Seeking strong opinion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should UK techs be licensed?

• Yes

Votes: 232 75.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 7.4%
  • Im undecided yet

Votes: 54 17.5%

• Total voters
We have the State Board here that are supposed to do "random" inspections at various salons at any given moment...now whether they do them or not I don't know.

Just as the case is with drivers licenses so is the case with doctors and lawyers, (I think you guys call thgem solicitors) there are some doctors out there that you would swear pulled their license out of a box of cereal or got it as a prize from a bubble gum machine, but would you go to a doctor that you KNEW had NO license to practice medicine? Just because you have a license does not mean you are following procedure, just as the ability to get pregnant and push out a baby does not make you a good mother, but there is no way in...anywhere...I would go and let an unlicensed-just-playing-around doctor deliver my child just because he says "Oh, I went to a week long training, now I know what I'm doing." Don't think so...

Ive only been doing this a year, and although i feel happy with how im progressing, it scares me that i could get a job in a salon when im nowhere near the standard that should be acceptable to work.

Although not in the UK anymore I set myself by Uk standards. I believe that holding a license wouldnt make any difference yet it would cost us more to hold one!

I want to see a governing body with such a reputation that we all want to join and be proud to be a member, I want them to lead the way instructing us in the proper practices of our industry. We have these in place already and it is up to us to get behind such organisations and MAKE them know what we want in order for us to get WHAT we want!

I agree with most of what is being said.
Wouldn't it be great if our local licensing authorities actually cared about these things, and employed someone with some knowledge of the industry to issue licences, oh and did spot checks on salons to make sure they maintained the standards! Dream on! this just wouldn't happen, anything that gets licensed by them( sunbed salons, taxis etc) is just a means for the local authority to make MONEY. THEY DON'T CARE.
I know I am biased but the only licence that would mean anything to me is the Creative Licence, obtained when a masters level has been reached in all the cnd nail systems. This will have to be updated on a yearly basis, BY INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS WHO CARE, and know everything there is to know about nails.
I don't doubt that other nail companies will follow suit with similar programmes, and wouldn't this be better than letting petty minded bureaucrats from local authorities fleece us for a bit of paper ?
I think the nail industry is large enough now and has a good voice in the beauty trade, to be able to police itself and set and maintain high standards of Education. We are actually winning awards for Training now within the Beauty industry, we must be doing something right!
So at the moment I am voting NO on this poll

I did post a short (for me!) opinion at the beginning of this thread but just want to clarify/add a little point.

I don't think any type of licensing from any official 'body' will do any good at all until the attitude of the whole industry changes. There will always be those who love to find a way to beat the system anyway.

Things are getting a lot better but what will have the most beneficial effect is the attitude. There are no amount or rules and regulations, bits of paper, secret shoppers, inspections etc if someone wants to be a 'cheapskate' and try to make a 'fast buck'.

If everyone who worked in the industry agreed that this needs to be a Professional industry with truly professional attitudes licensing would be irrelevant. But while some believe a nail technician is created in a few days or even months, health & safety and knowledge is essential and lots and lots real people don't really need to be practised on, no amount of licensing or other legislation will make this a better place to be.

I"m with you Jackie! I'm in Canada too. I'm not a hairstylist, but an esthetician, and frankly, I'd like to see the whole industry licenced - nails and skin. I am amazed that someone needs a licence to cut my hair, but I can put acids on someones face without so much as a piece of paper.

Tavinailtech said:
I do so agree with that!!..

My two cents……

Being from Canada, I don’t need a license to do nails, I can walk into a salon and get a job, if they choose to hire me, they too can train me with their product of choice. I have a hairstyling license, so I can get all the supplies I need. No questions asked. However, it does not make me any better, to hold that paper that says I went to school and am fully trained, but at the very minimum, it does say that I did have to put in many hours of training, and a minimum of 9 months apprenticing before I could hold that license. As with nails, I can show anyone how to do it, not that it would be good teaching, but that does not stop many from heading out and getting a job at a low end nail bar. I spent a lot of money to get were I am now with my nails, because I wanted to give the best service I can give. I do wish that I had a license to display beside my hairstyling one. Just to show clients that if nothing else I had done the minimum training. Here is a scenario of the salon that I recently worked at….

