Shellac clients all getting peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a problem with 1 who has a thyroid problem and is on thyroxin xxxx

Yes I also have had several clients with thyroid conditions who cannot wear Shellac as it peels after 3-4 days

I take a very high dose of thyroxin & I do my own nails with Shellac and have never had an issue, thankfully!

Another thing you need to bear in mind is with these clients who have a lot of de lamination previously it would have flaked away naturally like our skin sheds, but because it has had a coating over it that is slightly tougher than normal polish it can't naturally flake away, the shellac has been doing its job and holding it all together, when you remove the coating the de lamination is evident.
You need to gently remove this de lamination with your koala buffer to allow the reshellac to stick to a firm foundation.
Jen xxx

Another thing you need to bear in mind is with these clients who have a lot of de lamination previously it would have flaked away naturally like our skin sheds, but because it has had a coating over it that is slightly tougher than normal polish it can't naturally flake away, the shellac has been doing its job and holding it all together, when you remove the coating the de lamination is evident.
You need to gently remove this de lamination with your koala buffer to allow the reshellac to stick to a firm foundation.
Jen xxx

Yes ... And the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel will give a better and firmer result if used under Shellac on nails that are uneven from delaminating. In fact BL Smoothing gel was made for nails just like these.

Thinner free edge = wobbly free edge = chips or extra wearing.
Add BL smoothing gel = firm free edge = longer tougher wear time. :D

If the nails are flaking on some of your clients and not all, make sure you check the weather. I know it sounds funny but during winter weather our bodies tend to dry out. Thus leaving our nails dry as well. We need to take in more water if our nails are peeling. Always ask these clients if they are drinking more water or caffeine. As a general rule I tell my clients for every cup of coffee they should drink (2) 8oz bottles of water. My clients that have started this, their nails stopped peeling. I also use a metal pusher to remove the shellac and buff with the CND koala prior to service.

If the nails are flaking on some of your clients and not all, make sure you check the weather. I know it sounds funny but during winter weather our bodies tend to dry out. Thus leaving our nails dry as well. We need to take in more water if our nails are peeling. Always ask these clients if they are drinking more water or caffeine. As a general rule I tell my clients for every cup of coffee they should drink (2) 8oz bottles of water. My clients that have started this, their nails stopped peeling. I also use a metal pusher to remove the shellac and buff with the CND koala prior to service.

Your advice regarding drinking water is a good one but your admission of using a metal pusher and buffing before Shellac application is not good/correct/protocol for CND Shellac service.

This is one thing that really confuses and frustrates me, when a tech knowingly goes against what the manufacturers steps are but the tech is the first to complain when problems occur.
You are only setting yourself and your poor clients for failure and I feel it is unfair on the paying client who thinks they are getting a Shellac service, when they are not getting a proper Shellac service, then when things go wrong, the client will blame Shellac, bad mouth Shellac and it's not Shellac's fault on any level.

Can I suggest that you go back to training or if you have had the correct Shellac training, then use the correct method of application/removal.

I have thyroid problems as does my mum and sister with particularly complex auto immune issue we all get 14+ days from our shellac. I think when regulated the nails are much healthier and as such this isn't such a problem.x

hi al sorry to jump on this thread but i havw just had a client text to advise that her shellac has split and cracked and her nails underneathe are starting to split. i havent changed anything in how i do the shellac and she has changed from L&P to shellac. she had them done on friday (15 march) and mentioned she was on antibiotics.

she does suffer from dry skin on her hands but is a religious solar oil user and has even said at this appointment that her skin and nails have imprvoed since she has been using solar oil.

any ideas what could be causing this? i have yet to see her nails as i am mobile but am going of her description.

my first thought is the antibiotics?

My first thought is that if her nails are damaged from the wearing of goodness knows what type of L&P applied by goodness know what kind of technician, that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that her Shellac wasn't lasting as it would do on normal healthy nails which is what Shellac was made for and you may find that she isn't even wearing Shellac at all.

The thought of her being on antibiotics wouldn't even cross my mind as I don't think it makes any difference if someone is taking antibiotics or not.

