Setting up a home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HayleySullivan

Reaction score
I am thinking of converting my garage into a salon.

Does anyone no if I need planning permission?

Or how much it would cost to convert it? What it would take to convert?

Thanks for any help

As far as i'm aware, yes you do need planning permission, i think the rule is, if the room is still going to be dual use, then no you dont need permission, i.e. if you were going to set up in the corner of your kitchen or conservatory etc, but if the room is a new one or an exisiting one, made soley for the use of your business then yes you do need permission and i think it means you have to pay business rates on it too (might depend on the individual council)

I'd ring you local panning office, tomororow see whats involved and what they can tell you hun, then whatever they say, ask them to send you it in black and white, only because our local office agreed to a 2 storey extension over the phone for us, then denied our application , until we produced the letter where theyd originally agreed to it, then they had to let us continue, but if we hadnt asked for it in writing, we wouldnt have had a leg to stand on

as for cost, again that depends on where you live, and who you gte to do it, why not ring a couple of local contractors and get them to give you a free quote, you will need water, elecy/gas etc insulation, and maybe a new floor (depending on exisiting one) are you having the garage door removed and a wall built with a door in its place? if so then windows, doors etc, and then theres fittings inside, make sure you draw out a plan of what your going to want inside and where, then they will have an idea of what to quote you for

hths hun xx

There's a few geeks been round in circles on this one.....my opinion is make some very surreptitious enquiries, as to how your council would feel about it but do not give them any info that ultimately links it to you until you're ready!

Have a little read here about one geeks recent 'troubles' with her council

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/67643-planning-permssion-work-home.html

I personally believe most of them are using it as revenue generators right now, with no thought as to how many small businesses maybe put off by their red tape and costs.

Hi there- Yes you certainly do need planning permission when converting your garage. Our garage was converted into a beauty room a few months ago. It did seem to be more of a formality though as our fee was returned to us by the council.

You have to comply to building regulations and have a building inspector around at various points to check the work. The hardest part was submitting the plans. My husband drew them up but an architect will cost £450 + depending where you are. They do have to be of a technical standard to the correct scale with external views and internal layout (before & after the conversion) You also have to buy ordance survey maps as well for the records, which you get from the council for a fee.

You can only get away without it if you keep your garage door intact so the view does not change from the outside. :)

I will not be changing the garage door that will be left as is. It will be covered up from the inside but will not look any different from the outside.

Does this still need planning permission?

Hi Hayley - Probably not but as an earlier post suggests write to your local council and state what you wish to do in writing. This is the only way you will know for sure. It seems to depend how much of your home will be the business and how many extra people will be coming to your house regarding noise, parking - disruption to neighbours etc.

Obviously in the beauty trade it should not cause too much change to your home or neighbourhood. I would be very surprised if you needed planning permission but different councils have different rulings. Check your local council website for pointers. :hug:

Hi I'm newbie Welcome!
Just read up on your conversations, I've been working from home in my dinnig room since June 06, have'nt spoke to the council about this.- question- would I also need to inform them?- (didn,t do so only because I haven,t many clients)

:irked: Kymara

Latest posts

Back