Roaccutane and Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceana

Reaction score
Is it acceptable for someone taking Roaccutane to have UV gel nails?

People taking it are advised to avoid sun exposure and sunbeds and was wondering if gel light units were included.

Thanks
x

whats roaccutane taken for clare??

Its an acne medication....very strong stuff with quite a few side effects but the results are supposed to be brilliant.

xx

dunno about wearing gels mate, isnt that the drug though that caused lots of suicides in teenagers?? causes deep depression?

try googling it to see if it reccomends staying away from u v lamps, as isnt the uv from lamps to cure gel the different uv from sunbeds??
ones uva ones uvb, i think the b rays give off the sun tan like rays,
mind you i could be wrong as its late and im on the vino!!!

Been googling...I know the rays are a lot less strong, smaller spectrum etc but it is still UV light....:eek:

Having been on accutane twice, I can tell you, there is no problem with wearing gel nails and needing to go under the uv lamp. It is not strong enough to cause any problems with the skin.

I would 'expect' not.. since in all likelihood, the 'client' gets more uv exposure walking from the front door of her home to her car or the end of her lawn.
I would "think".... I dont know for fact obviously.

BUT since no one gets tanned hands from these uv lamps (meant for gel nails)...... then I'm going to guess no, there is no danger.

HOWEVER don't take my word for it.
Just guessing and tossing ideas out there.

Just to be on the safe side I would ask for clarification from her consultant.
I know you can't have waxing done if on roacutaine, or for 6 months after. Remember that her skin is going to be extremely dry and very delicate on her hands as well. Roaccutaine patients often suffer the opposite of what they were used to, with skin now being so dry it can literally peel off in sensitive areas like lips.

I had a client on roaccutane and she had to stop having them, mainly because her nails would peel so badly that they lifted the gel off completely. No matter what I tried I couldn't get those darned things not to lift.

I have taken roaccutane myself and would personally say no to this treatment.

Everyone reacts different to this & luckily i had no problems apart from extreme dry skin all over my body & face. My friend waxed my eyebrows whilst i was still taking medication & it literally took the skin off & took 2 weeks to heel. I was also banned from the sunbeds & sunbathing by the dermatologist.

My friend waxed my eyebrows whilst i was still taking medication & it literally took the skin off & took 2 weeks to heel.

Ouch!!:eek: :cry: :eek: :hug:

Thanks guys....

I agree to getting some clarification from GP....yes I know all about uv gel units but this drug is pretty harsh and I won't risk my client and I take things like this very seriously.

Interesting about your client lifting sass.......I will bear that one in mind.

Thanks xxxx

If she cant have gel nails why not try her with L&P nails :hug:

I will :wink2:

Thanks for all your replies.

Makes you think though doesn't it!

Latest posts

Back