Scare TV

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

“A fifth of nail bars could be unsafe,” says CIEH

So that means 4/5ths ARE safe, and only suggests that 1/5th may not be.

If you have certificates relating to sanitation standards - make sure they are displayed in a very obvious place. And make sure your certificates relating to your training are displayed too. This will help the public to identify quality salons from poor ones

“A fifth of nail bars could be unsafe,” says CIEH

So that means 4/5ths ARE safe, and only suggests that 1/5th may not be.

If you have certificates relating to sanitation standards - make sure they are displayed in a very obvious place. And make sure your certificates relating to your training are displayed too. This will help the public to identify quality salons from poor ones

This was the tack I took on the 1xtra website yesterday (I think) - I said that it is about time the public were aware of this - 20% of salons are unsafe - but hey that leaves 80% that are safe so seek them out.

All of my certificates are proudly displayed on my wall for all my clients to see and lots of them comment on how many I have LOL.

Some great points on this thread!

"The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health are on our side after all!!!!"

Dead right Sam C!

Also some very important and relevant comments from GMG.

There are some worried and and not necessarily accurate comments too. These come from passion for the industry and genuine care. It might help if I, briefly, clarify a few things.

There is no secrecy about anything. The project I was referring to is not mine to announce and is only just about to start. Dribbling out bits of information does no good to any important statement/launch etc. The sensible way is to provide all the relevant informatiion concisely and in context for maximum effect.

The only reason I mentioned is because there have been so many, "Why don't..", "Why can't...", etc and so many people worried that I just wanted to let you all know that there really is plenty of work being done. It just takes so (in the words of GNG) "freaking" long!!!!!

The whole EH issue really is not new! This has been rumbling around for quite some time. Local Authorities have been more than aware of problems with nail salons for years. However, they can do nothing about it without real facts and information that has been compiled under conditions that they can use, legally. This cannot come from research from the US, for example, nor from product companies. EH depts have very wide powers (like the Health and Safety Executive) that directly affect us and they have needed to do their own research in order to address the issue effectively (and, yes, the, so called, NSS salons have played a part in encouraging this move, although there are plenty of salons that do not fall into this very innaccurate description that have pushed it along too!)

This has come out at this moment because of the conference and so many journos seeing a nice little story, specially when they can relate it to V Beckham and Colleen!

Don't panic! The industry has had many media stories such as this but has never had so much 'official' background work going on before; we just had to 'weather' it. Keep doing good work, don't take short cuts in education or your level of service, behave and think like a 'professional' rather than a 'hobbyist' and you will be fine. Women who want their nails done will always want their nails done and your best advertising will always be word of mouth supported by great nails!

People like GMG and me are called upon to help with all this 'stuff' because we are genuinely unbiased (brands etc) and are genuinely considered to be 'experts'. It is also obvious to 'those that matter' that we are doing it for all the right reasons as we get no payment and do not advance our career. We do not list what we do for pats on the back. We do it to help our industry and be informed enough to be considered 'experts' in a narrow field but one that has such wide implications.

Long post for which I apologise (don't usually do that!) but I just want to put things into perspective and happen to have the time to do it.

May be a long post Marian - but it was also a Kick-Ass one!!! :hug:

May be a long post Marian - but it was also a Kick-Ass one!!! :hug:

Yes a good post. NSS are not always what they appear to be.
If we keep our standards high we don't have to worry about this do we?
I understand that a lot goes on behind the scenes and we will be informed as and when things happen.

Didn't see the interview but, I just wanted to say that I have faith in you guys as do many of us. Yes we are an impatient lot but thats because we want to help in any way we can and until we know whats happening we're all left twiddeling our nail brushes:lol:
So don't be down hearted. Peeps who are confused or horrified will talk to peeps who have their nails done and because we have educated them, they will educate the confused. I have lost count of the times a new customer has said to me, its so nice to have a nail tech who can chat to me. And chat away I do, I never slag of a perticular place, just point out the differences in service and give our reasons for that difference. Every one loves to be an expert and when my clients leave me they are my experts and can explain to everyone the right way to do nails, and I am sure all your clients are the same.

