Setting up as a hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingbeauty

Reaction score
I know of woman whose been working in a hair salon for the past year or so (no longer). She has managed to pick up a fair load of hairdressing skills, but she has no Qualifications what so ever.

Now here's the thing. She now wants to go mobile. In the UK can she just do that?

She's happy about insuring her car to enable her to go mobile, but can she even get herself insured without qualifications?

Whats more can she even buy products from the Salon type warehouses without Qualifications / necessary Insurance?

It seems to me that her ideas of setting herself up will be fraught with problems & that she may end up loosing out big time.

I admire her enthusiasm, but surely she needs to Hold some Hairdressing Qualifications rather than just have some experience?

Your feedback & comments would be much appreciated... x

Nobody will insure her if she does not hold a qualification no matter how she skilled she may be. And she'll find that very few people will book in with her either I certainly would never have any treatment hair or beauty by someone who is not qualified or insured unless it was a student or trainee that was being supervised. I slogged my guts out to get my qualifications and people like this make me really angry it should be illegal!

Short answer NO she can't.

She WON'T get insurance.

She might have "picked things up" but in reality she knows nothing. People like this are so frustrating hairdressing isn't just picking a colour out of a chart and slapping it on, or grabbing some hair and cutting it. To learn the basics in hairdressing now she'll need to complete level 3 in hairdressing. Unless working in a good salon full time the. Level 2 wont give her the relevant knowledge and slills to become a hairdresser. salon

Also to add to everyone else, even if she was getting her certificates a year is not long enough, In my opinion before you go it alone I would recommend a good 5-6 years salon experience :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back