Sculpting - what is the dark line??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indigo1

Reaction score
I have just had a go at sculpting on my nail trainer and myself. Found it ok actually, a lot easier than putting tips on, but as I said earlier I am very new to this!!

Anyway our cnd teacher showed us how to sculpt and used my mum as she was my model. When she did it, between the White and pink on the smile line is a dark line, what is this? As I have just done the same and can see the same line going round the smile line.

Also it feels quite strange under my nail. Would that be because the acrylic touching the skin?

TIA

When you place the white and sculpt your smile lime then you need to take it just a little higher than where your own natural smile lime/free edge starts.

What you have here is the pink, a very thin line of your own free edge showing through the pink and then the white. You will also see this when nails begin to grow between infills. Nothing to worry about just alter your white placement. :) xxx

It is known as the onychodermal band and is more visible on some people than others. It is where the hyponychium attaches to the underside of the nail plate.

Last edited:
I have just had a go at sculpting on my nail trainer and myself. Found it ok actually, a lot easier than putting tips on, but as I said earlier I am very new to this!!

Anyway our cnd teacher showed us how to sculpt and used my mum as she was my model. When she did it, between the White and pink on the smile line is a dark line, what is this? As I have just done the same and can see the same line going round the smile line.

Also it feels quite strange under my nail. Would that be because the acrylic touching the skin?

TIA

Probably. This would be caused by you leaving a gap between the form and the underside of your free edge allowing product to seep under and set up against your eponychium.

It is very common for this to happen when you are first learning to sculpt - and it is very important that you rectify this problem as as you'd know this can lead to over exposure.

Practise your form placement. Ensure that the form is placed tightly against the underside of the free edge before you begin to apply product. It is easier if you start with a very short natural free edge.

Practise Practise Practise.... Always remembering Geeg's tagline....

Practise doesn't make perfect.... Perfect practise makes perfect!

Latest posts

Back