the routine as usual and if they are still noticeable after 2 or 3 coats of resin, then just add resin to the areas that are still uneven until they are filled and you can buff them smooth.

Actually, a fabric wrap on this type of nail is very suitable because wraps are more flexible and move with the natural nail. THIS type of nail will flex unevenly because of the different thicknesses of the plate and a wrap will cope better than a rigid overlay.

thankyou so much for that gigi! and yes the ridges are on the thumb nails aswel as well of the rest of her nails there is three ridges going across the nail plate,i shall try what you advised..thankyou.

I wouldn't buff the ridges out, if you do that you're going to thin the nail plate. How prominate are these ridges?
these ridges do stand out and quite dented into the nail plate.

i have just looked in my book that shows you all types of nail diseases and disorders it seems it is called habit tic and not ridges that my friend has...sorry guys for geting that wrong..would i still do the same as what you advised gigi?

i have just looked in my book that shows you all types of nail diseases and disorders it seems it is called habit tic and not ridges that my friend has...sorry guys for geting that wrong..would i still do the same as what you advised gigi?

absolutely ... when I read your description I was pretty sure it was habit tic.

oh right..thanks for your help gigi x

hi guys i did not want to make this question as a new thread but hear goes..using resin on the nail plate every time i do a set of tip n dips or even fiberglass system don't the resin (after time) damage the nail plate?or am i asking a silly question?:smack:

what is habit tic I have never heard of it. its not in my book under disease and disorders. sorry when i hear ridges they are slight and easly buffed with out thinning the nail plate.

hi guys i did not want to make this question as a new thread but hear goes..using resin on the nail plate every time i do a set of tip n dips or even fiberglass system don't the resin (after time) damage the nail plate?or am i asking a silly question?:smack:
There won't be any damage from your resin provided you're using EC resin.
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/51189-ca-resin-information.html
hth's

what is habit tic I have never heard of it. its not in my book under disease and disorders. sorry when i hear ridges they are slight and easly buffed with out thinning the nail plate.
Habit tic occurs when someone picks or rubs at their nail/eponychium (for example) without knowing/realising they're doing it, this can then cause ridges/furrows in the nail.

EC?:irked:

EC is Ethyl Cyanoacrylate (highly refined adhesive for use on the human body)

as opposed to

MC or Methyl Cyanoacrylate (Better known as super glue). Which should never be used to stick on tips or nails or anything else to the body.

EC is Ethyl Cyanoacrylate (highly refined adhesive for use on the human body)

as opposed to

MC or Methyl Cyanoacrylate (Better known as super glue). Which should never be used to stick on tips or nails or anything else to the body.

hope this dont sound stupid...does it say on the resin if its ec or mc? as i have lookes on my resin bottels and niether say if its ec or mc x

What product do you use?

Latest posts

Back