You know this GMTV twaddle has made my day today..... why you ask.... well.. A few of my clients saw this this morning and couldn't wait to tell me that it is official.. I rock their Nail World (their words not mine).... lol..... they even realized that the take on MMA was not correct because I had already told them about it and it has just reassured them that I am safe and well educated Technician..... Now thats a positive outcome from a very negative start of the day. So thanks GMTV, you have just boosted my ratings lol.....
So keep your clients informed ( but don't scare the pants of them), well cared for and they will be happy and healthy bunnies.

You know this GMTV twaddle has made my day today..... why you ask.... well.. A few of my clients saw this this morning and couldn't wait to tell me that it is official.. I rock their Nail World (their words not mine).... lol..... they even realized that the take on MMA was not correct because I had already told them about it and it has just reassured them that I am safe and well educated Technician..... Now thats a positive outcome from a very negative start of the day. So thanks GMTV, you have just boosted my ratings lol.....
So keep your clients informed ( but don't scare the pants of them), well cared for and they will be happy and healthy bunnies.

This is a battle that will probably rage for some time, in fact we are still raging over things like this in the States. The only was to counter all the negative is precisely what Ruth said, INFORM them. Educate your clients.

Every so often a story like this will pop up on our local news and usually we have customers calling the news to complain because THEY know that the information was incorrect.

Another "idea" (which I will admit I have successfully employed) is to send the reporter a gift card for a nail service, then I have them and their full attention, where they can see how things are supposed to be done. For the School this resulted in a follow up story that painted us in a very positive light as well as guest appearances for the health and beauty section they do once per month. Now if they can't find one of our graduates they will call the school and have one of us on for a segment. (I really don't like getting up that early- you have to be there by 4:00 am then they use the segment all day)

Keep clients informed, your knowledge up to date, yes even the chemistry stuff, and remain positive, publicity is still publicity and if you have facts on your side with a positive friendly outlook, you'll succeed in the end....and your clients will be LOYAL!

That is exactly what i meant in my previous post,we can turn this around and our clients know this this does not apply to the majority of us ! It could make them value us more x

Can I just say in my defence (I am a home trained mobile nail tech) I don't let the industry down in any way......

I am very careful with hygene. I use new files, buffers etc with every new client and keep them in a bag for next time. I then sterilise them before I use them again (in front of client). Any other equipment I sterilise as I use them. Hands are washed and then sanitized before I start. I am insured and keep my certificates with me if anyone wishes to see them.

I am new to this industry and know I have alot to learn. I am grateful for any advice as to how I can improve if I need to (regarding the above).

Can I just say in my defence (I am a home trained mobile nail tech) I don't let the industry down in any way......

I am sorry hun,i don't understand why you feel the need to defend yourself !?!

What we need is a united front,i don't think that this is about individual tech's chick,but our industry and the future of it as a whole,hth wendy x

Just to confirm I will be doing my bit here in my corner of the nail market to educate clients locally as GMG asked us to. I always do anyway with regard to NSS and MMA and hygiene etc. But will print off necessary articles to help clarify the truth, which I will laminate and give to a client to read while sat with me.

hairdressing gets bad press.. colouring is bad for you and extensions damage in the long run, etc. but we have not seen a decline in salons. There are those who must have what the Stars have regardless of the bad press and i'm sure this will be similar. Good nails will always be in demand.
IMO the bad press is somewhat helpful as it will lead to MMA being banned.

I might only be small fry in a big pond with bigger fish but if we all shout we will be heard!

I saw it whilst on my hols..I wasn't shocked, as soon as I heard they would be doing a piece I just new it wouldn't be a accurate report, they seldom are....the bit about drilling into the nail bed and MMA just confirmed that. I don't know who the lady on the GMTV couch was and not to offend as she may have just been tv shy but I didn't think she helped...she just seemed to giggle and didn't know what to say other than how having nails makes your outfit complete !!!!...personally I think all she did was give points to all those who think being a nail tech is not a proper job that involves using your brain.

I wish there had been someone with a bit more clout on there, to correct the wrong information that the nail tech said...and fight our corner.

I have been in a shop/bar/restaurant many a time and heard ladies having conversations about nails....i have listened to there chit chat about how they ruin nails and horror stories and I always go over and educate them, some are grateful and some don't want to know....but never the less I still and always will do it.

