Shellac clients all getting peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't know as I do not see it. There are one or two older ladies whose nails delaminate particularly in winter, but its not a problem I have seen on more than a couple of people. Personally I don't think anyone needs a break from Shellac because Shellac doesn't cause delaminating in my experience ... I haven't heard anyone mention it. Ive always had a few clients here and there with flakey nails like we all do but not in vast numbers. I've usually been able to attribute it to age or excessive length or dry atmosphere etc. sometimes it's a seasonal thing.

so do you think it could be the fact im using a metal tool for removal even thoughn its blunt and round on the end x or maybe even is my cuticle pusher scraping the nail when im doing a dry prep x

so do you think it could be the fact im using a metal tool for removal even thoughn its blunt and round on the end x or maybe even is my cuticle pusher scraping the nail when im doing a dry prep x

Very possibly ... In fact probably.

So what shall I use for cuticles to prep x

I have a client who has peely nails and she recently admitted to never wearing gloves when she cleans, even with bleach. She didn't realise this would affect her nails.

So what shall I use for cuticles to prep x

Use Cuticle Away its excellent! And just to clarify you should be doing a pep not a prep (I realise you may just be meaning prepare the nails but there is no removal of shine when applying Shellac) x

I do use cuticle away every other time but was told dry "pep" lol was better as not to wet the nails when removing cuticle away. I don't remove shine with shellac :) x

I do use cuticle away every other time but was told dry "pep" lol was better as not to wet the nails when removing cuticle away. I don't remove shine with shellac :) x

Dry pep in the case of shellac includes the cuticle away, followed by soap and water to deactivate 😊 xx

I read on here months ago that dry pep didn't include the cuticle away even on training it was discussed x

I think it might be a good idea for you to get back in touch with your CND Educator to arrange a 1-to-1 so that they can identify what's causing the damage to the nails. On this thread we're all trying to make an educated guess as to what the problem is but if your Educator was able to observe you doing a full Shellac application and removal then I'm sure they'd spot the issue straight away! X

There should be not scraping of the nail during removal. Not with wood or metal, gentle or otherwise. Doug Schoon has shown that this is causing damage to the softened surface of the nail. Just rubbing with remover on a pad is all that should be done after wrapping

hi, i trained in shellac at the fingertips centre two weeks ago and was told to gently scrape with an orangewood stick after using the wraps. really disappointed to hear this is the wrong advice as i thought i would get the very best and most up to date training there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

hi, i trained in shellac at the fingertips centre two weeks ago and was told to gently scrape with an orangewood stick after using the wraps. really disappointed to hear this is the wrong advice as i thought i would get the very best and most up to date training there.

Deebaneenee, you have been taught correctly on your class as to how we teach in a CND Shellac brings them back class- to guide the product off using your orangewood stick. No force should be needed for this.

However, I think the confusion here is the word 'Scrape'. No we dont scrape the nail at any point, after removing the remover wraps if there is any product left behind we GENTLY ease it off with an orangewood stick, scraping would imply removal with force- we certainly dont want to be forcing anything off the nail.
If there is a product residue left behind that will not be guided off by an orangewood stick a plastic backed pad soaked in remover should be held in place for a minute to allow the remover to work its magic, then scrub it with the pad to finish removal.

Notice in the video Chad Conger says "if necessary LIGHTLY FLAKE AWAY any residue with an orangewood stick" and does NOT say 'scrape any product thats not finished removing with an orangewood stick or sharp metal tool'....

Tiny Tunnels - Shellac Removal - YouTube

This isn't the wrong advice this is taught by all the CND Education Ambassadors during the Shellac Courses.
You are not using the orange wood stick to 'scrape' the nail plate you are using it to gently remove any flakes of shellac left on the nail, if there are any stubborn flakes left you would use a pad soaked with remover and scrub.
This is usually enough to remove any stubborn bits but if you are finding you are having a lot of bits left after removing the wrap you need to look at your base application as it could be to think or you aren't putting enough remover on the wrap.:hug:

thanks very much, that does clear it up. flake rather than scrape! x

Can anybody confirm what dry pep actually means? With or without cuticle away? X

Can anybody confirm what dry pep actually means? With or without cuticle away? X

With Cuticle Away - dry PEP is excluding the soaking of nails/hands in a manicure bowl, this was confirmed at a course I recently attended.

So to confirm cuticle away is to be used every single time because I have been using it every few times recently will that have caused any service breakdown x

So to confirm cuticle away is to be used every single time because I have been using it every few times recently will that have caused any service breakdown x
Using Cuticle Away is part of CND PEP and is considered protocol.

I don't think you have had service breakdown have you? Your post was about your clients nails being dry and delaminating.

Recommendations:

Start with gentle CND PEP

SolarOil to be used by clients both on and under the free edge of Shellacked nails ... DAILY

Remove all Shellac with CND Nourishing Remover in the CND wraps and try to avoid using any implement (other than a gauze pad with remover) to clean up any excess flakes of product. If you must use an orange wood stick then just use it to clean up, by moving lifted flakes off the surface. I think it is a waste of time when the pads do a better job.

Never scrape at the surface of the nail plate to remove stubborn bits of product; these can be removed with a bit more saturation with remover and a gauze pad as you would remove nail varnish.

A lot of clients are coming back with chipped shellac so it's not just a case of them been dehydrated underneath. Though some clients come back 3-4 weeks with no chips at all!!! X

maybe they are on medication or something? not listening to your aftercare? or poor diet

I have a problem with 1 who has a thyroid problem and is on thyroxin xxxx

Latest posts

Back