Shabby chic vintage furniture!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you use clear wax?

Hi everyone, thanks for all in info on this thread. I've just spent over £70 on the Annie sloan website on my first order of paint and if it arrives on time will be upcycling my horrid pine dinning table and chairs this weekend. How exciting! Photos to follow. So just checking...really no sanding anything first? Just literally wack it on?
X

Clean table,
paint 2 coats (can water paint down too as its very thick paint)

Sand down with fine sand paper or exfoliating gloves

Wax

Hi everyone, thanks for all in info on this thread. I've just spent over £70 on the Annie sloan website on my first order of paint and if it arrives on time will be upcycling my horrid pine dinning table and chairs this weekend. How exciting! Photos to follow. So just checking...really no sanding anything first? Just literally wack it on?
X

Exciting! Remember to post pics xx

I also do shabby chic furniture Check out my Facebook page. Iheartshabbychic (1333likes) x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1369226816.581813.jpg

Great page! Going to check out your blog in a moment too! (https://www.facebook.com/IHeartShabbyChic?fref=ts This is the direct link for anyone looking)

I have a problem with the box I am working on for my mum. The top of the box has some dark "spots" coming through despite 2 coats of paint. I even tried sanding it down a little and then repainting but still the same problem. Any idea what could be causing it or how to fix it?

Last edited:
It will most probably be damp
Let it dry out in a warm place and a few more coats might help

Jojo, your bureau looks beautiful!! x

I was just wondering, I can't find any upholstery material I like so if I bought curtain material and backed it with lining would this be ok? I've just won my cabinet off Ebay for 11 pound so i've got another project now :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Yea you could try it the thicker the material the better
Be careful lining it as you may get creases and the top layer as tight

Great page! Going to check out your blog in a moment too! (https://www.facebook.com/IHeartShabbyChic?fref=ts This is the direct link for anyone looking)

I have a problem with the box I am working on for my mum. The top of the box has some dark "spots" coming through despite 2 coats of paint. I even tried sanding it down a little and then repainting but still the same problem. Any idea what could be causing it or how to fix it?

It's recommended that you paint or spray areas that are coming through with Shellac. Not the one by CND though ;). I remember reading or seeing this on YouTube but I have no idea how readily this product is available - sorry :)

It's recommended that you paint or spray areas that are coming through with Shellac. Not the one by CND though ;). I remember reading or seeing this on YouTube but I have no idea how readily this product is available - sorry :)

I just read this on a forum I came accross (but seems to have been dead from mid 2012). They too said to buy shallac - it seems its £9ish for a small bottle :eek: but needs must I guess and if I only need a little then I can keep it for future projects :)

Thanks for the advice guys! Appreciate it as I was almost at the point where I was thinking of just papering the lid of the blanket box :o x

After reading this thread I'm going to find myself some things to up do! Where's best to find them though? I want a chair, waiting chair and dressing table....

Iv had a little look online but couldn't find much, I don't really have time to go into antiques shops! :-( xx

After reading this thread I'm going to find myself some things to up do! Where's best to find them though? I want a chair, waiting chair and dressing table....

Iv had a little look online but couldn't find much, I don't really have time to go into antiques shops! :-( xx

eBay, gumtree, freecycle, charity shops, or people who do house clearances

eBay, gumtree, freecycle, charity shops, or people who do house clearances

Tried most of them, I think it's going to be a day of going searching around!! Xx

car boot sales and auctions.

If your lucky your local auction house will update a facebook page once a week with their items that week. My local auction houses are great for uploading photos and videos of all the items so you can place a phone bid if you haven't time to go.

Jojo, your bureau looks beautiful!! x

I was just wondering, I can't find any upholstery material I like so if I bought curtain material and backed it with lining would this be ok? I've just won my cabinet off Ebay for 11 pound so i've got another project now :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Aw thank you! I had a few brown areas coming through, took a third coat to cover :)

Im so excited. We just bought an rv and we will be remodeling the interior. Gonna go all white. Have no idea what Im doing!!!

Hopefully collecting these at the weekend!! My new projects ;-)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1369312198.158102.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1369312213.340438.jpg

Latest posts

Back