Setting up a new business, working from home.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Envi

Reaction score
I will have completed my training in a few weeks, so I'm now thinking about setting up my own business, but obviously have concerns about the timing, credit crunch etc. I would like to work from home initially to see how it goes, and possible offer mobile where required, but not quite sure where to go from here. I've looked into registering a business name, and the financial side, and I know I need to contact my home insurance and get public liability insurance etc., but any advise anyone can offer would be welcome, i.e. do I need to contact my local authority for permission to work from home etc.?

First of all congratulations on going for it!! :hug: I know this is a new venture for you after many years in another type of business so I wish you all the very best.

I started my nail business from home many years ago and loved it. The only reason I 'went to town' and opened a nail salon and then a small chain of nail salons was that I had a large family (5 children) and my husband who worked very long hours (poor man, he had to didn't he with all of us to support) liked to come home to tranquility and not ladies bustling in and out of the house.

I was always insured, but have to confess I never bothered to say anything to my local council (oops). I started out doing friends and friends of friends and never thought my business would grow so rapidly or so large. I guess depending on the kind of neighborhood where you live there might be some restrictions on the type of business you can run from home.

I've always been a bit of a rebel and am not to keen on 'rules for the sake of rules'. I have a more pragmatic approach (I'm not advising you to do this but :green:). I opened first and asked questions later.

Hi Nail Envi

you will have to contact your local council and you my have to pay business rates as you would be using your homa as a business. It cost diffrent amounts in diffrent areas of scotland and you will have to check regards to parking as some might complain. If there is anything else I can help you with pm or email me.. Good Luck.. xx

First of all congratulations on going for it!! :hug: I know this is a new venture for you after many years in another type of business so I wish you all the very best.

I started my nail business from home many years ago and loved it. The only reason I 'went to town' and opened a nail salon and then a small chain of nail salons was that I had a large family (5 children) and my husband who worked very long hours (poor man, he had to didn't he with all of us to support) liked to come home to tranquility and not ladies bustling in and out of the house.

I was always insured, but have to confess I never bothered to say anything to my local council (oops). I started out doing friends and friends of friends and never thought my business would grow so rapidly or so large. I guess depending on the kind of neighborhood where you live there might be some restrictions on the type of business you can run from home.

I've always been a bit of a rebel and am not to keen on 'rules for the sake of rules'. I have a more pragmatic approach (I'm not advising you to do this but :green:). I opened first and asked questions later.

Can i ask geeg did u have a spare room to work from within your house? (sorry just curious) xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Can i ask geeg did u have a spare room to work from within your house? (sorry just curious) xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. We had a study which i turned into a salon.

As for contacting your local council :rolleyes:... one person visiting your house at a time is not a parking problem now is it??? One reason why I did not contact anyone nor was I about to be charged business rates because of it :green:. I told you I'm a rebel. To me it was no different to having a visitor to my home. My house was not emblazoned with neon signs saying 'NAILS' and my advertising was all word of mouth. To me it was no different to working at any other desk at home for business purposes.

I am guessing your area is prob different to mine but I made enquiries to my local council regarding business rates and was told that if the room I intended to use still had another function, ie, office, bedroom what ever then you would not need to register for business rates. My room is set up for nails, but if I keep the family computer in there then it is also an office and I therefore do not need to be registered for business rates. hth, Claire x

Hi, Well done. Im setting up from home too. I called my local council but they said I didnt need a licence and they said something about parking but my drive is big and like Gigi says if you are only having one client at a time surely its not a big thing.
Good luck and email me any time we can bounce ideas off each other. xx

I just wanted to say good luck. I have set up as self employed 6 weeks ago after a career in the Police. I'm working mobile as a nail technician and renting a table in a hairdressers. I was a bit worried at first with the "credit crunch" etc but have to say I'm doing better than I first expected. I relate it to having my hair done...... not many people would go without their regular cut and colour. Clients consider their nails a necessity too and find the money to keep coming back.

Good luck to you x

Latest posts

Back