Shellac coming off client's nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killywing

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm qualified in mani and pedicure and also shellac.
I'm only just starting to build my shellac business. Starting with family and friends
I did a friend's nails (hands and feet) and she's sent me a photo of her nails. Three are chipping off.

I did all the pep work. The rest of her nails are fine as are her toenails.
Apart from redoing the chipped nails, I don't know what I've done wrong to cause this. And what questions I should ask to find out whether it was something she's done!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 308
I can see a lot of cuticle left over, and you've also flooded the cuticle and side walls of the nails in places. This could lead to service breakdown.

When you remove cuticle on the client for the first time, do you run the cuticle pusher all over the nails so that you collect cuticle that has traveled up the nail? Do you use a curette after?

Also what was your clients nails like before the treatment, Its hard to tell from a photo but the middle finger looks like the nail is thin and weak, were her nails damaged/ been filed on top before you put the shellac on?

What Noreen said, plus the application looks thick to me.

Thank you ladies. I'll work on a thinner application and more on my prep work and painting skills!

I have done her nails before and she has a thumb nail that often splits vertically rather than breaks horizontally.

Definitely need more practice. I put did her nails in Thursday and she's messaged me today.

I'll reapply the chipped ones and take on board all that you've said.
Thank you x

Make sure to cap your edges as well on short nails it's a must.

Make sure to cap your edges as well on short nails it's a must.

Make sure your cap is not too thick or it will chip much more readily than no cap at all.

Make sure you have good light to work in and focus on getting a more precise application even if it takes a little longer. Your speed will naturally increase with practise but if you pick up bad habits now they will stick.

Make sure your cap is not too thick or it will chip much more readily than no cap at all.

Make sure you have good light to work in and focus on getting a more precise application even if it takes a little longer. Your speed will naturally increase with practise but if you pick up bad habits now they will stick.

I cap mines just enough thanks lasts me at least a month.

I've done a friend this evening and have taken everything on board.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1467400594.509704.jpg

I hope that this is an improvement. I feel it is [emoji120] x

Looks very good! What colour is it

Rose Bud
Thank you for all your constructive comments. You've made me feel as though I've improved and I'm on the right track.
Thank you x x

You can already see it's a much thinner application, remember "thin to win!" Well done, lovely colour too! X

Lovely. Is it lobster roll?

I think the edges need capping, looks like shrinkage. Also cuticle work will get better in time with more experience. Like someone else said, go all over the nail plate with the cuticle pusher to get those dry flaky bits of cuticle off X

Blossom - it's rosebud x

Hi I am still perfecting my technique, but I found dipping a nail art brush I'm some alcohol, blotting it then cleaning around the cuticle not only gives a nice neat line it also stops lifting from the back edge before curing gel polish.

Also I bought the Elegant Touch Professional Implements Cuticle Pusher and Nail Cleaner from amazon and find it really good at getting the pterygium off the nail plate (which I suffer with quite badly).

Hope this helps.

Thank you Karina B. I'll give that a go too x

All of he above mentioned. Also try flash curing every 2 or 3 nails for 15-30 seconds in led lamp if shrinkage is happening.
Another issue to mention is what does she do for her job as I see a keyboard in her picture, be sure to mention to her if she uses a keyboard to use the pads of her fingers and not the tips of her nails as this can cause the ends to wear down, peel and chip.

Remember practise makes perfect. X

Thank you Karina B. I'll give that a go too x

I thought you might be interested in this little nugget of information I discovered last week.

I was randomly reading through some posts (can't link as I was just browsing and can't remember where it was) and someone mentioned they warm their gel up by placing it between their legs while doing their prep.

I couldn't remember if it referred to gel or gel polish, but when doing my nails on Friday I thought I would try it. It made such a difference I was so surprised! I did one hand with the polish at room temp and the other warmed. You can see the difference (albeit a subtle) between the two.

I have a Chilean friend and when I mentioned it to her she said it is standard in Chile to have the varnish put in warm water while you have your manicure.

But like fluffy26 said "thin to win", it was very "thinspiring" (sorry, I couldn't help myself!)

Latest posts

Back