Selling my car!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkpink2008

Reaction score
So as the title suggests Im selling my car, but where? Car dealers are offering over £1000 less than low end book price without even seeing car! It's only an 09 reg but I need bigger, the car I want is less than mine but the garage won't give cash back and I'd be losing close on £2k then :( any suggestions geeks? I'm not far from Wolverhampton area

We buy any car.com? Never used it but hear the adverts all the time xx

We buy any car won't offer what it's worth I would use gumtree it's free x

Facebook for sale or free pages fro your area, Cheapcycle, Gumtree, Vivastreet. They are all free but I always use Autotrader and have always sold within the first week. You can do it online and post photographs or video of your car and the ad goes live immediately. Do a bit of research first and see if there are other cars similar to yours for sale on there and what they are charging, then look up the sold ones and see what they sold for, that will give you a good idea of how much you could expect to get. Just be careful of Bankers Drafts because there have been some really dodgy ones out there. Fraudulent Drafts from branches of banks that dont even exist, so do a proper check. The ploy is that they usually come and see the car over a weekend or late on a friday when you cant check or get to pay it in until the Monday, by then they are long gone with your car and insurance wont pay because you willingly handed your car and documents over. ( it happened to a cousin of mine with a VERY expensive car and fortunately the police found the car a few days later trying to board a ferry )

i've always sold my cars on ebay. Alays got more thank was offered px

Will give those a try thanks, thinking of saying payment via bank transfer only? Not sure really

Ive always sold mine on autotrader and one on ebay. Ebay was abit of a nightmare for me with there fees, and one guy bought it and then said his kid did it!?! Pain. I found autotrader better but I always state no sales calls. I always stayed away from bank transfers just incase..

Ebay or autotrader, but as said above usually less time wasters with autotrader... U won't ever get a "good" price from a dealer, as they want to make as much profit as possible. I'd also be abit scared of bank transfers. Check autotrader for similar cars/mileage etc and price your car accordingly.

Good luck xx

I don't think you can do a bank transfer on eBay. I sold mine through eBay and got cash.

Oh and a good old fashioned for sale sign in the window and park where people go past!

Checked autotrader and their higher than I was going to ask so hopefully if I put it on at price I want it should sell :) I was advised by bank that transfer is safest as they couldn't steal from me or anything, would be a bit worried about having the amount of cash tbh as I'm asking £5k for it. Thanks for the advise, you geeks are god sends xx

Ive always sold mine on autotrader and one on ebay. Ebay was abit of a nightmare for me with there fees, and one guy bought it and then said his kid did it!?! Pain. I found autotrader better but I always state no sales calls. I always stayed away from bank transfers just incase..

The exact same thing happened to me! Guy said his kid bidded not him. Idiots!
I put my car on eBay, didn't sell but because I put a reserve I was charged £125. Then they said relist for free, so I did then was charged another £125 and it still didn't sell. So just be careful of their fees.
I was also scammed out of £3400 over a car on pistonheads website so be wary of that too.
As you can tell I don't have much luck with cars lol! Xx

If they could pay u cash they could take the car straight away :) I'd just have a guy (hubby or partner) to take the cash, and go straight to the bank. I don't like transfers, I am always worried they can some how claim it back ;) plus it would take them a little longer to pay/take the car.
Don't sell it too cheap if they are going for more, put some pennies in your own pocket :) xx

Try to meet with them at your bank. Keep them away from your house. We sold a wave runner and the guy commented on our truck how nice it was. I said oh thank you and he smiled. 2 days later someone stole it. Not trying to scare you but I learned the hard way!! Also that way they can't come back and take the cash if your meeting at bank.

Ive sold my last 4 cars via auto trader and they always call to check i was happy and that i managed to sell. I always take it- the car to my parents house as im only 24 and dont feel comfortable home alone selling a car to some man! so i take it there make sure my dads in and they come over to have a look. If there happy they leave a deposit i write out a receipt and they go away with the details to insure themselves. They then come back a day or 2 later with the rest of the money in cash ( CASH ALWAYS) i take them for a drive in it ( never let them drive it incase they crash and didnt actually gvet insurence!)
there 100% happy fill out relevant details and log books etc car sold and i go to bank and pay in my cash! Sorted. xxx

Latest posts

Back