RIP Nelson Mandela

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that we all have our own opinions, but Hazeleyes started this thread as a mark of respect and surely it should be just that!

Yes well I agree

He will be missed

Last edited:
Ok I respect the man as a leader. It is very worrying for white Africans how thing are now going to go he negotiated reasonable white land ownership, many who are now in power want the land reclaimed like in Zimbabwe, this was only really avoided due to Mandela staying alive. All very good but the majority blacks do not have the skills for the farms they grab of the whites and the culture is a very different one and a government is corrupt only now the poor blacks are poorer as the ones in power grab it for themselves. Think Robert maguabe swaggers around in flash motor and bling, while his people are starving and remember Ian smith the white leader in his modest old banger when the country was thriving? However lets not have free speech and just be very PC! Fine

Ok I respect the man as a leader. It is very worrying for white Africans how thing are now going to go he negotiated reasonable white land ownership, many who are now in power want the land reclaimed like in Zimbabwe, this was only really avoided due to Mandela staying alive. All very good but the majority blacks do not have the skills for the farms they grab of the whites and the culture is a very different one and a government is corrupt only now the poor blacks are poorer as the ones in power grab it for themselves. Think Robert maguabe swaggers around in flash motor and bling, while his people are starving and remember Ian smith the white leader in his modest old banger when the country was thriving? However lets not have free speech and just be very PC! Fine

Whose land was it initially? Wasn't it the blacks land to begin with anyway? So who will blame them for taking back what's rightfully theirs?

I agree with you about corruption etc but that isn't mandelas fault, as far as I can see- this is how Africa is in general unfortunately! As you have said certain things were only in place while he was alive! Now he's gone things will change of course. Many of the other African countries suffer the same issues.

Reactions: KHS
I think you get into complicated territory when you talk about giving back land rightfully... Who should it go to exactly? Should this not also happen in America and Australia then? Being married to a South African man I personally believe Mandela stopped a genocide of the white Afrikaans people many of his 'racist' comments are taken out of context and were actually more about the 'elite' than the 'white' people. It's important to remember there were many sides to the man but it is still a tragic loss
(Just one girls opinion)

I think you get into complicated territory when you talk about giving back land rightfully... Who should it go to exactly? Should this not also happen in America and Australia then? Being married to a South African man I personally believe Mandela stopped a genocide of the white Afrikaans people many of his 'racist' comments are taken out of context and were actually more about the 'elite' than the 'white' people. It's important to remember there were many sides to the man but it is still a tragic loss
(Just one girls opinion)

This is why I said I didn't want to have this convo on this particular thread! It stirs up too many personal feelings for everyone and it's really not how I hoped it would go!
Being black I really find it hard not to give my views on oppression and racism and I'm sure many others feel the same!

It's got nothing to do with being PC or not wanting people to give their opinions it's just I don't want to have this thread closed as the topic was one of respect and awe for the good that this man did!
Looks like I shall have to close....

This is why I said I didn't want to have this convo on this particular thread! It stirs up too many personal feelings for everyone and it's really not how I hoped it would go!
Being black I really find it hard not to give my views on oppression and racism and I'm sure many others feel the same!

It's got nothing to do with being PC or not wanting people to give their opinions it's just I don't want to have this thread closed as the topic was one of respect and awe for the good that this man did!
Looks like I shall have to close....

I hope I didn't offend you! Was trying to say that yes there are lots of views and lots of sides to the man but it doesn't take away from the sadness of the world losing him

I think out of respect this post should be closed. It has gone off track and turned from a place of condolence to a political debate.
I have very strong views on the fact that one mans terrorist is always going to be another's peace campaigner. However I wouldn't share them on a post written for those who are saddened to pay their respects.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I hope I didn't offend you! Was trying to say that yes there are lots of views and lots of sides to the man but it doesn't take away from the sadness of the world losing him

I'm not offended don't worry just sad the thread has ended up so off topic :-(

Not sure why there is always comments of closing posts - you may as well close this whole forum. ...I think this thread makes a good and interesting read. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I read so many times offence is only taken not given!! Probably not everyone is going to have heard or understands the history of Mandela. That's not a crime!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Not sure why there is always comments of closing posts - you may as well close this whole forum. ...I think this thread makes a good and interesting read. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I read so many times offence is only taken not given!! Probably not everyone is going to have heard or understands the history of Mandela. That's not a crime!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am not offended Virtues but the post is off subject. It is entitled RIP Nelson Mandela. Not "RIP Nelson Mandela, do you think he was a terrorist/murderer or the prodigal son?".

You wanna start another thread with that title then go ahead and I will gladly share my opinions on the corruption of his family and his actions whilst part of a terrorist organisation. But this thread isnt the place so it either needs cleaning up or closing.

I am not offended Virtues but the post is off subject. It is entitled RIP Nelson Mandela. Not "RIP Nelson Mandela, do you think he was a terrorist/murderer or the prodigal son?".

You wanna start another thread with that title then go ahead and I will gladly share my opinions on the corruption of his family and his actions whilst part of a terrorist organisation. But this thread isnt the place so it either needs cleaning up or closing.

This is what I'm trying to say but people won't listen! Perhaps I will just ask for it to close then.... Totally not the way I intended this thread to go....

Well I think he was a legend...

... and on that note, the thread shall now be closed as per the OP's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back