Safe Salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachel019102

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has read the article in this months trade mag about safesalons.co.uk (where Sam biddle and Victoria Smith are being interviewed).
I've just logged onto the site and added my details to join the salon where I work and wondered if anyone else was planning to do the same, personally I think its a great idea!:)

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has read the article in this months trade mag about safesalons.co.uk (where Sam biddle and Victoria Smith are being interviewed).
I've just logged onto the site and added my details to join the salon where I work and wondered if anyone else was planning to do the same, personally I think its a great idea!:)

How do they tell who is safe and who is not? Do they have the resources to check every salon out to determine they are working as they should be? Do you have to pay to get on the safe salon list? If so then to my way of thinking it is meaningless. Convince me to change my mind.

I have just signed to up for someone to get in touch with me so will hopefully have some more information on it in regard to cost etc soon.

But it says on the website that a representative visits the salon to assess it and also that certificates are checked to determine if the salon is classed as a safe salon. If that does happen then surely thats a step in the right direction for getting all salons to work to excellent standards.

If it does work as I said earlier; I think its a good idea. I suppose its success will depend on how its run and how many professionals will join.

Hi

surely this kind of thing will only have clout if it were backed by local authorites ?

Defiently I think it goes hand in hand

The fact you sign up and get someone to check out your premises etc, can only be a step in the right direction to policing this kind of thing.

I think it is a positive step to getting where we want to go and to hopefully get rid of the NSS style places.

I think we should be reporting the damage done by NSS salons to our MPs.....then we'll have a bit more of a chance of getting rid of MMA and NSS and introducing local authority backing.

Did you know that Dr Phyllis Starkey, MP for Milton Keynes is trying to bring this in for our Industry through a bill in Parliament....the only reason nothing has been done before now is because there has been zero complaints to MPs about it.

Get lobbying!

I know a local councilor, so i will start the ball rolling in my area!!

I am determined to get rid of the cowboys and one day training techs, who call themselves qualified.

(don't get me started on that)

Personally I'd prefer something with clout. To send a representative to every salon in the country who might like to get on the 'safe' list will cost enormous sums of money. Where is it going to come from? What are the critreria of what is 'safe'. Who is going to gain financially from it?

The problem I can foresee here is that salons could be checked out and added to the safe list and then employees could change to techs who have different methods of practise.

The people who will gain financially will surely be the folk doing the inspections, I guess they will charge a fee. Otherwise I am sure they wouldn't have started this whole thing up.

I know I'm very cynical. I've reached that certain age :lol:

In my opinion, the people going to NSS already know there are safer salons where they can go. Being on a list will not influence them to change nor will it get rid of the NSS which is surely the objective we all want to reach?

Legislation is the way forward in my opinion, not a list where the standards could change from month to month. It just seems ineffective to me. No one has convinced me yet .... come on .... where are the ones who are doing this? Why are they not fighting their corner in this discussion? I'm already disillusioned!

Last edited:
Personally I'd prefer something with clout. To send a representative to every salon in the country who might like to get on the 'safe' list will cost enormous sums of money. Where is it going to come from? What are the critreria of what is 'safe'. Who is going to gain financially from it?

I completely agree, i dont think anyone should be worrying about not being classed as safe, at the moment we should be concentrating on getting MMA banned and educating the public about it, for all the nail techs that have a good loyal client base, your clients are not going to be aware of a site that deems you safe? And at the moment the public are not well informed and the majority of them have not even heard of MMA so why would that even come to their mind to check that your salon is not using it, our biggest problem is getting women and young girls to stop using Non standard salons. It is only us techs and the clients we have told that are aware of the MMA problem and believe me if your clients are happy with you they will remain with you regardless, they trust us and trust we are giving them the best possible treatment and one that wont harm them x
so come on geeks make sure you have signed the petition on my site as its going to parliament with my MP x

I think we should be reporting the damage done by NSS salons to our MPs.....then we'll have a bit more of a chance of getting rid of MMA and NSS and introducing local authority backing.

Did you know that Dr Phyllis Starkey, MP for Milton Keynes is trying to bring this in for our Industry through a bill in Parliament....the only reason nothing has been done before now is because there has been zero complaints to MPs about it.

Get lobbying!

well said cathie, geeks if you need more info on the bill it is posted on my website, have a read x

well said cathie, geeks if you need more info on the bill it is posted on my website, have a read x

i just wanted to say that i think what you are doing is fantastic.
xx
by the way i have already signed it...and encouraging all my clients to as well.:)

i just wanted to say that i think what you are doing is fantastic.
xx
by the way i have already signed it...and encouraging all my clients to as well.:)

thanku sian, that is great keep spreading the word, we need more signatures x

Latest posts

Back