Rusty tools

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marketing-geek

Reaction score
Has anybody had problems with their instruments & tools rusting when they've been disinfected?

If so, do you think it's due to the disinfection solution or the quality of the tools?

the solution!

my tools were expensive and still rust!

i also am guilty of not drying properly after disinfecting!

I did when I used another solution but since I switched to Mundo I've had no problems Nigel so I assume it was the solution rather than the equipment x

IMHO I think it could be either/mixture of both - if you buy expensive tools and they rust - I belive it must be the solution - my expensive scissors haven't rusted but one of the cuticle pushers have:eek:

Any of the cheapo tools I bought - pre training soon rusted so imho it would be down to both tools and solution :eek:

use WW-D 40 on the tools it will remove the rust and they will be good as new.

Yup.. have had drill bits rust that I forgot about and left in the solution too long.
Same for a pusher...

no clue as to the 'why' it happens though.:irked:

the only time i found rust on any of my tools was when a bit of monomer in a pipette had got on to a pair of scissors that i had put in a pot where i keep all my tools together.Apart from that never

Snugglepuss said:
IMHO I think it could be either/mixture of both - if you buy expensive tools and they rust - I belive it must be the solution - my expensive scissors haven't rusted but one of the cuticle pushers have:eek:

Any of the cheapo tools I bought - pre training soon rusted so imho it would be down to both tools and solution :eek:

I totally agree with this statement ......I have had cheapo stuff and it has rusted ....with my expensive stuff ( OPI, & Meehaz) I get no rusting and if I did I'd be really mad!:irked: so it probably comes down to both tool and solution

marketing-geek said:
Has anybody had problems with their instruments & tools rusting when they've been disinfected?

If so, do you think it's due to the disinfection solution or the quality of the tools?

are you having rust problems then nigel ? what brand are your tools ?

I thought, possibly wrongly, that anything that was Stainless Steel would not rust, I thought that was one of its main properties. However some of my expensive tools have rusted where the fitting and screws are (if you know what I mean). So even though they are sold as stainless steel some of the fittings used to make the tools are cheaper/different metals.

I find pushers made of stainless steel are fine in a barbicide tray. Stainless steel Cuticle nippers and nail clippers are fine in a barbicide glass as long as they are only immersed as far as the fittings on the handles (which in both cases is enough to sanitise the part you use).

I am sure even if you used a steam sterilizer with no solutions (like you do for babies bottles), non stainless steel metal tools would still rust if they were not dried properly.

it was made to help lossen up rusty bolts and things like that but is also removes rust off of other steal things as well. I what have done is use the WD-40 removed all the rust as well i have sprayed all moveing joints this helps them move better as well then wiped them clean and resanitised them about 2 a month and this prevents the rusts. just a thought and it is cheep

angel fingers said:
are you having rust problems then nigel ? what brand are your tools ?

No rust problems here.

I'm interested to find out opinions regarding solutions & tools as i have heard from may people that a major product beginning with 'B' has caused rusting on their tools.

I only use tools here to test our products - and happily none have rusted!

i know what wd40 is i was just wondering (as it wasn't spelt wd40) if that was what vett actually meant and i had never heard of putting it on tolls before!

marketing-geek said:
No rust problems here.

I'm interested to find out opinions regarding solutions & tools as i have heard from may people that a major product beginning with 'B' has caused rusting on their tools.

I only use tools here to test our products - and happily none have rusted!

I use this 'B' solution and have never had a rusting problem ....as said only with my "drug store " impliments from way back in the day ..but never my professional tools I use now...

melissaq said:
I use this 'B' solution and have never had a rusting problem ....as said only with my "drug store " impliments from way back in the day ..but never my professional tools I use now...

I feel that some of the problems may arise when the instruments are rinsed after they've been in the disinfectant solution.

This is where the advantages of a solution that requires no rinsing comes in.

Most products will have a rust inhibitor. This is a rust preventer, just something that helps to prevent it.

• The cheaper your tools, the less effective the inhibitor
  • The cheaper the inhibitor, the less effective it is
  • The longer you leave the tools submerged, the less effective the inhibitor
  • The more concentrated you use the product, the less effective the inhibitor
  • The less frequently you change the solution, the less effective the inhibitor

So in the end, if the disinfectant has a decent inhibitor, you are using decent tools, you are changing the disinfectant as intended and diluting as appropriate - you shouldn't have problems.

No disinfectant is designed to leave your tools in 24/7.

HTHs ;)

The Nail Geek said:
Most products will have a rust inhibitor. This is a rust preventer, just something that helps to prevent it.

• The cheaper your tools, the less effective the inhibitor
  • The cheaper the inhibitor, the less effective it is
  • The longer you leave the tools submerged, the less effective the inhibitor
  • The more concentrated you use the product, the less effective the inhibitor
  • The less frequently you change the solution, the less effective the inhibitor

So in the end, if the disinfectant has a decent inhibitor, you are using decent tools, you are changing the disinfectant as intended and diluting as appropriate - you shouldn't have problems.

No disinfectant is designed to leave your tools in 24/7.

HTHs ;)

Who'd want to leave their tools 24/7. You can't make money whilst your tools are in solution! The quicker the better!!

Latest posts

Back