Self motivation....do you have it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have self-motivation - I've just started my Masters because I want to be better at what I do......no-one's making me, I just want to.

I agree with Angie, it's easy sometimes to say you're fully booked when really you can't be bothered but I too look at what that appt might turn into. I've had some good clients from appts I almost couldn't be bothered to do...... It's different when it's your own money you're earning!!!

Good thread Izzi!

I must be motivated cos I have had my ups and downs with this industry and still interested after all this time. I still love nails/beauty.

If I get fed up - I just think how I hate to drop clients in so I get on with it. I am always striving to be on time and always do the best I can.

I will still want to learn new things as long as I do this job.

I do agree with this comment Cathie, especially if you are self employed.

That said, don't you think that you can plateau sometimes? and just coast along doing OK nails with an OK clientel and this let's the competition catch up or even overtake you.

It takes self motivation to get out there find out what changes are happening in the Industry and what courses and new concepts can improve your skills and take you to the next level. This will give you the edge over the competition, and keep your enthusiasm levels up.
I don't think I have ever reached a plateau of just coasting along, I don't want to stand still.....but yes I guess it does happen, I'm sure we all see it in out localities.....as you say the self-motivated ones are always looking to update skills, find better of different ways of doing things, reaching outside the box, moving to the next level.

The competition will never over take me, I'm far too proud and careful about my business to allow that to happen, even though at times there are circumstances where things are out of my control.....

BTW it was Christine you quoted not me lol!

To be honest you have to be motivated when you are responsible for your own earnings...it would be so easy sometimes to say "no sorry i am fully booked" on days where i feel i cant be bothered.....but i don't cos i need to be earning and that client could become a regular and go on to tell others who could also become regulars....i never see it as turning down £30 but as turning down a possible £100's of pounds.

I so agree with all of this Angie, we have the same mindset .

Well I've been hooked on nails from the word go and tbh can't imagine doing anything else. For the time being I'm 100% happy with working from home and working school hours and evenings. I can juggle it round the kids and still be there to pick them up from school etc, which is important for me and I am totally committed to being there for them and this works for me.

In a few years who knows. At the moment, I don't feel I want any extra hassle in my life i.e. a salon, staff, etc. But you have to be open to change, depending on your circumstances.

I am very proud to have built up a loyal clientele which keeps me pretty busy. Considering I have no shop front and most of my clients are w.o.m. recommendations, I feel I have been more successful than I was actually expecting. I don't feel the urge to compete, not at all. My pleasure lies in giving clients nail transformations and getting a kick out of their reaction. And in hearing people say complimentary things about my standard of work. That's lovely. Competitions are fine if thats your bag.

I agree that to be self-employed you have to be self-motivated.

I never spoke to a single working nail tech for over 3 years (well till I found this site really). If that's not self-motivated, what is lol!

I believe that I have self motivation, I know what I want to acheive and I will certainly put in the hours to acheive what I want. I do have a tendancy to put too much pressure onto myself though, I seem to have a desire to prove myself to myself is that makes sense :lol: , and I really do beat myself up if I feel that I have failed.

My imediate goal is to become a Grand Master (nearly there!!!) I KNOW that I will do it, although I am too huge to do it this year now :lol:

After that I have no great abitions for the forseable future, just to be able to juggle another baby and still work to the best standard that I can.

Future goals are atm to believe in myself, I have to start having confidence in what I do if I want to be a success, which atm is sadly lacking!

Fab thread Izzi xx

Latest posts

Back