Rottweiler help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachelLynch

Reaction score
I've never had a big dog before, just a westie (what I still have) now I'm unsure wether he's right height and weight for his age. He's 5 months old, I've posted a pic of him x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357591401.028426.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357591401.028426.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 227
awww what a cutie!! Take him down to Pets At Home they will do a full consultation and check his weight etc - they actually saved me alot of money by giving her the right feed etc :)

Good luck I had one once lovely dog :)

I know nothing about dogs , but he is too cute x

Hi I have 3 dogs & with out being rude he looks very thin? Most rotties are a lot fuller in the body? I would take him to vets for a consultation x

awww what a cutie!! Take him down to Pets At Home they will do a full consultation and check his weight etc - they actually saved me alot of money by giving her the right feed etc :)

Good luck I had one once lovely dog :)

Do you have to book an appointment at pets at home? X

Was just going to say the same ... He looks underweight his coat isn't as shiny as it should be, he should be thriving at this age.
He needs to have a full check and get built up healthily.
Looks lovely but bit low, is he ok?
Good luck x

Hi I have 3 dogs & with out being rude he looks very thin? Most rotties are a lot fuller in the body? I would take him to vets for a consultation x

I think he's looks thin! He eats to much tho! Last time be went vets for his final jabs they said he was correct weight, I'm so unsure x

I use easipet care in pets at home often they are a walk in service and better cost that other vets. This is the only place that treat mine like their own.. Lots of reassurance to mine while In consultation give them a go

Was just going to say the same ... He looks underweight his coat isn't as shiny as it should be, he should be thriving at this age.
He needs to have a full check and get built up healthily.
Looks lovely but bit low, is he ok?
Good luck x

It's very shiny in person just my camera doesn't make him look shiny, he's fine in himself he runs round happy as larry! Oh I don't know now worrying myself :( c

I think he looks in proportion & could just be small for his breed. Do you know how much roughly he weighs? You could always get a second opinion from another vets, registering him & weighing him, I'm sure, is free - or use petsathome as suggested. What diet is he on?

I had a Dogue De Bordeaux & occasionally when he had a growth spurt, he would look on the thin side but would still eat a lot. Larger breeds do grow at a speed & sometimes they grow taller before filling out.

Im sure your probably worrying, but would be best to get second opinion if you are concerned. xx

It's very shiny in person just my camera doesn't make him look shiny, he's fine in himself he runs round happy as larry! Oh I don't know now worrying myself :( c

Sorry I think it's the camera angle that gives the impression of being bit slimmer. If you've taken him to the vets and they happy then no need to worry. He is a lovely chappy, trust your instincts and you can't go wrong x
Try googling pics of 5 mth rotties may help.. Xx

Your vet should tell you when he gets his boosters etc or just take him in there and look at the charts vets in my region are very accommodating as its like private healthcare no nhs for dogs so they are quite competetive my vets are lovely 5 star treatment they want your custom.If you are not insured then another story.

ive no idea, i remember when i bought him worming tablets he weighed to much to have the puppy ones! he does weigh a ton i can just about pick him up (not for very long tho)
ive just booked him in online at pets at home for a consultation hes going on Wednesday.
Hes on dry food puppy food for large dogs and he gets puppy meat once a week xx

Hi I've got a large breed and I would say he lookes a tad skinny to be honest.Is he full breed or x.?When he stands you should be able to feel his ribs but no see them sticking out lot just slightly see them.The rough guide is between 24-31kg obviously that's a rough guide.He should be eating 2 meals and roughly 3-5 cups a day of food.

When was the last time he went to the vets coz in theory he should be going every month to be wormed and flead and should be being checked over.Also he should be having lung worm treatment every month as that is on the increase and can kill dogs.

I would get him seen and see what they say coz if he's a x he may well be smaller.xx

I've had 2 Rottweilers a female and a male, the female was HUGE at 5 months so when we got the male it was strange that he seemed smaller! Very lanky and skinny but he was healthy and vets said he was fine. After googling about the breed anyway, there are two types an American Rottweiler and a German Rottweiler, I can't remember which is which but one has a larger bone structure than the other so one is naturally larger and meatier. The one thing you definitely don't want to happen is for him to get overweight and you over feeding him with worry that he's too thin at the moment, if you can see his ribs then he's too thin, if you feel him and can easily feel his ribs but not see them unless he is stretching of course then he's ok.

A lot of people think Rottweilers should be really chunky an meaty but often that's when they are overweight. He needs a "triangle" shaped body from above, widest at shoulders narrow at waist, should be muscular but not fat :) that's what the vets told me!

Sorry for long post :)

He's absolutely adorable though, sadly our male passed away last year :'( and then had to rehome the female :'( , I adored my rotties and miss them dearly, I think they are such a wonderful understated breed!

Hope this helps (and makes sense)

xxx

Here's some pics for you to compare your little man too, after looking at your pic again it's hard to tell how big he is as he's not stood next to anything, the first picture with the Rottweiler in the woods side on is my male at 5 months, the next with the three dogs is so you can see how quick he grew - the red collar is my female and the other is the male at 7-9 months. The last one with rottweiler facing forward and bullmastiff is my friends at 5 months sorry of info overload but I know how worrying it can be!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357597589.226585.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357597589.226585.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 125
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357597598.013574.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357597598.013574.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 110
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357597609.249909.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357597609.249909.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 102
I've never had a big dog before, just a westie (what I still have) now I'm unsure wether he's right height and weight for his age. He's 5 months old, I've posted a pic of him x

He is just a lanky teenager ;) beautiful. Wish someone would commission me to do a rottie drawing ;( maybe will do one for pleasure ;)

Here's some pics for you to compare your little man too, after looking at your pic again it's hard to tell how big he is as he's not stood next to anything, the first picture with the Rottweiler in the woods side on is my male at 5 months, the next with the three dogs is so you can see how quick he grew - the red collar is my female and the other is the male at 7-9 months. The last one with rottweiler facing forward and bullmastiff is my friends at 5 months sorry of info overload but I know how worrying it can be!

the first picture looks exactly the same weight as buddy looks to me now. hes smaller but same weight. you carnt see his ribs you can just feel them.
i feel better now ive seen a picture of someone else's. Hes full pedigree by the way x

My sister in law has Rottweilers She currently has a puppy and she is now about 16 wks old and a lot biggerthan your little chap.

Don't want to worry you but i'd get him checked out.

Really :/ hmm.... well hes going on wednesday morning so ill let you all know what they say x

Latest posts

Back