Sciatica help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Have had sciatica for about a week now and had deep massage by my Osteo earlier today.I am in agony.

Anyone any tips for easing it please,I cant take anti-inflamatories,It's driving me mad.:eek:

I used to have trouble and it got trapped once so painful i was physically sick i had osteopathy which really helped but after was told to put cold on it i used to wrap a bag of frozen peas in a towel and put it across my sacral area.I do this occasionally now when it twinges and havent had any real probs for years.Its evidently a mistake to heat it or rub deep heat on because it is inflamed.

I used to have trouble and it got trapped once so painful i was physically sick i had osteopathy which really helped but after was told to put cold on it i used to wrap a bag of frozen peas in a towel and put it across my sacral area.
Thankyou Gillian,will try that.It's driving me nuts,worse than it was before.Last time I had it was when pregnant with my youngest,who's 14 now.:hug:

Babs have you tried reflexology???

It is excellent for the relief of sciatica.

In reflexology terms the sciatica reflex point is situated right in the centre of your heel. Right in the middle fleshy part of heel (the bottom of your foot), and up the back of the ankle slightly going up into the calf.
It might help you if you could locate this point because it really can help.

I had sciatica real bad years ago and my g.p prescribed muscle relaxants along with painkillers.

I prefer the holistic approach. Have you got any holistic friends?????

Babs have you tried reflexology???

It is excellent for the relief of sciatica.

In reflexology terms the sciatica reflex point is situated right in the centre of your heel. Right in the middle fleshy part of heel (the bottom of your foot), and up the back of the ankle slightly going up into the calf.
It might help you if you could locate this point because it really can help.

I had sciatica real bad years ago and my g.p prescribed muscle relaxants along with painkillers.

I prefer the holistic approach. Have you got any holistic friends?????
Yes my boss does reflexology,I dont think we have any gaps at all tomorrow though.In fact I know we havn't which is a pain.

I will try to locate it or have a look at a foot map.Will book in with a relexologist on monday if possible though.Thanks for the advice hun.xx:hug:

I had Sciatica for years but now I do some excercises that keep it well and truly out of my life.
They where recommended to me by my Osteopath...did yours give you any follow up excercises to do?.
At first it made it hurt more and I phoned him back I tears and he told me, yep you are freeing a trapped nerve, it's bruised and needs a little time to calm down, but within a week I was pain free. Posture had a lot do do with mine.......

The first excercise I do is this one..... lay flat on the floor , pull your knees up but keep your feet are flat on the floor, get them tucked up to your bum as close as possible, then while keeping your back on the floor, flop your knees to the right, hold it there for a few seconds, the repeat over to the other side.... this stretches your back....
then the next one is like walking up the wall, back on the floor and get put your feet flat on the wall, then push against the wall, like you are trying to walk up it.. this stretches your hamstrings, alot of people with sciatica have tight hamstrings.....But always get it checked out before you do anything, as I say this has helped me but you may want to speak to your Osteopath and confirm that this would be ok to do.....

hope it gets better soon, it is so painful and I feel for you babe xxx

Thanks Ruth I have got very tight hamstrings amongst a host of other tight muscles that she Osteo will gradually work on.

I will give your exercises a go tomorrow morning.Got to do something,driving me mad.Thanks again everyone.xx:hug:

hi babs hope you're feeling a bit better this morning, my dad used to suffer alot with sciatica until he went to visit a holistics centre locally the therapist uses a combination of massage and acupuncture and he absolutely swears by it, might be worth a try, my mum also had acupuncture to free a trapped nerve in her neck, hth xxx

Morning Babs, I know you say you cant take anti inflams, does this include diclofenac? I didn't trap mine I had a car crash and bruised it, I got so bad that I spent about 6 months on valium, so full sympathy for you hun, my physio gave me micro massage which I found to be a blessed relif. Also found a hot bath followed by an ice pack helped, if I think of anything else I'll post:hug:

Hi Babs :hug: You have my sympathy. I have only suffered once with sciatica and that was when I was pregnant with my son just over 2 years ago. I saw a physio who informed me that my pelvis was mis-aligned :eek: and with a few swift manouvers all was sorted and I haven't suffered since.

How are you able to work when it is bad? Sorry I don't have anything more constructive for you - just lots of :hug::hug:

Oh dear Babs, poor you.

I hope you will find reading this link on sciatica useful:

Medinfo: Sciatica

Try Arnica Babs,you can apply it liberally in cream or gel formula,available from health food stores.Its homeopathic,and like Lavender Blue said Reflexolgy is good for it aswell,as im with her on the holistic approach.

I cant take any anti inflammatories either, hell isnt it.

Try Devils claw, its a herbal anti inflammatory and available from health stores.

I had to take Diazepam along with pain killers until mine freed itself. It was my radial nerve in my left arm. It took about 3 months for the pain to ease enough to do normal day to day things and 6 months later I am still suffering muscl spasms and pain daily.

Hope you get sorted
Hugs
Rachel xxxx

HI, I suffered from sciatica for about 3 agonising months tried everything but the only thing that worked was going to see chiropractor i was pain free after about 6 sessions its well worth a go.

Latest posts

Back