Shellac Mood Ring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetyStacey

Reaction score
I've always loved the CND Mood Ring design, but since i'm not a fan of regular polishes anymore I tried last night to make it with shellac...few problems...

I used Blackpool for the base, Iced Coral for the Emerald Shimmer, Purple Purple originally for the Violet Shimmer but of course it made it more blue so that's the Ice Blue Shimmer, then I originally wanted Negligee for the Blue but that didn't do much...

As for the Copper Shimmer..what could I use? Only thing I thought of was Iced Cappucino but it's not sheer so...

Also, I tried polishing on the different colours but the lines were too apparent so I tried it with spongeing which looks bettter but still not happy..

Anyone else tried to recreate this with shellac that could give me some pointers?

Attachments

• IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,151
After my Master Painter class, I tried doing the Mood Ring with Shellac and was not successful.

What you COULD do: Shellac base and Blackpool. Cure. Then do your effects with CND Polishes, the regular top coat.

I haven't tried this myself, yet but I think it could work. HTH! :)

Ooh yeah, good idea..i'll give it a go.Thanks hun :)

Hmm just thinking..the new additives that are coming out..theres a bronzey/coppery effect in the range..you think we could mix this with top coat and then use that as a copper shimmer?

After my Master Painter class, I tried doing the Mood Ring with Shellac and was not successful.

What you COULD do: Shellac base and Blackpool. Cure. Then do your effects with CND Polishes, the regular top coat.

I haven't tried this myself, yet but I think it could work. HTH! :)

I often use the CND effects on top of finished Fedora Shellac, it works really well!

Sorry to sound dumb but what's a mood ring design?

I love that colour!!!!

I did a mood ring with shellac using Blackpool as the base, iced coral for the emerald shimmer, tutti fruitti for the violet shimmer, purple purple for the iced blue shimmer and then moonlight and roses for the copper shimmer, just make sure you really brush the tuttif fruitti and purple purple on really really thin.
Jen xxx

Hi there
Iv never heard if this, I don't like being out of touch! So when you say Shellac mood ring you mean it looks like all the colours a mood ring would have?
Also I didn't know you could layer the effects polish over shellac! I take it that's done after the shellac top coat?

Hi there
Iv never heard if this, I don't like being out of touch! So when you say Shellac mood ring you mean it looks like all the colours a mood ring would have?
Also I didn't know you could layer the effects polish over shellac! I take it that's done after the shellac top coat?

Just watch every video on the CND youtube channel and you won't be as out of touch :) I think the mood ring is an oldish design anyway.

For the colours I want applied thinly (i.e Purple purple/ Tutti frutti as in Busybee's Shellac moodring) I sponge on the colours.
This allows them to go on thinly and easily.

The Shellac step by step is on CND.com under just for pro's log in - haven't tried it yet with Shellac but we were shown the nail art section yesterday on the polished nail course

Jx

Bumping the thread to see if anyone has tried the Mood ring with any of the new Shellac colours?

Ooh good idea! Will put it on my to do list to try thanks :) xx

Nice one Pix, I will look forward to seeing the results.

I may have a play tomorrow as I have a day off, but it will be a total first for me so not promising any pics from this end!

Well my mood ring didn't come out as nice as I was hoping for.

I did Overtly Onyx as the base, then used a stripe each of Vexed Violet, Pretty Poison and Negligee, finishing off with Moonlight and Roses over the whole thing. Moonlight and Roses just over powered it way too much even though I did the correct layering coverage.
It tried to turn it that awful metallic salmon pink that it tries to do over darks.

Mood ring is on the left

20121007_152345-1.jpg

I haven't had chance to play yet! Will post pics when I do.

The middle one is gorgeous!? Xx

Latest posts

Back