Shellac, Gelish, Gellux, Gellac! I'm confused!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Lashes

Reaction score
Hi geeks, i'm usually on the skin geek forum but wondered if you could help me out and explain the difference between all these nail treatments. I have been on kgb and bought a deal for shellac as i've heard it's really good. Now i've seen a deal for gel nails and don't know what the diffence is. I keep hearing these different nail treatments but don't know what they are as the last time i had my nails done was a few years ago and i had acrylics......are these still popular? Would like to start treating myself a bit more and really like the french manicure look. I recently went into a nail bar and asked i could have a french manicure with shellac and she looked at me as if i was off another planet and said NO! I really need to learn what to ask for so i don't embarass myself. Hope you can help!

I'll try to summarize for you:

Gel nails are enhancements....not polishes. Any enhancement has the potential to damage your natural nail usually due to the removal process.

Gelish is a gel polish that cures under a uv lamp and lasts for weeks when applied properly. It does require a little buffing of the natural nail for application. It requires some buffing of the polish surface for removal and usually soaks off in 10-15 minutes. If the nail tech is too aggressive when buffing during prep, your natural nail can be damaged. Buffing should be kept to a minimum; otherwise, there should be no damage to your natural nail with this system if applied and removed properly.

Shellac is a power polish that also cures under a uv lamp and lasts for weeks when applied properly. There is no buffing of the natural nail for application. No buffing is required for removal and it soaks off in 10 minutes. There should be no damage to your natural nail with this system if applied and removed properly.

With both Gelish and Shellac, french polish can be done. You just happened upon someone who either didn't want to do it or didn't know how.

Thanks gr8nailz, i appreciate you detailing the difference and i now understand and can now make an informed decision. The nail tech i spoke to made me feel a bit silly and i was wary about going to another and looking daft! But it's probably like you said; she doesn't do all treatments and maybe didn't understand them fully herself. Just seems to be so many difference treatments on the market now since i used to have acrylics. Have they made acrylics redundant now? What is your preference having done all treatments? I'm leaning towards having shellac french polish now as it seems the safest option.

Thanks once again for taking the time to explain - you've saved me hours of googling!!

If your goal is to keep your own natural nails, Shellac is the best option for you. Shellac will provide enough strength and durability that you'll see your natural nails grow.

Just make sure that you go somewhere reputable that uses real Shellac products. Some places call the treatment Shellac but it's really just a gel polish. You want TRUE SHELLAC POLISH...no knock off.

I'm just wondering what people are using and what is the best to use to start with, my boss is sending me off on a shellac course in a few weeks, but i don't know what to use from home as i also work from my house. There are sooooooo many around atm i just don't know where to start! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks geeks.

Linzi:eek:

Linzi trust me... when you come back from your Shellac course, you'll know what to do... you'll fall in love with Shellac, I just know it!

lol. bless ya, i probably would just go for what i'm already using at the salon tbh, but its all so confusing! do you use any of the other products at all, i'm thinking that staying with the CND products would be easier order wise.

I've seen some of them, but to be honest, just one of the main reasons why clients want Shellac is because it soaks off so fast and requires no buffing of the natural nail before application or before removal.

Shellac is very well known and clients will ask for it by name, which is a huge bonus, as I really don't need to advertise it.

Is there a Beauty Show coming up soon near you?

A good idea is to go to one of those and try them all out on one nail and you can see for yourself.

If you're willing to travel.. here's one that's on on the 16th to the 17th of October.

http://www.professionalbeauty.co.uk/site/Default.aspx?id=7bb2848e-bb2b-48a7-8ec5-b83ba4108a2c

Last edited:
lol. bless ya, i probably would just go for what i'm already using at the salon tbh, but its all so confusing! do you use any of the other products at all, i'm thinking that staying with the CND products would be easier order wise.

Could you please explain to me what you are confused about? Is it just that you don't know what the difference is beween Shellac and all the hundreds of different gels? Because the differences are really simple and are explained in many threads here on salon geek. Bu we can help furher if you need it. :hug:

Could you please explain to me what you are confused about? Is it just that you don't know what the difference is beween Shellac and all the hundreds of different gels? Because the differences are really simple and are explained in many threads here on salon geek. Bu we can help furher if you need it. :hug:

It is simply because i have never used any of them before. And i don't know what the difference is. I have done a search, but there are so many threads that came back i didn't know where to start. Obviously i was thinking i would more than likely find out about shellac on the course, and i was also thinking that i would probably stick with the same as i use in the salon once i've done the course. But i wondered what everyone else uses and their views. Thanks geeg, I always find you very helpful. x

I think the real difference is that with Shellac there is no need for any buffing at all. None to prepare the nail and none needed for removal.
Shellac is described as a power polish, on like polish and wears like gel, off in 10 min.
The others are described as gel polishes that paint on like a polish, off in 10 or 15.

From reading all the threads on here, Shellac and Gelish get the most ratings.
Shellac has no buffing of the NN and endless laying combinations as well as glitter effects. CND has a very good name and along with the advertising they have done to promote Shellac has made clients aware of it therefore they ask for it by name.

Gelish gets rave reviews on here also as they have some beautiful colours available. But Gelish does require the NN to be buffed (shine to be removed), and you need to buff the shine off the Gelish when it comes to removing also (not needed with Shellac). Some NN clients wouldn't like the buffing of the NN prior to application and I know I didn't when I had Gelish put on.
I asked the tech to only buff one hand so I could see if it would last without the buffing but she wouldn't do it.
I do have a damaged thumb nail at the moment so I had the Gelish placed only on the not damaged part and there was no buffing on that thumb and the Gelish came off a few days later but lasted a few weeks on the buffed fingers.

I haven't yet used either of them on clients.
I have looked into both systems.
I am doing the Shellac course on Monday and have bought two of their colours and have to say they look absolutely beautiful (in their bottle :)) but can't use them yet as I don't have the CND lamp yet.

I have tried Gelish and that was great too. It was super easy to remove and as said earlier lasted a few weeks.
I was going to try Shellac next but as it would only cost me a little more to do the course than to have it applied, I decided to do the course.
And I'm swayed more toward Shellac for the no buffing required.

I think from memory Shellac says they are a 2 week lasting high shine polish and Gelish 3 weeks???
But I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I've got that wrong.

I think the only way to decide for yourself is to try them all and see which you like yourself and what works for you.
Personally I cannot sell anything I don't believe in (would never have made a good used car salesperson!).
So I need to love the product I'm selling.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread - very informative!

Check out my website www.franceesnails4shellac.com This has a long review on Shellac, Gelish, and Geleration. Just click on Shellac and Gelish Review on left side of Page. Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back