Seeking strong opinion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should UK techs be licensed?

• Yes

Votes: 232 75.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 7.4%
  • Im undecided yet

Votes: 54 17.5%

• Total voters

Alex Fox

Reaction score
If you have a strong opinion on the issue of nail tech licensing, whether it be for or against, please give me a call or an email

regards Alex Fox

Scratch :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

Hi Alex

Well, I'll just start this 'little one' off!!!

In principle, it could, in time, help to improve the 'quality' of the industry and could help to counteract the long history of inadequate education. It would also provide a very specific goal for every practitioner.

In theory, it's a different matter. Who is the most appropriate licensing authority? It's local authority now but what purpose does it really serve. The LA's are struggling with what is required and this only concerns h&s and salon environments; not any other issue or mobiles!

Policing any form of licensing costs money and who would pay? The government expect sectors to police themselves but, until this industry pulls together, there is little chance of that.

I believe there are other ways that can achieve a goal that is both useful and informative for the industry and its clients. At the present time and forseeable future, this isn't licensing as it stands today.

I think that licencing now wouldn't make any difference to the industry as we see it today.

OK, so we get our license....what difference is there in this than taking the VTCT, NVQ or another induction course from a reputable company? So then we have our license to practice....

What next?

How does the licensor ensure that we continue to develop and upgrade our skills? Which we know we must, to keep up with developments within the industry, H&S requirements etc and even just to keep our skills top notch?

Hairdressing isn't licensed but if you have a bad haircut or a diabolical colour you know about it and would at best complain or at least never go back to that salon again......the public know what they want and are a bit savvy in this respect.

With nails they don't. Look how many posts we get on here about NSS and the damage done .... the public think it's ok until they are educated and go to a professional nail technician.

So the way forward for me is more education for our potential clients in knowing what they should expect from their nail technician and how the treatment should go as in it doesn't hurt and it is a relaxing experience.

We need dispell all the myths....having 'acrylic' nails ruins the natural nail, organic products are better, natural nails need to breathe etc etc etc.

Licensing in Utopia would be great but I don't think that anyone or any governing body has the cash to invest to make it work as it should in theory.

True professional nail technicians like you and I and a greater exposure about the industry and what to expect for our potential clients is the way forward.

I do not feel that licensing is the answer and I think this has been pr oven in countries like the USA. It sounds good doesn't it? "I,m a licensed Nail Technician" Yes, but does being licensed mean you're also a good technician. Well holding a driving license doesn't make one a good driver!
The industry needs a standard, a level that all nail technicians must train to before being allowed to treat the public. But who sets the standard, who pays for it and who monitors it?
There is an abundance of nail courses on the market today but sadly many of them are totally inadequate. Alot of people pay good money for poor training and come away thinking that they are "qualified" to practice the application of nail enhancements and manicures.
I would like to think that all well educated technicians, trade magazines, sites like this one and individuals passionate about our industry can join together reduce the amount of shoddy nail courses and corner cutting, ill informed 'nail technicians'. There,s strength in numbers. Maybe we could monitor and police the industry ourselves.
I would love to see all Nail Technicians attend a minimum of 2 days per annum updating and refreshing their skills

Jane said:
I would love to see all Nail Technicians attend a minimum of 2 days per annum updating and refreshing their skills

Couldn't agree more.

Licensing yea right ....the theory behind it is great, but in practical terms hmmmm ????.. this is a real minefield issue............
Who is going to regulate it, who is going to see that it is enforced, who is going to do spot checks on licenses ???? Who going to set the standard ????

This also means that there has to be one standard of practice for the whole of UK, so who is going to police this, to make sure that every county is following suit and is singing from the same song sheet ????
It seems hard enough setting the standards for Competition Technicians and getting the rules right so they are fair and please everybody....

Licensing is in force in the USA but does it really solve all the problems ??? Reading on the USA Beauty Site nope it doesn't seem too...........

I would like to see Education being the driving force behind a great Nail Technician, not the "well I have my license so I must be good Technician"....
But maybe there is a compromise, couple education with a renewable license, then if you don't cut it you don't get it and the more courses you take and exams you pass the more prestigious your license will be...........A bit like a driving license and then going on to do your AIM....

I sure as hell ain't got the magic answers and if there was a magic answer I am sure Licensing would be not such a pain in the butt.........
I have a Westminster Council License but is any one checking up on me ???
Nope never seen anyone come near or by ......
Does the license make me a good sound Technician, nope my education does that, my love for my profession and the pride I take in my work does that....