I and two others were working there, I just do nails, one is an estitician, and does nails, the third girl, well she only knows how to do waxing. The salon owner says “I want to teach you how to do nails”. So that is just what she does. Now this girl knows nothing about the disorders, or the diseases of nails. Nothing of the chemicals that are used. Just to name a few. But low and behold, she can now do nails on paying clients. Unfair in my mind, cost to her was nothing! I sooo think that a nail tech should have to be licensed. At least here in Canada I see it as a kick to the behind for the many of us that have spent much money, and put in many, many hours to be able to provide not only great results, but safe and sanitary ones as well.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

My two cents in Canada.

~Jackie

Hi all

I am very new to the industry and at this moment in time I feel my only network of support is this website. I would love to see this profession be recgonised (cant spell!!!) with better regulations and stuff. I also agree very strongly that in such professions you need to update and refresh your skills regularly.

Licensing is in force in the USA but does it really solve all the problems ??? Reading on the USA Beauty Site nope it doesn't seem too...........

Licensing in the USA causes problems that are too long to go into detail. Basically each state determines whether or not you are required to have a license, what training requirements are to be met, and if they will accept a license from another state.

Several states here are working toward a National Testing Standard, so that if you passed the national test your license would be valid any where in the country. As it is now, if I wanted to move, I would have to contact the state board of the new location, make application for a license and then follow through. (for example, I recently faced the possibility of moving to Washington, I have had an Idaho license for 15 years and been working in the industry for the entire time. To be licensed in Washington I would have to take the Board Exam over...the same test I teach my students to take. Until I take and pass Washington's exam, my license would not be valid. If I had not been working, I would have been required to go back to school)

The good side of licensing is that it does require education, and some states require continuing education credits befor you can renew your license. Any professional attends continuing education.

I would be more than happy to explain any questions about licensing or requirements over here that anyone has. There are good and bad things involved in licensing, and hopefully I can give an unbiased explanation.

bimbogeri said:
No, I believe that the only true way to ensure a better standard in our industry is to educate the customer, as it is their money that ultimately stops these NSSs from closing. Whilst there will always be some people who are too cheap or too blase about things to care one way or the other, if we could only EDUCATE the general public about what they should expect from a good salon, they would let their feet doing the talking, and at least some of these shoddy salons would shut down from lack of trade.
The problem is that whilst most people know the difference between a good shampoo and someone burning their neck with a pair of curling tongs (and some people still put up with that), not many people really know what constitutes good nail practise, and until they do, they will continue to keep these bad salons in business, and I don't think there's anything a piece of paper could do to stop it.

Exactly what i waas thinking!!!!

Its all very well and good trying to regulate the iondustry, but without clients there would be no industry for us... right?? So by educating clients they can make their own informed descisions. and hopefully nss salons will dissapear.

Technicians should WANT to refresh their skills so they are giving their clients the best service.

xx

I personally think regulation etc is in theory a good idea. I am new to this business also and I found it incredibly difficult to even find out what training I needed. I scoured the internet, a hairdresser friend gave me magazines from the industry and I ended up phoning them for information. The cost of training varies tremendously - also the quality. An 'old bird' like me cannot just go off to college and train. Therefore, we are left out in the 'sea' of companies from which to choose where to train. At first I did not know exactly what training I needed. To be honest, I am still learning. I know and would definitely like to have more training, but the cost is huge especially when you only have one or two customers!! I would dearly love to go on a long course and just do nails for days. I am sure we would then learn a lot of the skills that we are tending to pick up on this site. Do you all think that if training was made more affordable then more people would train for longer than throw themselves at the mercy of the unsuspecting public too soon (does that make sense?) Also, somewhere, people should be able to find out exactly what they need to do in order to become fully qualified. Maybe if the industry was regulated, this would be easier?

I think that a star rating system like we have for hotels and restaraunts would be a cool idea, where you are assessed on for instance health and safety, services offered, levels of training etc. Salons could pay an annual fee to be part of this system, this way those nail techs that wish to have their skills recognised can do so, those that dont-dont. Its probably not as simple as it sounds but i do think we need something, there are several self taught 'nail techs' in my area and i think that their often poor practices puts a black mark against those of us who have worked hard to learn as much as we can and take pride in our work. Its just a thought anyway...

