Sculpting vs tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liane

Reaction score
Until the last couple of months, I had never heard of sculpting (hang my head in shame!) It was never mentioned in college, its not offered as a treatment in my area and I've not heard of anyone having it. Just a couple of questions:

What are the benefits of sculpting as opposed to tips?
Why would a nail tech offer sculpting over tips?
What is the price difference between the two?
Are sculpts stronger than tips?

I like the look of the finished sculpted nail (I've probably answered at least two of my questions now) but don't think I would find a market in my area for them. What is the USP of sculpts for other nail techs?

I'd be very grateful for any replies! :biggrin:

Until the last couple of months, I had never heard of sculpting (hang my head in shame!) It was never mentioned in college, its not offered as a treatment in my area and I've not heard of anyone having it. Just a couple of questions:

What are the benefits of sculpting as opposed to tips?
Sculpting gives you artistic freedom
Sculpting is quicker
Sculpting is cheaper

Why would a nail tech offer sculpting over tips?
For quickness and cheapness and if they want to keep their own nails.

What is the price difference between the two?
The normal service cost minus the cost of your tips

Are sculpts stronger than tips?
Not really

I like the look of the finished sculpted nail (I've probably answered at least two of my questions now) but don't think I would find a market in my area for them. What is the USP of sculpts for other nail techs?
A sculpted nail extension should look no different at all to a tipped nail extension.

I'd be very grateful for any replies! :biggrin:

I sculpt based purely on whether it is the easier option for me or if a client requests sculpted nails as her preference.

One service is neither better than the other in terms of look or longevity for clients.

Why would you presume that sculpted nails are not a service that clients in your area would like? Why wouldn't they like it? My clients get what I give them and the cost from me is the same for either option.

I always sculpt because I find it quicker than sizing, applying, cutting & shaping tips & because my tutor in college said it's something I would never learn as it's a skill that I would never master!!! ( I like a challenge!!) it's a constant learning curve when you come up against different nail plates

No one in my area offers gel sculpts which is one of the main reasons I have trained to do it.

I find it quicker than applying tips and in some ways, easier. I dont find one stronger than the other but I do prefer the feel of sculpts rather than tips.

Also, from looking around, sculptures seem to be more expensive than tips. :)

I prefer sculpting when it comes to nail biters. You can create the illusion of a long nail bed when doing pink & whites. On a nail biter, a white tip will make a nail look stubby. Also with some nail biters, there's just not enough nail for a tip to adhere to so sculpting is a great option.

It's unforunate that you weren't taught this skill in your coursework. It's a great one to have. I've attached a video.

Imagine being able to use these techniques to extend the nail bed of a badly bitten nail! It would look beautiful!

Retention+ Forever French - YouTube

Thanks very much for the replies, I think I will look into tutorials for this and give it a go!

I sculpt. I learned a few months back and I love it. Can be a bit tricky to master at first but I prefer to sculpt than tips as it's so much quicker and gives me great satisfaction when I have completed a set. I like the look and feel of sculpts and I have an advantage cause noone offers them in my area.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I only sculpt because that is all I learned. I absolutely love it. It is much cheaper for you for sure because tips are quite expensive. I wish I knew how to do both though because its nice to give your clients the option and a nail tech should be skilled in all areas. If nobody in your area sculpts then you should DEFINATLY learn and offer it. I am the only one in my area and once I mastered it I got busy fast. If you have something nobody else offers you have HUGE advantage.

You can elongate the nail bed using tips too gr8nails, i use clear/natural tips opaque white an create my smile line where i would like it then opaque pink of choice for the rest :) i personaly prefer tips, i get wonderful results every time! As perviously said sculpting is handy for those with wide nail beds or flatter nails :)

Latest posts

Back