Depends who was doing her acrylics and whether they were compromising the integrity of her natural nails.

Some clients come to me for shellac having had acrylics elsewhere and the tech has managed to accidentally thin the nail plate so much, the Shellac isn't so successful.

I have had experience in the past of antibiotics making acrylics lift or come clean off but never Shellac and in any case in my opinion that would not be the cause of splitting anyway. : )

hello thanks for your replies.

the l+p was applied by me and i am cnd certified. i have had many clients go from l&P to shellac without any such problems. this is why i wondered if the antibiotics were the cause..

she has sent me a pic and the shellac is coming away from the free edge but they were capped properly so i cant think what else it would be?

She's gone from something very tough on her nails like L&P over to Shellac, its likely she treating them in the same way and not taking more care.

Keep her nails short until she gets more used to it, also if she's quite hard on her hands the smoothing gel will help to add more strength.

There's a few bad habbits she has probably picked up from wearing acrylic, using them as tools etc, so I would go through with her everything she has done.

Hi arty rox that's true I hadn't thought of that thanks for your reply x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Your advice regarding drinking water is a good one but your admission of using a metal pusher and buffing before Shellac application is not good/correct/protocol for CND Shellac service.

This is one thing that really confuses and frustrates me, when a tech knowingly goes against what the manufacturers steps are but the tech is the first to complain when problems occur.
You are only setting yourself and your poor clients for failure and I feel it is unfair on the paying client who thinks they are getting a Shellac service, when they are not getting a proper Shellac service, then when things go wrong, the client will blame Shellac, bad mouth Shellac and it's not Shellac's fault on any level.

Can I suggest that you go back to training or if you have had the correct Shellac training, then use the correct method of application/removal.

I think this is a bit harsh. My interpretation of this post is that the nails are buffed only if flakey and peeling (which I was led to believe is acceptable) and I was CND Shellac trained and taught to use a metal pusher for cuticle work?

I think this is a bit harsh. My interpretation of this post is that the nails are buffed only if flakey and peeling (which I was led to believe is acceptable) and I was CND Shellac trained and taught to use a metal pusher for cuticle work?

You do use a metal pusher for cuticle work.

You DO NOT use a metal pusher for the removal as stated in your post.

Can I add as per Doug Schoon you can do just as much harm to a soaked nail with an orange wood stick as you can with a metal tool

It wasn't my post. I was merely defending the poster.

I have seen that video but an orange wood stick is how we are taught :)

It wasn't meant to offend wednynailedit, it was stating a fact and the post was incorrect, that's all.

:)

No offense but I had a CND EDUCATOR come and personally train me. She taught me to buff with the stage 1 cnd koala buffer to the new growth for repeat we are buffing the nail not roughing it up. And yes it is frustrating because the videos and cnd classes say one thing but the cnd educator taught differently. She also taught to use the metal pusher because its the same thing if you give a biweekly manicure you use the metal for that as well. If your properly trained as I am, you don't scrape the nail you simply push the cuticle. They tell you to use an oranges old stick because some people can't figure out the difference between pushing and scraping....just saying :biggrin::biggrin:

No offense but I had a CND EDUCATOR come and personally train me. She taught me to buff with the stage 1 cnd koala buffer to the new growth for repeat we are buffing the nail not roughing it up. And yes it is frustrating because the videos and cnd classes say one thing but the cnd educator taught differently. She also taught to use the metal pusher because its the same thing if you give a biweekly manicure you use the metal for that as well. If your properly trained as I am, you don't scrape the nail you simply push the cuticle. They tell you to use an oranges old stick because some people can't figure out the difference between pushing and scraping....just saying :biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry but I have to say that a CND educator wouldn't have taught you this as it is absolutely NOT CND protocol. And if it was a CND EA that taught you this then perhaps a discreet email or PM to S2 should be done to inform them as this is totally incorrect :wink2:

You've also mentioned about buffing off where there is new growth, shellac should be completely soaked off and reapplied at each appointment

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back