Salon saying they are using "Shellac" when they are not

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen86

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Today i had my first Shellac Mani Pedi of the season! Great! My brand new client said her nails were naked but had Shellac on her toenails (which she got done in a London based nail salon) and understood that i charge to remove if not applied by me etc.

Anyway, mani went perfect got around to the toenails and i didn't think the color she had on didn't look like a Shellac color, it literally took an HOUR to get off! and when it came off it looked liked chunks of rubber!

Ive removed enough Shellac to know this wasn't Shellac, she also said that (due to having a busy London job) she goes to a "Chinese" nail salon (i dont want to tar with same brush but this is what she said) and booked me as i go to her home (more convenient) and they drill this stuff off and it hurts! :(

She also said they advertised this as Shellac, which i explained is a brand etc.

I have heard of things like this before. Why does it always seem to be these types of salons who do this (Im not at all racist, i just dont know how else to put this sorry) surely its illegal!

My client was mortified and paid me extra for my time bless her, she also said she wont be returning to that salon and has colleagues who go there and will be telling them too. (I did say without seeing the bottle i cannot be 100% sure) but im 100% certain it wasn't Shellac......maybe it was concrete!

Sorry...i needed to rant! But i gained a new loyal client.....yey :)

Jenny xx

I've had this happen a couple of times - now I no longer take of anyone else's work as it takes me more time than it is worth! The nail bar in my local shopping centre advertises Shellac and it certainly isn't that. Really annoying when it damages their nails and they then are put off genuine CND Shellac. But yay for a new client xx

I had this happen to me not too long ago took me ages to get whatever it was off my client her nails were wrecked underneath, needless to say I explained to this particular client and gave her aftercare and she is now a regular, it infuriates me as some salons are saying they are using shellac and clearly they are not!! I actually walked into a salon and looked at their polishes asked did they do shellac which I clearly knew they didn't the woman said yes they did and showed me some bottles and they were not shellac at all! [emoji35] rant over
But well done on new client x

This just happened to me-
The lady asked for removal of current shellac on fingernails and toenails
And a classic mani and pedi-
I wrapped all her nails up- took a while as she kept answering the phone and walking around.
Basically waited 15 minutes and the polish was still rock solid.
Wrapped them up again and waited another ten minutes - virtually nothing, a bit around the edges had come soft-
I was frustrated by this point as I thought she hadn’t been honest as to what product she had on.
Then she tells me the place she goes to usually drills them off- I.e not shellac,
I had already spent an hour there and did not have the time to start over.
She did pay me for the appointment as it was not my fault-
Likely I have lost a client but it’s crazy to have to spend all of that time removing soaking with acetone when it needed filing!
Upset

This really annoys me...it destroys the integrity of our industry and makes good techs look bad! Its like saying a pizza is a pizza...these so called nail techs wouldn't ring up and pay for pay for dominos and be very impressed if a supermarket home brand pizza turned up at their door so what makes them think that its ok to do this to poor unsuspecting clients with nail products! Some clients don't actually know what shellac is especially if they are new to getting their nails done and went there for their first time...they wouldn't know any different...they just know that shellac is really good becasue of what they've heard. Its damaging for the brand and our industry when people do this. grrrrr its false advertising if they are advertising it as shellac and it isn't (or anything else for that matter) and it is mis-selling too -illegal! Anyway, i am glad you managed to get a new and loyal client her sorted and she understood and it was really sweet of her to pay extra too. Regarding taring everyone with the same brush etc I have seen too many of these types of people and salons to be bothered if i hear "stereotyping"...my old town was rife with them and to be honest the stereo type fits most of them!...just like a majority of the care homes in the local area were all owned by one person and so 90% of the staff there were of a certain nationality...those of you who weren't of that nationality were treated vastly different so yes...i am not overly bothered about things like that...many stereotypes come about for a reason though it is important to have an open mind so as not to tar everyone. Things are not often founded on complete untruths and i think many of us let a lot slide simply because we are afraid of causing offence these days so don't worry, we don't think you are being racist...you are merely making an observation. If they were green with purple sports you'd still be saying the same since it is their practices not their nationality or skin colour which made you upset:)

Latest posts

Back