Salon Decor Suggestions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeycure

Reaction score
I've been dealing with a lot of problems at my current salon, and one of the big problems is the decor of the place.

You can see the 180 degree tour here:
http://www.salongeek.com/members/honeycure-albums-salon+needs+improvement!.html

It doesn't invite clients at all!! It looks like a bank (because one of the two owners of the salon is a banker). She refuses to put anything on the windows or walls, and it makes the clients getting pedicures uncomfortable because everyone can see their bare legs :/

I wanna improve this place, but I really don't know where to start.

I'm thinking that decorations would be a start, but what could I do? I think that some folding walls about 4 feet tall would be decent to give each client some privacy.

Any suggestions would be great! I'm open to anything. I just want this place to be more inviting!

Are there any closed tratment rooms or just partitions? It looks like partitions betwen the couches??
Will the owner agree to draping fabric around the salon?
Why won't they hang anything on the walls?

Yes, there's a facial room to the further left of that little girl playing with the chair. And then the back is the break room.

There are two owners. One is pretty open minded, but the other has this weird idea that bare walls = chic. There is nothing "chic" about the place at all, but she likes to think so (she has horrible taste, I'll show you one of her outfits someday!). Since they are fighting more and more everyday, I think the other owner is more open to ideas at this point, so I think I'll suggest the draping fabrics idea!

Also, the partitions do NOTHING! I have no idea why they built those in, because they don't serve as walls for the clients or anything. It just makes it 10x's harder to refurnish the place! They don't even match up to the partitions on the other side of the room :(

Are you salon manager? if so they should respect your input more.
Have either owner got a background in beauty? you mentioned 1 is a banker.
Not a good sign if they are openly disagreeing with each other.
If they a pure business people then the bottom line is what counts(especially the banker)
Maybe survey clients regarding changes they would like to see and present this to the owners?

I see what you mean, so here goes with regard to the windows, decals, perspex poster signs that hang on wires, pretty beaded curtains, some kind of actual display will make it all look more inviting.

Although you said the pics have to stay I would really push to loose them and replace with pics that are relevant to the salon.

A bit of colour would go a long way as well, it doesnt have to be everywhere.
Im unsure what you could do with the partitions as it is hard to judge whether a solid extension would just make working in the area harder. But having said that if the windows were not so blank then perhaps this would help with client comfort.

I know you dont like the shelving but it does serve its purpose, perhaps you could clear the odd shelf and have an advertising/POS display, it may make it feel less crowded.

Things dont have to cost a fortune all it takes is a bit of creativity. My last window display for a real spring theme was done using items predominantly from our local poundland. Its amazing what can be achieved when you pull apart things like windmills, beach mats etc. and it doesn't have to be tacky either.

sorry for the long reply but I hope it gives you a bit of inspiration.

Now I know I'm not one to talk, having never owned or worked in a salon, but I'm taking this from a clients point of view.

Having looked at the pictures the salon just doesn't seem inviting with the huge open glass windows enabling everyone to see, and the theme of the black and white/cream just makes it feel really cold.

Colour would be good, it's a shame you can't get rid of the pictures as nothing screams 'beauty salon' to me. The shelving unit serves a purpose, but it is so full of items it kind of detracts away from the products because there are just so many you don't really know where to look! Decorative items would like great in a few of the cubby holes, small displays from the brand of the products etc.

I think as Helen said, pretty beaded curtains would go a long way to still allowing some light in to the salon, make it seem more inviting from the outisde, match it with the coloured decor you chose, plus it allows a bit of privacy for the clients having treatments.

I don't get the partitions around the couches, why try creating a little privacy around each client within the salon when anyone from the street can see right in! Not really sure what you can do with them. :confused:

Sorry if I have put my foot in it with any of the suggestions.

Ok the salon looks awful, those pictures & massive shelving unit are horrible!
You said you want to improve the place - so have the managers given you permission for you to do this?
Have they given you a buget or will you be spending your own money on it?
Is it a busy salon? How many staff are there working there?

what an awful waste! it looks like a good size and a great location. it sure does look odd though. it looks like the whole place is confused, like it can't work out if it is an art gallery, a waiting room, an old persons home or an office. i think it's lost it's decade a bit too.

maybe you could show the owners the posts on here that the professional, established salon owners have said?

the windows should be a real selling point for the place because they are lovely big windows! there are other options than beaded curtians, there's things like tulle type material whichyou could really make agreat background out of, aswell as things like frosted glass - it doesn't have to be that tacky 80s design with flowers either haha.

i think that shelf is just way ott. it seems to have everything on it - from bottles of what i'd guess are facial products to nail polish and one even has a heart shaped box in which i tink just looks cheap and child like. maybe you could use wall shelves for nail products and get a lovely glass set of shelves for all the facial type products? that way clients will be able to look at the different products rather than just seeing a wall of everything thrown together - you can't show off products that are displayed like that.

x

Glass shelves was a thought I had. Much more sleek and professional looking, keeping nail/skin treatments seperate. Too much on a shelf is too much to look at.

