Shellac clients all getting peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire bear

Reaction score
i have been using shellac now for two years and use the correct procedure but i feel shellac makes most of my clients nails peel. i sell so much solar oil my clients could almost be bathing in it. i just dont know why this is when you say if they use the oil their nails wont peel beacause they do in 90% of clients. it also says shellac is maintanance free but how is this so when clients have to oil their nails to make it last better. does anyone else find this?

Is it their nails that are peeling or the Shellac?

their nails underneath

If its their nails that are peeling then it may be your removal method that is causing them to peel. Can you talk us through your application and removal steps to see if we can help?

It sounds like you are maybe being a little heavy handed on removal? Base coat should be soooooo thin it's like there's nothing on your brush otherwise it will take longer to remove xx

i wrap their nails in the new nourishing remover and foil. leave for 8 minutes and gently scrape the shellac from the nail nor scratching the nail but i do use a blunt metal cuticle pusher... then i scrub the nail with a cotton pad soaked with remover to remove any last bits x

Does the Shellac just flake off once you remove the foils or do you have to use a bit of force? I would suggest using an orange wood stick instead of using a cuticle pusher as even a blunt one may be scratching the nails

no it just flakes off i apply all layers thinly enough

It may just be that over time the use of the cuticle pusher may be making tiny scratches to the nail which are then causing the nail to peel. Correctly applied and removed Shellac will cause no damage to the natural nail, are you removing shine before application?

Hi,

You should always be using an orangewood stick for removal, never a metal tool. This will most definitely be causing damage.
If your clients are definitely applying Solar Oil, then have a look at the file you are using to shape the free edge. It should be a 240 grit or higher, and you should always file at a 45 degree angle to the free edge. I find it amazing how many students I teach file the nail downwards to get rid of any little 'frills' under the free edge. If you get this problem, use a koala buffer at a 45 degree angle to remove them.

Hope this helps.

It may just be that over time the use of the cuticle pusher may be making tiny scratches to the nail which are then causing the nail to peel. Correctly applied and removed Shellac will cause no damage to the natural nail, are you removing shine before application?

no i dont buff the nail before application just normal prep then scrubfresh x

Hi,

You should always be using an orangewood stick for removal, never a metal tool. This will most definitely be causing damage.
If your clients are definitely applying Solar Oil, then have a look at the file you are using to shape the free edge. It should be a 240 grit or higher, and you should always file at a 45 degree angle to the free edge. I find it amazing how many students I teach file the nail downwards to get rid of any little 'frills' under the free edge. If you get this problem, use a koala buffer at a 45 degree angle to remove them.

Hope this helps.

hi i always a kanga board to shape the free edge x

Hey

If your clients nails are peeling then it is not the cnd shellac. It's difficult to know if your clients are actually using solar oil all the time, they always say they do. Also if they have peeling on their natural nails do you remove this before applying the CND shellac?

A small bottle of solar oil if used twice daily lasts two weeks.

CND shellac is. low maintenance but like anything is/ coloring our hair we need to nourish our nails or condition our hair.

When you are doing removal the shellac should flake right off and if needed gently flake off any remaining shellac with an orange wood stick. Before application make sure you remove any peeling on the nail. Always use your 240 grit kanga file to smooth the extension edge and also this helps seal the nail layers.

Can I just ask how/what you use to remove any flaky bits before putting the Shellac on?

I don't get many clients with it but I do get a few, tend to think its more like because they have had a coating on for so long, the whole skin shedding, same principle thing rather than nail damage.

I've been using Shellac for a year and a half and have been wearing it constantly since then too. My nails are in great condition and the only clients I see issues with are those who pick it off or don't use oil. Even those who don't use oil, they have drier skin anyway so this translates to their nails too.
Shellac does not alter the natural nail so it's something that happening either as part of the service or client not following aftercare.

When you say you use a metal pusher to take off anything left after wraps, which direction are you pushing off the nail?

There should be not scraping of the nail during removal. Not with wood or metal, gentle or otherwise. Doug Schoon has shown that this is causing damage to the softened surface of the nail. Just rubbing with remover on a pad is all that should be done after wrapping

How about trying the new smoothing gel if your having problems?

Marian is correct.

I do not use anything to 'nudge' the flaky bits of product from the nail. I just use a clean damp pad with the Nourishing Remover now (before D.Solve) to clean up. It does make a difference.

The client's age makes a difference too. Nails tend to have less moisture as we age. (having said that .. I am well within the 'older lady' category and have been wearing Shellac for about 4 years now and no de-lamination at all and a very healthy set of nails. :biggrin:

Nevertheless, if you are seeing natural nail de-lamination then I would shorten the nails somewhat to get rid of it and carry on from there. Once nails start de-laminating they tend to carry on unless you get past it by removing it. Make a nice fresh start for them.

Marian is correct.

I do not use anything to 'nudge' the flaky bits of product from the nail. I just use a clean damp pad with the Nourishing Remover now (before D.Solve) to clean up. It does make a difference.

The client's age makes a difference too. Nails tend to have less moisture as we age. (having said that .. I am well within the 'older lady' category and have been wearing Shellac for about 4 years now and no de-lamination at all and a very healthy set of nails. :biggrin:

Nevertheless, if you are seeing natural nail de-lamination then I would shorten the nails somewhat to get rid of it and carry on from there. Once nails start de-laminating they tend to carry on unless you get past it by removing it. Make a nice fresh start for them.

i am using the new remover and have noticed the nails definately seem more hydrated after the soak off and in better condition and i always file the nails shorter so filing past the peeling but it seems to just come back. this is not every single client but like i said the majority. my clients are having to have a break from shellac and use nailtiques proteins for a couple of weeks inbetween to get the condition back and rid of the peeling. even my own nails after one application my nails will peel what the hell am i doing wrong because i feel like im so paticular about every part of my prep and application and removal x

i am using the new remover and have noticed the nails definately seem more hydrated after the soak off and in better condition and i always file the nails shorter so filing past the peeling but it seems to just come back. this is not every single client but like i said the majority. my clients are having to have a break from shellac and use nailtiques proteins for a couple of weeks inbetween to get the condition back and rid of the peeling. even my own nails after one application my nails will peel what the hell am i doing wrong because i feel like im so paticular about every part of my prep and application and removal x

I honestly don't know as I do not see it. There are one or two older ladies whose nails delaminate particularly in winter, but its not a problem I have seen on more than a couple of people. Personally I don't think anyone needs a break from Shellac because Shellac doesn't cause delaminating in my experience ... I haven't heard anyone mention it. Ive always had a few clients here and there with flakey nails like we all do but not in vast numbers. I've usually been able to attribute it to age or excessive length or dry atmosphere etc. sometimes it's a seasonal thing.

Latest posts

Back