I have recently immigrated to Australia and guess what... we have same problems here, only difference is...they are just starting compared to the UK.

Licencing?? Good, but is it ideal? I have read all the post and cannot agree more with the comparisons of drivers, doctors, etc all with licences but doesn't make them good....Shipman had a licence didnt he.....I think the Dr Death, here in oz had one too...... and suprisingly did you know Plastic Surgery is non regulated down under!!!! So what hope in the world do we have of getting Nail Techs licenced and regulated??

The answer is simple (in theory)! Little Techs like us have NO CLOUT!! It is the large corporations that need to be behind this drive as well as education centres....both Product/Company and Government ones (Colleges etc). Companies have the finance, the spokespeople and the knowledge (hopefully) to push for this!! Not your stressed out Nail Techs competing with the NSS. And yes we have them here too....only I think we have more than you have in the UK!!!!

I would love to see a National Association for Techs that is a RECOGNISED Assoc by the Govt. An assoc that is not only for techs but for the manufacturers of the products too. Companies MUST and SHOULD be members. Their subscription fees should be higher too. As nail techs we not only represent an industry, we represent the company we trained with and the company whose products we use and sell. Therefor ALL involved in the nail industry should be members of this one Assoc. This National Assoc should be a member of an International Assoc. so that all Assoc can liase and work together in driving the issues forward; its global.

TRAINING should be regulated. You should NOT be able to hold a course unless you are a GOVT recognised training facility and registered with the Association. And the consumer need to know this. Train in a non recognised facility and you will not be a recognised tech, for employment purposes!! You will still have the odd tech working from home and not bothering....but with proper public awareness I am sure the message will get across.

Good Techs are well trained ones!! Trained in RECOGNISED facilities by RECOGNISED Educators. And ALL training should be standard!! Obviously product training is different, but all techs whether trained by a company or college should all follow a STANDARD syllabus. The only difference in training should be the product used and product application training. Nail Compmaies should be working with the Colleges as it is. This is the new generation of Techs we are talking about....surely you want them well trained and...using your products??????? It is ALL about £ and $ at the end of the day.

Every "body" has to work together. Fistly we need our Association. Nail manufactures/companies then need push the govt...hey you pay the most taxes... to get your training facilities and educators recognised in line with colleges and govt training facilities. And we need ONE syllabus to cover us all; from Basic nail Tech to Educator.

No amount of TV, Magazine press is going to solve this. We need the clout to be from the TOP!! Where the big bucks are......THE CORPORATES!!!!

So that's my opinion anyway.....for what its worth, I am merely a small fish in a HUGE pond........

Regards from "down under"
:cool:

ok iv read all your opinions on developing a governing body for nail techs....and for or against i feel i havnt read anything i disagree with...but can i be honest..i attended a month long in depth course on nails...i paid a lot of money for the course and i also saved like crazy to give up my old job and decided nail enhancements would pay my car and mortgage and look after my 2 kids..i couldnt fail..oh no when i got on the course i couldnt believe how hard it was...out of 12 girls on my course i was the only pupil that went on to be a nail tech...dont get me feel wrong i hated all my nails and couldnt believe how hard it rely was..but i jus couldnt give up..bills and such had to be paid and i cried and cried...i felt like i was taking money 4 a rubbish job ...now im a very gud nail tech who provides an exellent service...but oh my god if id of been monitored getting to were i am now id of gone under...im a very good nail tech and i cringe at how i got here...id like to be monitored now but not then...i bet lots of us no how that feels...my opinion is a good nail tech is found and kept by her loyals..no licence prooves how gud you are ..just that you behaved right on the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sorry 2 be so honest...karen

I think in principal its good and worthy idea.

However this is only if it is licensed property and regulated by a board that maintain to the same rules and regs and not waiver from them one bit – but at what cost and who would fund this?

I would imagine that this is not something the local authorities would want to fund as what benefit is it to them?

