Scared, need motivation!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueelaine

Reaction score
I know there are already posts on this but it's been driving me crazy for 2 days now!
I left my full time job to pursue my mobile career and I am terrified. At the moment I'm dragging out old notes and receipts from the suppliers so I can really look closer at my prices and costs. I only started out a little while ago so I've only had a few clients but am now really hoping to give this a go! How did you geeks all start out?! How did you all have the courage?! I'm so anxious already!!
Wish me luck! Hopefully it'll all pay off! :eek:

Aww good luck! I'm nervous too, Ive left my safe job in a safe salon to rent a room in town and go it alone! Am terrified and panicking - will it work? Will I get clients etc etc... Know how you're feeling :)
Xx

There is a very good thread on here that Lynne Baker started about marketing promoting your business it's in the biz geek and is alwaysn ear the top,have a look it's very inspirational and there are lots of great ideas.Its on page 9 at mo more ways to promote your business

Last edited:
Ah good luck to you too Julie! I'm sure it'll all be fine!
Thank you Gillian I've been looking at that thread for ages now, love some of the ideas!

Thankyou!!

Yes I've seen that thread, I'm gonna have a proper read of it and get some ideas down xx

Not much help but just to say that my last day is on Monday at my safe office job. I handed in my notice, like you, to pursue my mobile career full time! Good luck. "The Fear" and motivation will drive you forward xx

Hi there,

Well I haven't yet been able to take the plunge for a couple of different reasons but that hasn't stopped me planning for when the time finally comes!

There are lots of threads you can search for and read on Salon Geek as someone has already mentioned but one of the main things for me would be to really know your figures. I have set up a spreadsheet which I update each time I buy something for my 'business' and another with my sales (family /friends at the moment who cover my costs).

I also have a separate spreadsheet which lists all my services (only nails for me) and a breakdown of how much each costs me based on the cost per service information I got from Sweet Squared (I use CND). This will become my base price on top of which I'll add a cost for my time.

The HMRC do a series of webinars on becoming self-employed and your tax obligations, if you give them a call on their Business & Education help line they'll email you links to access them, the number is 0845 603 2691.

The lovely Gigi commented to me that to be successful you must be willing to invest money, time and be dedicated - don't go at things half hearted! Have faith in yourself and your product and always keep your standards high.

Good luck!

Lx

Sometimes, in any situation in life, what we fear is fear.
It can help to write down what would happen in the worst case scenario. Often it looks a lot less scary when you do this.

I also believe that you are much more likely to succeed than the person who goes in with £ signs in front of their eyes. You sound realistic and grounded.

Very best wishes for a fabulous career!

Well done you for taking the plunge!

I really want to go mobile, and leave my god awful job, but I cannot risk it just yet as rent must be paid, and my stupid stupid loan that i stupidly took out when I was a stupid wreckless teenager! ( Can you tell I think it was stupid!) Plus I have a little girl and she needs feeding and watering.

Just need to get myself established and ready to rock!

Just those 2 horrible words that I detest.... Saving up!

Well done you for taking the plunge!

I really want to go mobile, and leave my god awful job, but I cannot risk it just yet as rent must be paid, and my stupid stupid loan that i stupidly took out when I was a stupid wreckless teenager! ( Can you tell I think it was stupid!) Plus I have a little girl and she needs feeding and watering.

Just need to get myself established and ready to rock!

Just those 2 horrible words that I detest.... Saving up!

Aw it's so hard when you need the guaranteed wage to pay the bills and the essentials! I'm in a position where I've moved home and selling my car to cut down on costs. Not ideal but am lucky at the same time. A social life will be a thing of the past but am hoping if I put my everything into it it will pay off (hopefully) xxx

Latest posts

Back