Geek is right education should begin at home and that involves our local community this is the only way to start combating a problem such as this, as for the "good techs, bad techs, safe salons, unsafe salons" Winston Churchill said "statistics are a good way of manipulating the truth" the media use this tactic to pull a story and this has been an age old trick. It is down to us to put the record straight by working hard to promote awareness of good work practice. Every industry suffers from time to time with the media that's just how it goes, hospitals have been the subject of discussion in the media forever with so much bad press with MRSA etc etc etc, this is just another media moment. Work hard to educate your customers it's the best step to progression.

Regards to all.

I can't believe I have missed all this:eek:

My take on it....

I believe that the peeps in the know will fight our corner!

That the peeps who can put the argument forward will do - that the MAJORITY OF nail techs will do their best, and that they can do everything possible that they can.

That all nail techs will abide to the same hymn sheet - (ie Gmg and his lovely wife - Mum, Sassy, Naturalnails,Glo, Sandi, Geeg and all the other fab geeks - you know who you are :hug: )

In my opinion also, the peeps who are really passionate about their work will succeed and that clients who care about themselves (and the techs who provide the BEST possible service) will return time and time again!

As for the press and media .... bah humbug - their opinion is here today gone tomorrow - who's next to suffer their poisonous words? NOBODY is safe - just look at the news channel ..........

I didnt see the GM TV but heard the reports on the radio and my immediate feeling was great its time that people knew about the unreputable nail bars that exsist... it is up to us to educate our clients and your reputation will be built upon word of mouth ... Your clients will know and talk about you and if your doing it right then we have nothing to worry about. The old saying that any publicity is good publicity is REALLY TRUE so as long as you are equipped with good salon practise and a good system and enough knowledge to inform your clients then you will all be ok.
Dont freek out because for a while on the day that nails were on the TV our industry was high profile..... ( my cup is half full and all that)
just be armed with the right information to give your clients and they will stick by you and will be proud that they visit a good salon that has covered and re-informed them with the correct info to put them straight.
I dont underestimate my clients they are not stupid.
Tania X

Yes it is publicity, but not good publicity! Clients are who have not yet sat in front of a nail technician and had a nail treatment will not be aware of the other professional techs out there. So to them the review on gmtv would have been a deterant rather than ' well ive been to a salon and she/he does everything right so im in safe hands'.

My clients that saw the gmtv programme said they didnt bat an eyelid cause they know I have high standards which i carry throughout my business. it is not these clients I am concerned about, it is the prospective clients I need to build my business.

Anyway I sent a letter to GMTV voicing my opinion and made sure they knew that the number of profssional nail techs in the industry outweigh the bad. Clients should be pointed in the direction of professionals, not put off completely.

:smack:

I think I am going to print this out and keep it with me to recite when anyone asks me!!!!!

Would it help if we bombard these web sites with the correct info.....while it is in the news???? I know it has happened with the radio 1 web site yesterday but GMTV said it was on their web site too.

As a qualified Nail Tech I find it, as I know many others do, so frustrating when this sort of rubbish is broadcast to the public. :irked:

Got to do the school run now and then a client but later today I will try and send an e-mail to do my bit......anyone else going to join me????!!!!!

xxx

i'll join in and help if someone points me in the right direction..................
i'll put the record straight and go on any national/local radio station to put my point across..............
i'm fed up of people talking S***e when they dont know what they are talking about.
some one needs to educate these people who are doing the scare mongering, and the finger needs to be pointed at culprits that use mma and import it cheap and offer cheap nails, also the finger should be pointed at the ones using un-clean drills etc.............
enough of pussy footing around the tulips:mad:

Yes it is publicity, but not good publicity! Clients are who have not yet sat in front of a nail technician and had a nail treatment will not be aware of the other professional techs out there. So to them the review on gmtv would have been a deterant rather than ' well ive been to a salon and she/he does everything right so im in safe hands'.

My clients that saw the gmtv programme said they didnt bat an eyelid cause they know I have high standards which i carry throughout my business. it is not these clients I am concerned about, it is the prospective clients I need to build my business.

Anyway I sent a letter to GMTV voicing my opinion and made sure they knew that the number of profssional nail techs in the industry outweigh the bad. Clients should be pointed in the direction of professionals, not put off completely.

:smack:

who did you address the letter to and where, and have you had a reply
do they have an email address?
i want my say

Latest posts

Back