Just a thought, I wonder if they had the same problems when they introduced the driving license???? And since the introduction has it stopped accidents or has it just reduced the risks ??? Or is this more down to individual drivers being more responsible, careful and knowledable .... Food for thought xxx

I think licensing would be a good idea or at the very least a standard minimum education hours before a nail tech can go out and practise on paying clients. Too many people in the UK attend a one or two day course and then believe they can go out and 'do nails' for a living.

Of course, a license doesn't make a nail tech a 'good' nail tech but it should raise awareness of health and safty procedures when dealing with clients.

A licensing system is better than no system at all...

Kx

Karen said:
A licensing system is better than no system at all...

Kx
I do so agree with that!!..

My two cents……

Being from Canada, I don’t need a license to do nails, I can walk into a salon and get a job, if they choose to hire me, they too can train me with their product of choice. I have a hairstyling license, so I can get all the supplies I need. No questions asked. However, it does not make me any better, to hold that paper that says I went to school and am fully trained, but at the very minimum, it does say that I did have to put in many hours of training, and a minimum of 9 months apprenticing before I could hold that license. As with nails, I can show anyone how to do it, not that it would be good teaching, but that does not stop many from heading out and getting a job at a low end nail bar. I spent a lot of money to get were I am now with my nails, because I wanted to give the best service I can give. I do wish that I had a license to display beside my hairstyling one. Just to show clients that if nothing else I had done the minimum training. Here is a scenario of the salon that I recently worked at….

I and two others were working there, I just do nails, one is an estitician, and does nails, the third girl, well she only knows how to do waxing. The salon owner says “I want to teach you how to do nails”. So that is just what she does. Now this girl knows nothing about the disorders, or the diseases of nails. Nothing of the chemicals that are used. Just to name a few. But low and behold, she can now do nails on paying clients. Unfair in my mind, cost to her was nothing! I sooo think that a nail tech should have to be licensed. At least here in Canada I see it as a kick to the behind for the many of us that have spent much money, and put in many, many hours to be able to provide not only great results, but safe and sanitary ones as well.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

My two cents in Canada.

~Jackie

I am licensed to do permanent make up as it is a form of tattoing and whilst it does protect the public to an extent , it doesn't mean that I am good at what I do. It ensures that the machinery I use complies to current legislation, that I have a consultation process, am insured and trained, that I use correct sanitation and waste disposal procedures. But the lady from the Council had never seen a treatment done and could only refer to info she had gained from the internet and government guidelines. She made several observations of items that I needed to get, but issued the licence without checking I had done it. This was last October and I have neither heard nor seen from her since. So from personal experience I think that Licensing may bring about better hygience practices, but not better skills.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - what we NEED is a VOICE to educate the public, other technicians, the beauty industry, beauty editors and even the nail suppliers themselves. How many times do we see on this site people referring to poor media articles, advertisements and tech speak who are misinformed and confusing everyone?

The message is getting through and people are slowly realising that you shouldn't have to expereince pain to have enhancements. I just look forward to the day that they know what makes a good tech, a good looking nail and a good salon - just as they have had to with hair salons.

I am 100% behind licensing for nail techs...it show that I have been trained x amount of clock hours in a certified school I completed my clinicals have worked on real people with real nails and real nail problems, I have paid my money to go take my state board exam and have passed my theory exam and my clinical exams with a 75% score or better (don't quote me on the percentage...I'm not 100% sure about it) and if I decide to open up a shop or work in a shop, State Board can come in at anytime and shut us down if we are not adhering to proper practices....

With all that being said any Tom, Dick or Harry can walk in off the street to a beauty supply and buy acrylic, brushes etc. without knowing about sanitation, diseases of the nail, how to properly apply tips, wraps, gel etc...experiment on unsupecting individuals and get somewhat good enough to go to a shop where they have a friend and work off of someone elses license...hopefully they will get some sort of training there.

I again am in favor of licensing, because of the training/schooling you must go through, but what's the purpose of spending money for school when you can get around the system and still do what the heck you want??

True, we have a lot to put up with by being regulated by a governing body BUT it truly does protect the general public in more ways than not.

While having a license doesn't mean you are any good at your trade (hell, how many doctors are any good??) it at least means you've been properly trained in sanitation practices and have performed and hopefully improved your skills for a significant amount of hours in a clinical setting before being unleashed onto the masses.

Being required to hold a license does have it's pros and cons so before you get too worked up about how it would hinder you, spend a few minutes and look at how it could benefit you as well.

Though this post is a couple weeks old - Al had me put a poll on it Friday night as she is using the results for an Article in Scratch so I also made it sticky.

Based on the results so far on the poll I think most people are assuming they have already read this thread as it hasnt been replied to for a week. Therefore I thought I would bump this up to get some more people checking it out.

