Ridiculous but how do you ask for money?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know exactly what you mean about asking people for money. I had a lady (can't call her a client) who came, discussed the treatment she wanted even down to a bit of nail art, arranged an appointment, then I told her the price and I didn't see her for dust. Not heard from her since. It wasn't a huge price, but she was wanting tips, overlay, polish and nail art. I was determined I wasn't going to sit for a coupls of hours or more for £10. I had my price list in full view as well. Unfortunately she was someone I vaguely knew, so I think she thought she would have the service for nothing. The others are quite right, you have spent money on training, put in hours of devotion, spent loads and products, so in my opionon your time is as good as anyone elses!:D

I too felt uneasy asking for payment when I first started. I just used to wait for them to say how much. But I just listened to the beauty girl in the salon. She never mucked around. As soon has she was done with her treatment, she would come straight out of her room, straight to the reception, open her appointment book, then say 'that will be just £xx for today please, when would you like to rebook?' So I started to copy her.

I dont have a tip money box yet but I am getting one, I just have a little purse in my bag to keep it seperate atm. The hairdressers once said to me to get one to keep it on my desk. Its not asking for a tip but it's there if they do want to tip. She also said that clients sometimes dont like you seeing how much they have tipped, sometimes they feel tight if they don't have much change in their purse so this way they can do it discreetly without feeling embarrassed.

(I do apologize for my spelling mistakes just lately but i have been feeling really run down lately and my brain does't seem to be registering properly! Im not normally lazy)

Last edited by a moderator:
About tip boxes etc...

One of my clients used to tell me to buy a money box type thing to put on my desk for tips as her old tech had one where she used to live in Manchester.
I didn't think anymore about it, and then a few weeks later she arrived for her appointment with a little parcel for me - when I opened it up it was a little pink sparkly piggy bank! She said she saw this & thought of me!??! Lol.

Now my clients don't feel embarassed by giving me a tip, it's at their own discretion if they want to & I have no idea how much each one puts in either.
Lots of them like to say 'I'll just feed the pig'.........:D

So glad I found this thread!

I recently just had my itec and fetac exams, and throughout the year I have been practicing manicures and pedicures (I don't do gel/acylic nails..yet!) and I am getting to the stage now where I think I have done enough freebies for everyone and I would like to start making a little bit of money, if only to cover the cost of my products, but I wasn't sure how to approach it with people.

I actually do like asking for my money too.........I think when you first start out your not confident in your work and therefore feel a little awkward asking, but as time goes on and your money add's up you want more lol

Then you start asking for your money with confidence, after all you worked for it!

Also I tend to price my service a couple of quid or so lower than a round figure...say for example ...a treatment was £32....you tend to get a tip of £3 as clients will give you the £35 and say keep the change :)

Also I tend to price my service a couple of quid or so lower than a round figure...say for example ...a treatment was £32....you tend to get a tip of £3 as clients will give you the £35 and say keep the change :)
I do this also. :)

My tips are in my piggy bank hidden away, yeah not sure right on the desk it would be a bit much...and mines a sparkly pig too! Union Jack diamonte pig from accessorise but you cant get £2 coins out the bum, bit of a design fault there... when im lucky to get tips I thank the client and show them the pig and they love him! But if they go to give a tip and havent got any change i just say 'thanks, dont worry about that just tell all your friends and enjoy it (their makeup, polished nails etc)

Latest posts

Back