One way I would think is could work is for the Nail Professional to pay an annual fee to allow for inspectors and the administrational costs that licensing would incur – now how many of us out there would be willing to pay? I know I would, but what about those that don’t care about standards etc who would make them pay or keep up to the prescribed training? Without a blanket force through the UK this probably would mean very little to the paying public.

Another point is that just because a technician attends a course to refresh/maintain and or update his or her skills will actually put these into working practice, if they’ve spend the last 5 years or more cutting corners and costs in their service to make a fast buck would it really make them change?

I recently went to reputable salon and their hygiene standards were less than desireable and there were certificates everywhere!

My main hope is that we can educate our clients well enough to know what’s not and what is acceptable from a professional in our industry and it time it will be the public that regulate it.

I did not know that you could not be lisenced. Here in the U.S. in the state I live in of course requires lisencing. The State and the school I attended was very adament and strict about nail fungus, sanatizing, nail diseases that can spread from one person to another. I am uncertain if nail techs should be lisenced or not until I know ALL of the facts.

what can i add but YES

Imo ,humble as it is lol,i feel very strongly that we should be licensed,we are offering a professional service,like hairdressing,and using potentially harzourdous substances,like hairdressing,so why on earth not ?

When you are talking about licensing any profession, no matter what it is, I think first you need to start with setting a "minimum" standard that everyone must meet who teaches the nail programs. I am not just talking about licensing here. what I am reffering to is a minimum "trainning" and educational standard that starts with the program being taught in school or nail tech program. Lets start there first. Over here in the US each school teaches things differently. You won't find two schools who teach exactly the same day in and day out. For example, one school near me is primarily hands on trainning with "book" materials you do in your own time. they never go over any of that stuff- but you must learn this on your own by going over the material in your spare time. the time in class is spent doing "hands on trainning" then right up the road you have a college course thats mostly "book work" with very little hands on trainning. then each state is different- the laws are different- everything is different- nothing is the same!! and this is very frustrating indeed. I for one am moving to another state and i am having heeps of trouble trying to transfer my license over- because the education i recieved when i first trained is not enough "credit" hours for them they require more and are raising the requirements july 1st. and they must also see my transcripts from the school i graduated from to see what i was taught verses what they teach . the one thing i hear no matter what country you live in is the poor quality of the trainning programs. lets first set a standard for the "trainning" we recieve no matter who we train through. lets make that the same and regulated and hold them accountable for what they teach. Its true that not everyone who is trained the proper techniques will actually continue to do so outside of the class room- but this way we all have been taught and informed of the "standards" some may think that each state teaches the same thing, well i have news for you- they dont!! oh yes they may teach you just enough to get by on to pass your exams in that individual state but is it enough? and is it the same as others are taught within the same industry and to the same standard? in my oppinion its not. the majority of what i really learned was outside of school and you have to ask yourself why is that? if we are going to regulate our industry more lets start their first, and for in the states over here, lets set a standard test and education guidelines everyone must meet. have it be equal so that way no matter where you trained you were taught the same as another nail tech across your state line and can work in any state that you choose. and as for the main topic on weather or not a license is a good idea- yes i definatley think its a great idea and should be done, if for nothing more but to ensure"sanitation" and safety requirements are being met within the salon to keep the public safe. but there are a few kinks that need to be worked out first.

Yes nail techs should be licensed,if not we would have lots of clients suing us.I thank god that i decicded 8 years ago to go to nail school,Sometimes we nail techs get clients coming to us after going to an unlicensed nail tech who is cheaper,then they come to us licensed nail techs to repair the damage that was caused to their nails.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

Another Canadian Tech here!!! When I started out in this industry 7 yrs ago, We had to complete 3 month course (8months for esthetics), then we had to write a government exam, if we passed, then we could work in our field. They had constant inspections of salons and licensing... although not enough. Then they deregulated us 3 yrs ago. Now, anyone can walk of the street and take a 2 day class and call themselves a nail tech. I paid over $5,000.00 and many months to get get my license. I think it takes the professionalism out of it when anyone can start doing what I worked hard and paid lots to do. I do think that if licensing comes back ( it is in legislation as we speak), then the government must do their part in reinforsing all their regulations. It amazes me how many incompetant nail techs and esthetians are out there... more so now that there is no regulation then before.

Latest posts

Back