As far as the content goes - Im reserving my opinion for the moment (though I have already voted in the poll ;) ) - Many know my feelings already as I think there have been a couple of threads like this in the past.

nJoy

I did send a message direct to Alex, but not sure if it went to a Geekmail box - if so then it is somewhere in cyber space right now LOL

Yes, I do think we should have some form of regulation but NOT as it is at the moment. We all have differing opinions on the NVQ as it is at the moment - there seems to be a vast difference in it depending on where you go for it - but there shouldnt be. We have had people on here who have just completed their NVQ and asking such dangerously basic questions.

As it stands it is very unfair to have a blanket - NVQ in - any other certificate - out. When it comes to insurance - a student with an NVQ from where ever will get more favourable insurance than someone who has worked their way with a manufacturer up to advanced status. Is this fair and good for the industry.

I would like to see us with an Association - not ANT in its current state - that regulates its members and "proof" is needed of competence to remain a member. I would also like this "Association" to be in all of the beauty press saying that the consumers should be looking for "Association" members.

But how would this be financed and policed - I don't know to that one.

I'd just written a rather long and blathering posts about the ins and outs of how licensing could work, but as I got to my final point I realised that actually NO, I don't believe licensing would work. Wanna know why? :D

Just look at driving licenses. I don't know about anyone else but I know plenty (in fact, TOO many) drivers on the roads who hold a license and yet are the most goddamn irresponsible, no, DANGEROUS drivers I have ever met.
And yet according to our licensing laws, they are free to drive around on our roads because for 45 minutes one day they managed to convince a driving examiner that they could drive OK.

My point is that anyone could pass a nail licensing exam but it doesn't make them a good tech - they could just as easily throw all their knowledge by the wayside in day-to-day working, for the sake of speed, profit or just laziness. And yet they'd have their license and so, by all intents and purposes, would be perfectly entitled to do so.

The only way licensing would work is with a mass of inspectors going around doing random, 'secret shopper' spot tests to catch them out!

No, I believe that the only true way to ensure a better standard in our industry is to educate the customer, as it is their money that ultimately stops these NSSs from closing. Whilst there will always be some people who are too cheap or too blase about things to care one way or the other, if we could only EDUCATE the general public about what they should expect from a good salon, they would let their feet doing the talking, and at least some of these shoddy salons would shut down from lack of trade.
The problem is that whilst most people know the difference between a good shampoo and someone burning their neck with a pair of curling tongs (and some people still put up with that), not many people really know what constitutes good nail practise, and until they do, they will continue to keep these bad salons in business, and I don't think there's anything a piece of paper could do to stop it.

Just my 2 pence's worth!

Lol that is a superb response in my opinion, so thankyou - you really made me think about it from a different angle. You write so elequently and I love reading your responses to threads - I envy your talent.

Jo x

One has to ask the fundamental question: What is licensing meant to achieve?

I assume that the purpose would be to protect the health and safety of the consumer and professional.

Per capita I see little difference in the amount of damage, infections and/or allergic reactions in the UK versus the USA (which requires licensing in virtually all states) so what kind of conclusion can you draw comparing the two? Unless there is something I am missing - the purpose of licensure is moot when you make the comparison and if anything - licensing has the potential to actually damage the industry for two reasons.
  • A license would create a false sense of security with customers and the licensed nail professionals. The public would assume the a license means nothing could go wrong (no nail plate damage, infections, etc...) when it obviously can and does (i.e. USA)
  • The second reason it could be bad for the industry is the fact it would cost us millions in licensing fees and various taxes to cover the administration of the licensing procedure (that doesn’t even count policing!). This would put a serious damper on new individuals coming into the industry which in turn will result in fewer people having their nails done. Fewer people having nails done = public perception that they shouldn’t have their nails done! That’s why the industry grows like it does.
In my experience, most techs that desire licensing are those that have felt the sting competition (this is why NSS are mentioned so frequently in these discussions). They think 'my standards are better than theirs' and if licensing would be put into place - their competition would simply vanish. The problem is that this doesn’t occur... You can watch the growth of the industry in the US and when each state passed licensing regulations. Very little changed. The NSS will be the first to become licensed because they treat their salons more like a business than most nail professionals do!
You find yourself in New York and want nails done? It is virtually impossible to find a salon that wouldn’t fall into most peoples idea of a Non Standard Salon (trust me - I’ve tried). These are people who are licensed AND regularly pass state board inspection.

