Shellac & Minx application together?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMMA AT ELITE

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have searched this but not come up.

I have a client booked in soon who would like a Shellac manicure (in tutti frutti) then Minx pink cheetah on the 2 ring fingers, I have quoted her £25, - £20 Shellac Mani & £2.50 per nail design.

My question is how would you do this?
Shellac all 10 fingers then put the Minx on the Shellac?
Shellac the 8 fingers then leave the 2 nail bare for Minx?
Apply Shellac top coat over Minx?
What would/do you charge per nail design?

I am thinking if the Minx only last a 2-3 days on the nails when it comes of if would look better to have the matching Shellac underneath.

Any help & advice would be really appreciated.
I am new to Minx so still learning.
Emma x:hug:x

Never had that question before!!! If you were to add Minx on top of Shellac would that not affect the quality/finish of the Shellac? I'm not sure I would advise my client that it was possible, although I'm not a nail tech and maybe a nail tech would advice putting a layer of curable gel over the top of the Minx to help it last longer?

Sorry no help whatsoever!

I charge £25 for both Shellac and Minx so if they want a combi of both Shellac and Minx i would still charge only £25 has you will be Shellacing 8 fingers and Minxing the other 2.
Sorry can't help with the other question, but me personally i wouldn't Minx over Shellac unless i tried it out on myself first and see how it lasts. You need to buff the suface before applying minx so her Shellac would be just a buffed sticky mess and would need re doing anyway.

I personally would do what you are thinking and apply your shellac to all 10 nails then minx over the top of those 2, so that when the minx comes off she'll still have a lovely shellac manicure underneath. As long as the surface is clear of any oils then the minx should adhere and I can't see how the Minx adhesive will be of any detriment to the Shellac, just ensure you have advised her re appropriate removal for the minx.
By all means advise your client that you haven't done this before, but you're happy to give it a go on her if that's the service she is wanting...then the ball is in her court.

Thank you very much x:hug:x

I have done this and Minx removal peeled the Shellac off. I have tried it on myself and did not work either. One or the other, one over the other would not work.:green:

I have sandwiched a minx in between layers of base and top coat minx. The minx did last longer than on its own (lasted about 10 days) but when I removed the minx like Nataliya says the shellac also came off so dont count on leaving the shellac on after.

Thanks, butI have read that thread before & the thread talks about adding a shellac top coat on top of the Minx to extend the life of Minx, my question was about doing a Shellac manicure with Minx on 2 nails, is it best to do Shellac on 8 fingers then Minx the 2 fingers or Shellac all 10 & add the Minx on top of the 2 Shellaced nails? x:hug:x

Thanks for all your replies x:hug:x

What would/do you charge per nail design?

I am thinking if the Minx only last a 2-3 days on the nails when it comes of if would look better to have the matching Shellac underneath.

Any help & advice would be really appreciated.
I am new to Minx so still learning.
Emma x:hug:x

Sorry - I thought your first question was to see if you can minx over Shellac? or your third question was can you Shellac top coat over minx, which I thought the about group post would help.

I am not sure if I am understanding your question now but I would still sandwich the minx in between clear Shellac:

Do your 10 base shellac, 8 colour shellac, 10 top coat shellac. Then 2 minx and then 2 shellac top coat on top of minx. Or just do all 8 shellac then when they are finished do the base, minx, top coat on the remaining 2 but it would take longer.

Are you also asking if you would put the shellac colour on the minx nails as well?

Sorry - I thought your first question was to see if you can minx over Shellac? or your third question was can you Shellac top coat over minx, which I thought the about group post would help.
No, my question was, what would you do, & some options.

I am not sure if I am understanding your question now but I would still sandwich the minx in between clear Shellac:

Do your 10 base shellac, 8 colour shellac, 10 top coat shellac. Then 2 minx and then 2 shellac top coat on top of minx. Or just do all 8 shellac then when they are finished do the base, minx, top coat on the remaining 2 but it would take longer.
Great, thank you, I will give that a go.

Are you also asking if you would put the shellac colour on the minx nails as well?
No, I wasnt asking that

Hi Theresa,
To be honest I did find the thread on the group an interesting read, great to know Minx lasts longer with Shellac top coat over it.
However it didnt really answer what I wanted to know hense why I wrote this thread. I did do a search first, to make sure it hadnt been asked.
What I really wanted to know is how you fellow Minxers & Shellacers would carry out the requested treatment of both systems.
Sadly my Minx training that I was doing tomorrow has been cancelled :cry: & I have some Minx booked in & feel a little unconfident doing them without the back up of the training, Gigi sent me the video so I have watched that (8 times:rolleyes:)
Thanks for all your help & advice x:hug:x

"My question is how would you do this?
What would/do you charge per nail design?"

Does the client want the minx to last as long as possible? if so then I would shellac all 10 fingers but dont waste colour on these 2 fingers as you wont see the colour underneath the minx.

What was the clients reasons for wanting Shellac and minx - once you know that answer it will make the decision on what to do easier.

I havent done the minx training and found the minx video very useful, as long as you have practiced it before hand then you should be fine.

If your client is your practice model for this then explain this to her and charge her the cost price of the products. Dont forget - if you havent practiced enough doing the minx then your worries about the treatment will show to the client so be honest with her and tell her you are developing your application skills in this new treatment (with the appropriate price). If you are confident about your application then charge the client appropriately.

"What was the clients reasons for wanting Shellac and minx - once you know that answer it will make the decision on what to do easier."

Just to have something different & quirky, not for a special occasion, holiday etc, just for everyday.
I will have a play around & start practising my Minx application x:hug:x

Latest posts

Back