Shellac - lifted within 7 hours!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I did a new client this morning a French shellac in cream puff and strawberry smoothie, client very please and sent her away with aftercare and SolarOil.

Then within 7hrs I get a text to say on one finger this has happened? She said she has been wearing gloves and has been careful with what's she doing as the last French she had applied by another salon barely lasted 7 days.

I know my lamps fine as my nails and other clients are fine and I was very thorough with cuticle work and removed loads (more so then the previous salon apparently), de-activated cuticle away, dried and scrub freshed.

I guess the only thing I need to check is the sealing of the free edge, and drying the nail thoroughly and of course an accurate application of Shellac.

This has never happened before on any client.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1360867659.298173.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1360867659.298173.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 760
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1360867785.451018.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1360867785.451018.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 684
Could it be that she used a product without wearing gloves? X

Could it be that she used a product without wearing gloves? X

I said to her to wear gloves for washing up, gardening and cleaning tasks which she said she would do. Her job deals with food so she has to wear blue gloves and she said today she had put blue gloves on and marigolds lol she also deals with curries and I said def def wear gloves as that will stain. She said the last Shellac application she had (not from me) went a funny colour, almost like it had stained but she said she wore gloves.
She also does eyelash extensions part time surely that wouldn't effect it?

I find French tricky, if the whites are too thick they don't last, is it possible yours were too thick, I keep trying at mine but can't seem to master it :/ xxx

I find French tricky, if the whites are too thick they don't last, is it possible yours were too thick, I keep trying at mine but can't seem to master it :/ xxx

As far as I was aware they weren't thick, I made sure my brush wasn't loaded and where I saw access cream puff, I brushed it away to think it out so I had an even coverage

hi hun

ok I have first hand experience of shellac and people who deal with food. I am a partime cook and part time nail tech. believe me the two don't mix.

I put brisa lite smoothing gel on my nails on monday by wednesday the whole lot had lifted from the free edge and peeled off. when im on school holidays the shellac doesn't move an inch. simples food handling makes wet hands doesn't matter how careful she is. I deal with food all morning long and you are constantly washing your hands. the little rubber protective gloves make your hands sweat even if you wear cotton gloves underneath. don't beat yourself up over it. I will bet a pound to a penny that that is her problem. simply that her hands are wet a lot of the time. xxxxxx

Same I have a friend who is manager of a busy cafe and she just can't wear shellac. Her hand are being used all day every day. Maby she would be better with a gel or very short l and p? X

Interesting! So u reckon wearing gloves is making her hands sweat which means her nails and shellac is being exposed to damp moisture for long periods of time?

So you reckon this could even take effect as few as 7hrs? Wouldn't the whole lot if come away though makes me wonder if perhaps on that one nail I didn't do something right

My friend is a dinner lady and i've given up trying to do her nails, Shellac lasted a couple of days and then completely peeled off and then i did a french with dashing diva and that peeled the same day!!

My friend is a dinner lady and i've given up trying to do her nails, Shellac lasted a couple of days and then completely peeled off and then i did a french with dashing diva and that peeled the same day!!
Wow really? I take it same applies here, hands in gloves?

But even with brisa lite it still happens? That's good to know as this client I mentioned earlier can only keep l and p on. I won't bother trying her on brisa lite if it makes no difference to how it lasts x

But even with brisa lite it still happens? That's good to know as this client I mentioned earlier can only keep l and p on. I won't bother trying her on brisa lite if it makes no difference to how it lasts x

even my l n p lifts at work. but in the six weeks not a bit of lifting. dinner ladies are the same wiping down tables etc. water and nails don't mix.

I must point out that im not allowed enhancements or polish of any sort at work, however for the sake of trial and error I tend to give things a go too see how they stand up to very challenging conditions. My brisa lite smoothing went sort of whitish in colour but this was due to my nails underneath being full of water. on my other clients who don't do my extreme sort of work brisa lite smoothing gel is an absolute godsend. i cant wait to train in the sculpting gel. xxx ps my brisa lite all went at the tip first.

Hi Hun,

From your pictures it looks as though the Cream Puff was applied too thickly. It may be the picture bit it looks slightly bulbous. If you look down the barrel of the nail after your Cream Puff application it should be the same thickness as if you'd applied two coats of a colour Shellac. Check this before curing, so you can wipe off some of the excess if its looking too thick. Is this the only client you are noticing this is happening to?

I've never been able to wear shellac being in a busy salon hands always in water oils scrub fresh etc so I've always worn calgel? Changed to shellac with the smoothing gel the day after it was launched? It's still on with not a Chip in sight? I do about 10/15 clients a day min? I'm a mum with 3 children so always cooking cleaning? I'm totally in love with the brisa lite smoothing gel & will not go back to calgel? Thank you Cnd

Personally I would try her with brisa lite smoothing, my job is very extreme more so than a salon because when dealing in food you are constantly sanitising your hands and washing up. Im gonna give it another go after half term lol. Problem is with clients you never know what they are really doing with their nails lols.

Also I was told better to do three very very thin layers of white than two thicker ones. Any form of thickness in the white will also cause it to peel off. good luck hun xxx

Cool ill try her on it when I order it in! Not got it yet but will be with in next few weeks as its coming to summer, my busiest time :) x

Believe me you will love it big time. I've just had a client ring me tonight, she couldn't keep shellac on for more than three days max, after brisa lite smoothing she is now on her eighth day. yippee.

xxxx

Hi Hun,

From your pictures it looks as though the Cream Puff was applied too thickly. It may be the picture bit it looks slightly bulbous. If you look down the barrel of the nail after your Cream Puff application it should be the same thickness as if you'd applied two coats of a colour Shellac. Check this before curing, so you can wipe off some of the excess if its looking too thick. Is this the only client you are noticing this is happening to?
I'm going to see her tomorrow 1st thing to repair her nail and check all the others. What il do is il check to see if iv maybe applied it to thickly, although surely the whole lot would come off? Maybe though I just applied it too thick on that one nail.
Iv had clients who have worn my French shellac for 3 weeks, some normal 2 weeks, some that can't make it past 10 days. Iv had a few colours (twice) wildfire has chipped at free edge within 24-48hrs and once Blackpool but that is it. Any other complaints have been clients owning up to lack of care or accidents with car door etc

Just want to throw something else out there as a possibility. I could be wrong but it looks like its her index finger on her right hand is that right?

It could be something she's done. The middle and index fingers are the ones we use the most. She may have caught it on a can of coke opening it or picking at a sticker or cellotape. I've done it before!

Might not be that but its something to consider xx

This is interesting as i was going to come on and ask the same thing. Im sure marigolds are ruining my shellac. After i wear marifolds my shellc does exactly what it does in this picture.

Im off to do some searching.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back