Rockstar Shellac Nails lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abicrunch

Reaction score
Hi All

I hope that you can shed some light on a problem that I have had.

I done Rockstar shellac on myself, that was 4 weeks ago and all is well apart from maybe 3 nails seem to have lifted a little round the cuticle but this hasnt caused a problem for me. I normally wear shellac for 3-4 weeks with no problems. Anyway, I done my mums nails about 3 weeks ago and she has bad eyes so has only just noticed that 8 of her rockstar nails have lifted at the cuticle as well. She normally wears shellac for 4 weeks sometimes she has even gone 6 weeks, obviously not looking that great by this time but thats what she is like. Anyway, I am trying to remember what I did.

Im very low on scrubfresh so am wondering did I use this on her like I normally do or did I use my normal nail sanitiser/nail dehydrator that I bought from Hairways. I used this to sanitise my files as well. I dont remember using it but am trying to think of reasons why it has lifted and now questioning everything I done.

The other thing that springs to mind is , because I sprinkled the glitter in an uncured coat of negligee then cured, do you think that the shellac is not curing properly with such a heavy amount of glitter. I prefer this method as it makes it so sparkly. I used a lilac glitter so not that dark as ive heard people are having problems with the darker glitters. Its a bit scary really, as she now wants to have the dark blue martha stewart glitter. I will note down what I do from start to finish and keep an eye on them next time to see what happens.

Does anyone else have problems with lifting round the cuticle with rockstar nails. I do notice that this sometimes happens when I wear the french using negiglee, but never with colour, why is this.

Has anyone tried using the normal nail dehydrater instead of scrubfresh with success. Im running very low of scrubfresh, and dont want to put in an order of just one thing and pay the high postage costs just for one thing but dont need anything else at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Abi

Hi All

The other thing that springs to mind is , because I sprinkled the glitter in an uncured coat of negligee then cured, do you think that the shellac is not curing properly with such a heavy amount of glitter.

I do notice that this sometimes happens when I wear the french using negiglee, but never with colour, why is this.

Has anyone tried using the normal nail dehydrater instead of scrubfresh with success. Im running very low of scrubfresh, and dont want to put in an order of just one thing and pay the high postage costs just for one thing but dont need anything else at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Abi

I would never use anything other than Scrubfresh to temporarily dehydrate the nail... this could be the reason for the lifting, who knows?

You mention that you sprinkle the glitter onto the uncured Shellac... do you tap off the excess?... if not you may just have too much glitter on the nail and as you have said, the Shellac may not have cured properly.

You say that the only time you have problems is with the lighter colours and you don't have the problem with darker ones... my guess is that you are more careful when you apply the dark colours, but when you use a very sheer light colour like Negligee, it's not as easy to see if you have touched the skin or flooded the cuticle. If the Shellac touches the skin it will lift straight off as it won't adhere to skin, only nail.

HTHs :hug:

Hi not sure why you are using colour and then covering with glitter. The way I do mine is :-

1. Sanitise
  2. File
  3. Scrub Fresh or dehydrator
  4. Bonder
  5. LCN Wilde Pedique Gel (last forever on the toes)
  6. Cure for 2 mins
  7. Shake glitter over the toe nails and press gently into the tacky layer, remove excess from the skin.
  8. Clear gel to top and cure for 2 mins
  9. Wipe over with sticky remover
  10. Finished

Hi not sure why you are using colour and then covering with glitter. The way I do mine is :-

1. Sanitise
  2. File
  3. Scrub Fresh or dehydrator
  4. Bonder
  5. LCN Wilde Pedique Gel (last forever on the toes)
  6. Cure for 2 mins
  7. Shake glitter over the toe nails and press gently into the tacky layer, remove excess from the skin.
  8. Clear gel to top and cure for 2 mins
  9. Wipe over with sticky remover
  10. Finished

Hi Thanks for your replies. I use shellac. I use the negligee colour which is near enough clear then sprinkle my glitter in that so not actually colour as you dont end up seeing the colour underneath, but obviously need the shellac for the glitter to adhere to. Ax

I would never use anything other than Scrubfresh to temporarily dehydrate the nail... this could be the reason for the lifting, who knows?

You mention that you sprinkle the glitter onto the uncured Shellac... do you tap off the excess?... if not you may just have too much glitter on the nail and as you have said, the Shellac may not have cured properly.

You say that the only time you have problems is with the lighter colours and you don't have the problem with darker ones... my guess is that you are more careful when you apply the dark colours, but when you use a very sheer light colour like Negligee, it's not as easy to see if you have touched the skin or flooded the cuticle. If the Shellac touches the skin it will lift straight off as it won't adhere to skin, only nail.

HTHs :hug:

Hi thanks for your reply. I dont normally use anything other than scrubfresh, but im running low so started to wonder why I had lift, so then I started to question wether I used the scrubfresh or nail dehydrator. It was only on my mum also, not a paying client, but cant remember if I did or not. What I meant was I have had lift before but only after a couple of weeks when I have used negligee, not any other lighter or darker colour, and my mum has never had lifting before, only since adding the glitter to the shellac. I also add 2 topcoats so i get a smooth finish. I dont normally go near the cuticle but I can see what you mean with the clearer colours, they are easier to put on, however I use a pointed orangewood stick and go round the cuticle to check that none has flooded the cuticle so cant see that this was the problem. If it was something that I had done on the pep, wouldnt it had lifted before nearly 3 weeks. I would have thought you woulld have noticed it after say 4-5 days. So im still baffled as to why the lift. I assume no one has noticed lift with adding glitter. Just wanted to check as obviously doesnt look good, but at least it was only on my mum.

Just to confirm I do tap the excess glitter off as well.

So has anyone else only had lifting with rockstar shellac or is it just me. Maybe just a slight glitch. I still love the rockstar nails and im doing my nails tomorrow and my mums again friday so will see how they last. Ax

Hi Abi,

I'm new to nails and have only just taken my Shellac training so can't claim to be anything other than a Newbie but you mention it's been 3 weeks since you did the nails - do you know when the lifted started? Surely anything after 14 days is a bonus?!? It sounds like you're getting excellent time out of your usual Shellac!

Lucy

Hi Abi,

I'm new to nails and have only just taken my Shellac training so can't claim to be anything other than a Newbie but you mention it's been 3 weeks since you did the nails - do you know when the lifted started? Surely anything after 14 days is a bonus?!? It sounds like you're getting excellent time out of your usual Shellac!

Lucy

Hi Lucy, you make an EXCELLENT point. If the Shellac is lifting after two weeks, then that could be the problem. Shellac really should be applied every two weeks.

Latest posts

Back