Shellac falling off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniBeautyAngel

Reaction score
Just had a call from client I done Monday saying the shellac is falling off.

I done all the correct steps was so careful making sure it had been applied properly use the correct lamp etc.

Feeling really disheartened

don't feel disheartened. I have literally just posted about clients who fib! she's probably done something which has made them to start to come away. Some people don't realise just how much they do with their hands until they have something applied to their nails. these are not acrylics, no way as near as hard wearing as acrylics. They have to look after their nails! I'm not sure what to suggest what to do as I've just asked the question myself. Maybe repair them for free this time but if it happens again say you will have to charge her! can I ask was it french or a colour you did? thanksxx

don't feel disheartened. I have literally just posted about clients who fib! she's probably done something which has made them to start to come away. Some people don't realise just how much they do with their hands until they have something applied to their nails. these are not acrylics, no way as near as hard wearing as acrylics. They have to look after their nails! I'm not sure what to suggest what to do as I've just asked the question myself. Maybe repair them for free this time but if it happens again say you will have to charge her! can I ask was it french or a colour you did? thanksxx
Also in what way has the Shellac come off? Is it certain nails or all of them? Has it completely come away in one piece or chipped? What has she been doing? What after care has she been adhering to? What were your application steps? What condition were her nails in? We're they v short nails? Sorry 4 the questions but it's the only way to find out x

She had nice long nail beds but were very very short, no free edge.

My prep was:

File nails
Dry prep
Scrub fresh
Base coat
Colour coat x2
Top coat
D-sperse

She had a very light pearl colour, sorry cant remember the name.

I gave her a sheet with after care, wear gloves when washing up etc, don't pick, gave her oil to use daily.

I'm quite new to shellac but this is the first complaint I've had.

My prep was:

File nails
Dry prep
Scrub fresh
Base coat
Colour coat x2
Top coat
D-sperse

I gave her a sheet with after care, wear gloves when washing up etc, don't pick, gave her oil to use daily.

Was it Strawberry Smoothie? Anyway that doesn't matter. You carried out the right steps, I can't see why they would be falling off. Have you asked her if she has caught her nails/nail and if she has picked them off? Some people don't even realise they are chewing/biting their nails when they are doing it. As she had no free edge I assume she was a picker or a chewer? She's may have well caused them to lift herself. However, shellac isn't for every nail type. are her nails typically flaky or do they split easily? Again, if there was no free edge and they were bitten right down, it may have been harder for you to seal the gel, but even then, you shouldn't get lifting after just a few days. As previously said, how have these started to come off? chipping/whole set fallen off/whole nails fallen off etc?

My prep was:

File nails
Dry prep
Scrub fresh
Base coat
Colour coat x2
Top coat
D-sperse

Well as this is your first complaint im presuming you normally have good results, which may suggest that either her nail type isn't suitable. Or maybe like a previous poster has said if her nails were 'that' short then maybe she bites, which could be the cause of them coming away.

You didn't say how they came away? In one piece or in chips?

I would think maybe you didn't seal that free edge enough if her nails were really really short.

Again these are all guesses from the informaiton you have said x

Did you make sure you sealed the free edge with all layers? I find if you don't they start to lift off, then your naughty clients will most likely pick them a little and deny it haha! X

I had a lady who's nails chipped from day one. She wore gloves, used oil, everything. I knew the application was fine. Then she just happened to tell me about her boys needing hydrocortisone cream. So, I re applied the shellac and them gave her some gloves for when she applied the hydrocortisone. This time the shellac stayed on for 1 1/2 wks. I'm guessing her nails absorbed some of the cream and so that might be the reason it didn't last the whole 2 weeks but we are hoping that each time it will last longer. Does she use any creams etc?

Thin, wimpy, splitting or peeling nails? I added a soak off builder gel between my base and color on a client recently and it held up nicely! Did take a bit longer to soak off.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I've had 2 clients this week were this has happened. My prep and application is good, I'm a Shellac Certified Salon albeit mobile.

Both clients have worn Shellac successfully for 2 - 4 weeks and it has also happened to me on the odd occasion and I've been wearing Shellac for 18 months permanently. The Shellac came completely away, no chipping just clean off the nail although it's only happened to maybe 1 nail, the rest are fine?!?!

I have absolutely zero idea why this has happened and have just put it down to one of those things, although it's a bit of a pain as I have to do a freebie repair and as I'm mobile this is more of an inconvenience to be honest. But hey ho!

Im baffled!!

Sorry late reply, she did have a few cracked nails. She said it hasn't chipped but looks like its washed off on all nails on the sides.

Got her coming in today so I can have a look

Well they weren't as bad as I had imagined, took them off and coz I am the worse person for confrontations and I need to grow a major back bone I gave her money back. Now I can enjoy my weekend without having it on my shoulders.

Latest posts

Back