Shellac deluxe pedi, feet smells

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nails_4_U

Reaction score
How when doing a shellac deluxe pedi do you avoid feet smells and gunk under toenails? As you can't soak the nails prior to shellac application I have been cleansing the feet with a soap spray, sanitizer, performing shellac pedicure, then a spa pedicure afterwards. I am getting quite turned off performing these treatments as alot of gunk under nails and that foot smell that just hasn't gone away. Please anyone help me with this as I don't want to drop this service but am close to throwing up whilst digging out toe jam :-/

I have absolutely no advice to give but this made me LOL. I have been considering Shellac training but have been wondering the same thing - certainly doesn't set my world on fire to be handling smelly, pre-soak toetsies! So will be interested in any replies.

have you tried cnd cool blue??

I spray the feet with surgical spirit it kills the smell a bit but there is no cure for the toe gunk :'(

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I've found that the majority of my clients that are having shellac/minx toes come in with nice clean & fresh feet .
I've only had one person come in abit wiffy , for which she apologised profoundly that she had come straight from a long day at work and even then they where not 'that' bad .

How when doing a shellac deluxe pedi do you avoid feet smells and gunk under toenails? As you can't soak the nails prior to shellac application I have been cleansing the feet with a soap spray, sanitizer, performing shellac pedicure, then a spa pedicure afterwards. I am getting quite turned off performing these treatments as alot of gunk under nails and that foot smell that just hasn't gone away. Please anyone help me with this as I don't want to drop this service but am close to throwing up whilst digging out toe jam :-/

You can do a very quick soak for a minute or 2 prior to application and it doesn't effect it at all.

I always have a pack of wet wipes with me and give feet a quick clean then apply sanitiser.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using SalonGeek

Thanks for the replies, I live in a mining town where alot of the women work either long hours in boots or live in thongs. Very rarely my clients come with clean feet. I use a quite strong smelling liquid soap solution and cool blue. I will try and do a quick pre soak, do you do a full mineral soak like you would later in the spa treatment or just a quick soak in water?

I do a quick soak, I did try for a while not to but I'm really sensitive to smells and toe nail gunk just sends me over the edge! Luckily it's only happened once and i had to stop the service unfortunately so since then it really put me off it only takes an extra minute or two of my time, clients think they are getting an add-on to their service and i haven't had any problems with wear.

Last edited:
I also give a quick soak just for a few minutes and it freshens everything up without affecting the shellac.

I wipe the feet with hot mitts, changing the essential oil dependent on mood.
It adds to the spa pedicure experience.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I also so a quick soak. I just add in some scentsations soap and that's it. Clients feels cleaner and I feel better about touching their toes :)

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. I will perform a quick soak before hand, would it be weird to use a curette and get gunk out from under toes whilst in the soak? Breathing a sigh of relief as its ladies day at the races this weekend so lots of pedis :)

Why not use a nail brush while washing feet. I'm weird I actually like digging out all the gunk under toes, but then I like popping pimples and blackheads too.

oh our job is gross sometimes... I'm lucky most of my clients come in with clean feet. I would hot towel them and have lemon essential oil on the towel I would then get the large size alco wipes and try to wipes as much as I could under the nail. This might help get some of the gunk and smell sorted. Good luck for race day :)

Hey girl! Dont hesitate to put a mask on. Tell them it is for health reasons. I do it if im doing nails and the persons breath stink :p you use them while fileing so why not on othere services :)

I sanitize then use a nail brush wetted with soap and water to scrub any dirt or nasties away. I make my own lotions and scrubs so I have a matching body spray in the scent I'm using for extra smell coverage if needed.

The worst clients feet I've ever done, I had to put Vicks vapor rub in my nose as she "just came from the horse barn. Sorry I didn't change my shoes"!!!!! If she had not been a longstanding client that has all hair, massage, facial, acrylic nails and pedicures done in our salon I would have refused. As it was I did inform her that she is not allowed to wear her barn shoes in the salon again. :D

Use moundo(sp) hand / foot sanitizer spray it's minty so takes smell,

Scrub fresh
Shape
Cuticle away
Remover with spray of water / soap
Do shellac

Anything under the nails will have to stay there !
If its bad and the smell is bad and looks like something that Shuld not be there then you need to send them to get checked .

Use moundo(sp) hand / foot sanitizer spray it's minty so takes smell,

Scrub fresh
Shape
Cuticle away
Remover with spray of water / soap
Do shellac

Anything under the nails will have to stay there !
If its bad and the smell is bad and looks like something that Shuld not be there then you need to send them to get checked .

Mostly it's just dirt and grime but I don't particularly like the smell of feet on a good day lol. It's 7 am on saturday at the moment here and my day starts at 8am right through till 5pm. Hopefully I survive lol

Latest posts

Back