Frosted glass is a great idea. Keeps the light coming in but maintains the privacy of your clients. Good ideas MissC!

Are you salon manager? if so they should respect your input more.
Have either owner got a background in beauty? you mentioned 1 is a banker.
Not a good sign if they are openly disagreeing with each other.
If they a pure business people then the bottom line is what counts(especially the banker)
Maybe survey clients regarding changes they would like to see and present this to the owners?
Yes I am. They should do a LOT of things. It really would be nice if they listened to me instead of just argueing the whole time :/ It's amazing how unprofessional these people are, because they have no control. They'll fight right in front of a client, and usually the banker will storm out of the place and slam the door.

Unfortunately, no they don't have any business experience. If I knew they were this clueless, I would have never agreed to work here. The other one owns a very successful hair salon on the lower floor, so I assumed she knew what she was doing. I quickly learned that the salon is successful because of the individual hair stylists that do a great job, and the owner is just an investor.

I think surveys would be a great idea! I know a lot of my clients already tell me what's wrong with the place, so I think I'll have them fill out a little questionaire on what they want to see.

I see what you mean, so here goes with regard to the windows, decals, perspex poster signs that hang on wires, pretty beaded curtains, some kind of actual display will make it all look more inviting.

Although you said the pics have to stay I would really push to loose them and replace with pics that are relevant to the salon.

A bit of colour would go a long way as well, it doesnt have to be everywhere.
Im unsure what you could do with the partitions as it is hard to judge whether a solid extension would just make working in the area harder. But having said that if the windows were not so blank then perhaps this would help with client comfort.

I know you dont like the shelving but it does serve its purpose, perhaps you could clear the odd shelf and have an advertising/POS display, it may make it feel less crowded.

Things dont have to cost a fortune all it takes is a bit of creativity. My last window display for a real spring theme was done using items predominantly from our local poundland. Its amazing what can be achieved when you pull apart things like windmills, beach mats etc. and it doesn't have to be tacky either.

sorry for the long reply but I hope it gives you a bit of inspiration.
Thanks for your input!
I think I'll definitely clear the shelves. We don't use half of the things displayed there... I don't think the owners will notice if I put them away.

Also, are poundlands the same as thrift stores?

Now I know I'm not one to talk, having never owned or worked in a salon, but I'm taking this from a clients point of view.

Having looked at the pictures the salon just doesn't seem inviting with the huge open glass windows enabling everyone to see, and the theme of the black and white/cream just makes it feel really cold.

Colour would be good, it's a shame you can't get rid of the pictures as nothing screams 'beauty salon' to me. The shelving unit serves a purpose, but it is so full of items it kind of detracts away from the products because there are just so many you don't really know where to look! Decorative items would like great in a few of the cubby holes, small displays from the brand of the products etc.

I think as Helen said, pretty beaded curtains would go a long way to still allowing some light in to the salon, make it seem more inviting from the outisde, match it with the coloured decor you chose, plus it allows a bit of privacy for the clients having treatments.

I don't get the partitions around the couches, why try creating a little privacy around each client within the salon when anyone from the street can see right in! Not really sure what you can do with them. :confused:

Sorry if I have put my foot in it with any of the suggestions.
You don't need to be a salon owner to see that this place is yucky :p

I think I'm gonna try to push to get rid of those pictures... because they're REALLY ugly. You can't see what they exactly are in the pictures, but they're just awful.

I don't know what those partitions were for... They're only like a meter length.. they do NOTHING. It just makes it harder to clean the seats

you can get really nice frosted glass effect window stickers to fit the front! you can get them with the salon name, logo and telephone number on which would look fab! and a bit more private too for those having pedicures inside too xx

nice wallpaper on the bi behind reception, put a nice towel over the manicure table in coordinating colour, same with pedi chair at the bit where the feet sit, nice decorative pots/ bowls/ candles in some of the retail shelfs to tie it all in. i got silk flowers and set them here and there.

you can get really nice frosted glass effect window stickers to fit the front! you can get them with the salon name, logo and telephone number on which would look fab! and a bit more private too for those having pedicures inside too xx

that was what i was thinking, even if it's just half the window, it's still enough to give the clients some privacy! :D x

i can't believe how many people there are that are lucky enough to have acess to the amount of money needed to open up their own hair and/or beauty premises and just act clueless/don't appreciate it! arguining infront of clients is def not ok. if you want to invest to make money then there's not a problem with that, so long as the people who do know what they are doing are in charge of the day to day running. so many people come on here and say 'i've just opened a salon, what spray tan should i use?' surely if you have the ability to open your own premises you will at least know how to use google to research? there are so many other therapists and hair dressers who would love the chance to own their own premises who would really give it their all and do a great job of running their business but will never be in a position to do it :(

*steps off soap box before it caves in*
x

Latest posts

Back