Selling up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelxdevil

Geeky Sac Waxer
Reaction score
Hi everyone

need some advice.

As some of you are aware, I'm leaving to live in France. Well... Wait for it.... I'm leaving mid December. It's finally happening and I'm off.

Only thing is I have a very good business running at the moment, beit only a year and a half old and mobile (some clients come to me), I've got to leave it behind. I've spent thousands on advertising etc and the business has a few regulars and also have quite a few clients who only come/book 3/4 times a year for special occassions etc.

Anyway. Should I sell it or should I give it away??? I wouldn't be selling the company name just the clients that I have. I've checked with my clientelle and they would all like me to find an alternative therapist, so I need to pull my finger out and get myself organised.

What shall I do???

I think you would be doing your clients the best service if you were to research the other therapists in your area and recommended one that you had confidence in.

If for instance you sold your client list then the person buying it might get no clients from it as your clients might choose to go somewhere else. How would your clients feel at being "sold".

I'd refer my clients to another therapist who you can recommend if possible.
Good luck with the move.

Didn't think of it like that. Should I just cut my losses and give my friends name out then?

Didn't want to seem greedy, if you know what I mean.

Dont see it as cutting your losses - see it as being helpful and good to your clients. If you have confidence in your friend's abilities and not doing it because she is your friend, then yes give them her name.

Thanks for the advice Fiona I really value it x

I do have a close friend who could do with the business and I also value her as a therapist. She is one of the girls I call on if I ever have a spa party.

Hi sarah,
Good luck with moving to France. Will you be setting up your mobile biz there? Which area are you moving to? Can you speak French? I was thinking about moving to France a couple of years ago. My inlaws have a house in Tournan St Martin near the Bren National Park, Central France I think! It's lovely but quite remote. Not sure I'd wana be sooo out in the sticks! Have you ever been on the "Living France" forum? My inlaws found it really helpful when they were on the move. I still ponder the idea but it takes a lot to up sticks & go. Your a brave lady, well done chuck. :)

well as you may know I too am moving abroad (to Spain) and I actualy finish work in 3 weeks time. I did think about selling my client base but I couldn't guarantee that they would all go to that one person so thought better of it. So all I have done is recommend two places for them to go to, and if they are not suitable then what positive things to look for in a technician when trying to locate one convenient to them as some of my clients do travel a fair distance to get here.

Good luck with your move, it's so scarey and exciting all at once!

Hi sarah,
Good luck with moving to France. Will you be setting up your mobile biz there? Which area are you moving to? Can you speak French? I was thinking about moving to France a couple of years ago. My inlaws have a house in Tournan St Martin near the Bren National Park, Central France I think! It's lovely but quite remote. Not sure I'd wana be sooo out in the sticks! Have you ever been on the "Living France" forum? My inlaws found it really helpful when they were on the move. I still ponder the idea but it takes a lot to up sticks & go. Your a brave lady, well done chuck. :)

Thanks honey x

Not sure what I'll be doing there to start with. Main priority is to get the kids settled first and then learn to speak the language as I know nothing lol. My parents live near Limoges and I'll be living with them for a while, then we're hoping to buy a plot of land and build our own.

I'm used to having family around me and for four years I've not had that and still find it a struggle. So I'm upping sticks and off we go. Also in the long run it'll be better for us financially as in 5 years fingers crossed all mortgage will be paid off etc. There aren't many 34 year old who can say that are there. So I'm considering myself a very lucky person.

Will have a look at that forum as I need all the help I can.

Sassy Hassy helped a little too with her advice as she is soon to move to Spain.

well as you may know I too am moving abroad (to Spain) and I actualy finish work in 3 weeks time. I did think about selling my client base but I couldn't guarantee that they would all go to that one person so thought better of it. So all I have done is recommend two places for them to go to, and if they are not suitable then what positive things to look for in a technician when trying to locate one convenient to them as some of my clients do travel a fair distance to get here.

Good luck with your move, it's so scarey and exciting all at once!
Thanks honey x

I wish you all the luck in the world too xxx

When I moved from the States to Canada I sold my client list and made a good profit by donig so $5,000 for 140 clients (an average of $35.00 per client)......I asked my clients first hand if they would mind if I sold there info to a professional...and most said no they don't care (95%).....I made sure NOT to use the terms "sold them" ...to get my price I put an average price of a full set on every card I sold and had a written agreement with the new tech this clientel was not guarenteed but was a one time booking fee......ie: my clients would book once for service after I left .....then it was up to the new tech to keep my clients happy with " her" work.......I still stay in touch with some of my clients to this day 1 1/2 years after my move and they are still with this tech and see other clients that they knew went to me .....so I say sell you client list!!! .....you worked hard to get them and have them be loyal clients to you ....they rely on you and trust your jugement ...if you can find them a professional person who will take care of them like you did they will be grateful to you and won't mind there info being sold .......and will be happy you did not just throw them to the wind.......

Sarah

Gonna miss you honey

But all the luck and hugs in the world you deserve it

Your the nuts !!!!!!!!!

good luck with it all hun xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah

Gonna miss you honey

But all the luck and hugs in the world you deserve it

Your the nuts !!!!!!!!!
I'll still be around babes x Just not in this country x

good luck Sara, I lived in Paris for 3 years and even though I never learned to speak more then shoping French I loved every miniute of it. Where abouts are you going?

Awwwww. :cry: I will loose my local geeky friend.

What an opportunity though - I would love to move to another country in my lifetime, deffinately a goal for the future, to expand my salon into a chain, and have a branch somewhere sunny!! lol. (lets just hope I dont fall flat on my face with the first one! :lol: )

I'm sure your whole family will benefit from your move, especially your boys. xxx

Latest posts

Back