Still think licensing would solve the public experiencing nail woes? Think Paula Abdul’s poorly thumb; Licensed tech. The string of infections from footbath in California last year? Licensed nail professionals in licensed salons that passed Health and safety inspections. Bacterial infections? Many licensed techs in the US call it Mold! Lifting? Just as common. Drilling on the natural nail plate? More common in the US! Nippers, etching, blahblahblah? Per capita - more common in licensed places than not.

Licensing does not equate to education, skill level or professionalism.

I am not saying that those that are licensed are no better than those that are not. What I am saying is that it isn’t a magical wand as many assume it is. Back in the days of old in Utah - I was one of the most vocal proponents for licensing in the state. Now that it is licensed and I looking in with an outside perspective - I have doubts over the validity of its effectiveness.

Those that have a license are those that have worked hard and jumped through a lot of hoops to get it in their hot little hands - but what I am hearing from most people that carry a license is that at least it shows the public that they know about sanitation, health and safety etc... all of which could easily be achieved through an association that marketed itself to the masses and policed itself accordingly.

Anyhooo - those are just some of my thoughts that I decided to throw into the mix for an interesting debate :)

nJoy

I was fretting and putting myself into tormoil over the amount of nail salons that open around me. How much they charge, how long it takes to do a set, that their salon is in a better situation than me etc etc
Anyhow the guy that ran the business course that I attended rang me and booked me for a follow up appointment to see how i was going ... going? going under I was thinking!

He sat down and we went through stuff .. and he told me that of the nail techs that he personally had dealings with in a 1 1/2 mile area around me he could add up around £50 K worth of business ... and how did that make me feel? Absolute poo! said I. Well it shouldnt! he said ... it means that there is at least that amount of business for the taking if I wanted it.

Instead of worrying about the others I should be gaining the experience and the confidence to do some advertising and setting my sights upon getting that business as most clients are pretty fickle and will keep trying different salons for the latest offer but of those clients I would gain a steady loyal clientelle that will stay with me because I have worked my butt off to be better than my competition and that they love the service I offer. At the same time I can educate my clients to see the standards of service thta they should be accepting and to not be satisfied with the low standards from some of the other salons.

I have rethought this advice and reread threads on licencing etc and have come to the conclusion that Sam and Lol's opinions are right in that licencing would not solve anything. It would be a complete nightmare! It would not stop the NSS salons from opening.

I think the way forward is for us to educate our clients so that they stop accepting these crap standards and this initself will help the situation. and also to reiterate some of Sam's words "an association that marketed itself to the masses and policed itself accordingly".

I am going to work hard and make myself the best nail technician that I can be and educate my clients to accept the high standards that I offer and hope thta they stay as loyal to me as I will to them and not worry about the crap competition ... and as for the people that only ever go for the cheapo sets done in 3/4 hour well I would never be offering that so those people wouldnt be coming to me anyway so I shant fret over them ... I am sure that these places will keep opening and closing around me ...
but I shall remain :)

Although I voted Yes to Licensing - but not in its current form. I would far rather see our customers being as knowledgeable about their nail technician as they are about their hair salon.

When people call for an appointment they only ask the price - I have only twice had someone come to me because I am Creative trained and they did not even ask the price. This is what I would like to see in the future - the questions they ask should be What Training have you had? How long ago? Have you updated your skills on a regular basis? Who have you trained with? What product do you use? Are you fully insured? etc. Not just the price. But they need to know how to analyse the answers to the questions they ask. They need to know the relevance of regular training and the quality of the education we receive or not as the case may be.

In order for this to work we need to get the blinkered beauty editors to stop spouting about nails breathing, acrylic falsies ruining your nails etc. etc. and give us some support.

How do we get this to happen?

I think it is a good idea in principle but its a minefield on how to impliment it and regulate it. There will still be good and bad whatever you do but it would hopefully cut out the really bad. I had my nails done for 5yrs before i decided to train. Ive had only 1 bad experience which was having my natural nail filedwith a drill!! The frightening thing is that the tech who did it has her own salon and does training courses. As a customer i didnt know it was bad until i trained i just thought my nails hurt because i had had too many enhancements on.

If licensing was introduced, and that's a big if, would it be enough, would it make that much of a difference? I cannot see that licensing Nail Technicians would make a big enough difference in the industry. We must remember that the buck doesn't end with the Nail Technicians. I do think that we need some sort of regulatory body but not just for Nail Technicians, for the industry as a whole. Licensed technicians meeting a set minimum standard would be a total waste of time if they are bordered on all sides by companies and individuals selling poor quality products and selling to the general public and by sub standard education.
A standard needs to be set right across the board, from research & developement, manufacture, distribution, education and Nail Technicians.
I voted no to licensing.

Latest posts

Back