Rockstars with Gelish on top of acrylic are peeling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty*Rox

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

As the title says, i'm having problems with rockstars peeling when I apply it using Gelish on top of acrylic fingernails.

I apply 1 coat of colour/sheer (no base as its not needed with acrylics)
Cure
Burnish glitter into the tacky layer
Topcoat cure
2nd topcoat cure

Im using Gelish and S2 irresistible glitter in silver and gold.

I do loads of rockstar toes and its lasts forever, never chips or peels, just wondered if anyone had the same problem or could advise me if im missing some miracle step out that could make these last better on fingernails

I have a pic of the problem here, this was a few days ago and more have started to peel.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 265
Ive just been reading through the forum and found that the acrylic nail should be rough before application of rockstar/gelish, ive always smoothed the acrylic nail before application of just gelish and had no problems, but maybe this is where im going wrong with rockstar?

Yes the same as any gel coating it needs to go on to a rough surface or a tacky inhibition layer to adhere. Finishing the enhancement up to a 180 grit file gives the required surface before applying Gelish works for me.

I always finish with a 180 grit before adding gelish ontop but still find it chips on the free edge. When i did my acrylics course a few weeks back i had a model that i was supposed to do a natural set on but she really wanted French, so i finished the nails, buffed to a shine and then put dual coat on and showed my teacher. After that i removed most of the dual coat with acetone (can't remove it all like that, have to buff it off) and proceded with gelish French ontop of that. I told her i didn't know how it would last and she agreed. Well the point of the story is that she came for an infill the other day and her nails were perfect! The white gelish looked like it had been applied the day before!

Im not sure f it was the dual coat or something else but i did a set of gelish on acrylics the other day and i tried putting a thin coat of dual coat on the tip and the sides of the free edge before gelish application and i told her to keep me posted about chips etc.

I am redoing my gelish on my acrylics later today because of chips, I'm gonna try adding dual coat to the tips and see what happens.

Just my piece of experience, don't take it as holy truth!;)

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using SalonGeek

ive not had any problem with gelish on acrylics either, its only become a problem when doing rockstars, may I ask what this dual coat is, some kind of primer? :)

Oh sorry! Its a non-gel topcoat from harmony (i use all harmony products) designed to go over any kind of extension. Its not a Polish top coat, kinda reminds me of silicone !

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back