Shellac peeled off!! - Used dsperse by mistake

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkeedee

Reaction score
Hi everyone
This is the first time i have ever posted on Salon Geek but i love reading all the brilliant threads. The information and advice available on here from all the lovely geeks is invaluable to a newbie like me (many thanks).
I am trained in manicure (with NSI Spa Ritual) and have been doing Shellac for a few weeks now with no probs at all (i use all the kit from s2 including cnd lamp). 3 days before xmas i did a friend's nails with Rock Royalty and she loved them. On boxing day i got a txt from her saying that she didn't want to be funny but all her shellac had peeled off!! I am gutted!! I know she would not lie and she has said she doesn't want her money back (i did offer reshellac or refund). I have gone over in my head what i could have done wrong and the one nagging doubt is that i may have used Dperse by mistake to scrub her nails with before i applied base coat. Could this possibly be the reason that the shellac peeled? I would really appreciate any advice as this has knocked my confidence a little. Thank you xx

I don't think using dsperse would cause the problem but I'm not 100% sure.

Why not give us the steps you used and maybe we can brainstorm to see what may have happened.

Also, it may NOT be you.

PS: welcome to Salongeek! :)

I don't think using dsperse would cause the problem but I'm not 100% sure.

Why not give us the steps you used and maybe we can brainstorm to see what may have happened.

Also, it may NOT be you.

PS: welcome to Salongeek! :)
Thank you deanosnana, step by step this is how i applied the Shellac:-

1. Sanitised and then applied NSI cuticle remover, removed all traces of cuticle on nail bed.
2. Cleansed nails with Dsperse (not sure if this is correct thing to do).
3. Filed and shaped free edges of nails.
4. Scrubbed with what should have been scrubfresh but i think i used Dperse by mistake.
5. Applied base coat and cured for 10 secs.
6. Applied coat of Rock Royalty and cured for 2 mins.
7. Second coat of colour and cured for 2 mins.
8. Applied top coat and cured for 2 mins.
9. removed sticky layer with Dsperse.
P.S. I made sure i swiped the edges after each coat.
Thanks for your help x

The only thing I can think of is the cuticle remover. If it wasn't all removed from the nailplate, MAYBE that caused the peeling.

I believe CND now recommends a dry PEP when doing Shellac. Of course, if the cuticle area is horrendous, I would use my CND Cuticle Away and proceed from there, making sure I neutralized the CA and throughly cleansing the nailplate with Scrubfresn.

HTH! :)

The only thing I can think of is the cuticle remover. If it wasn't all removed from the nailplate, MAYBE that caused the peeling.

I believe CND now recommends a dry PEP when doing Shellac. Of course, if the cuticle area is horrendous, I would use my CND Cuticle Away and proceed from there, making sure I neutralized the CA and throughly cleansing the nailplate with Scrubfresn.

HTH! :)
Thank you. The cuticle area was pretty grim as she doesn't usually have anything done to her nails. She is a cook and a school dinner lady so can't have polish or anything on her nails for work. She was off work for 2 weeks so i suggested Shellac to last over xmas and new year but unfortunately it didnt even last past xmas day!!

Hi hun,
The only time I have had Shellac lift is when I forgot to rinse off my cuticle remover.
I now always place the clients hand's in warm soapy water for just a few seconds rinse round the nail, and dry well. Alternately you can spray the nails with soapy water (moisturiser free) and dry.

HTH's

Hi hun,
The only time I have had Shellac lift is when I forgot to rinse off my cuticle remover.
I now always place the clients hand's in warm soapy water for just a few seconds rinse round the nail, and dry well. Alternately you can spray the nails with soapy water (moisturiser free) and dry.

HTH's
Thank you, i will start doing this and hopefully it will solve the problem. I just hope i get the chance to do her nails again so i can see if it helps. It's such a shame this has happened as i was starting to build my confidence and felt almost ready to start advertising my nail services to people other than friends and family. Now i'm not sure if i'm ready to take that step :(

Before cleansing with scrub freah you could always buff over the nails with a white block first to ensure there's no oil on nail bed and make sure you leave a gap from cuticles cos if any touch the skin they will lift!

Before cleansing with scrub freah you could always buff over the nails with a white block first to ensure there's no oil on nail bed and make sure you leave a gap from cuticles cos if any touch the skin they will lift!

There is no need to buff the nail plate and CND do not recommend you do this before scrubbing with Scrubfresh as Scrubfresh will remove any oils and temporary dehydrate the nail plate perfectly.

CND do recommend a dry pep but of course if your client has a lot of cuticle then you need to remove this and using Cuticle Away is what we suggest.

Shellac doesnt peel off on its own there will be a reason, a lot of the time it is down to PEP, the Client or not swiping the extension edge with all 4 coats.
Remember there are clients who will tell you 'I didn't do anything' but in truth like to pick ;)

I agree I was trained with shellac and u do not buff the nail at all that's why it is different to other gel polishes out there, there should be no buffing involved before application and for removal. :)

Hmm..... She is a cook and a school dinner lady ... sounds to me like she did a bit of home kitchen cleaning. Didnt use her marigolds & thought they would withstand anything .... Just my take on things but seriously if shes a friend just jog her through how she used them & that way you will see exactly what happened....

Hi everyone
This is the first time i have ever posted on Salon Geek but i love reading all the brilliant threads. The information and advice available on here from all the lovely geeks is invaluable to a newbie like me (many thanks).
I am trained in manicure (with NSI Spa Ritual) and have been doing Shellac for a few weeks now with no probs at all (i use all the kit from s2 including cnd lamp). 3 days before xmas i did a friend's nails with Rock Royalty and she loved them. On boxing day i got a txt from her saying that she didn't want to be funny but all her shellac had peeled off!! I am gutted!! I know she would not lie and she has said she doesn't want her money back (i did offer reshellac or refund). I have gone over in my head what i could have done wrong and the one nagging doubt is that i may have used Dperse by mistake to scrub her nails with before i applied base coat. Could this possibly be the reason that the shellac peeled? I would really appreciate any advice as this has knocked my confidence a little. Thank you xx
Well i thought i was a bit disheartened with my friend's shellac peeling but now i'm totally depressed as i've just received a text from my stepdaughter to say 2 of her Shellac Rockstar nails have peeled off!!!! I can't understand why this is happening now, when i've been doing them without any problems for weeks. My step daughter does have weak flakey nails but as this is the second person in 2 days to say they have peeled it must be something i am doing wrong!!!!

Are these the only 2 Rock Star set of nails you have done? Or you been doing these for 2 weeks?

Are these the only 2 Rock Star set of nails you have done? Or you been doing these for 2 weeks?
I have done 4 sets of Rockstar on toes that are all still fab after 2-3 weeks and 2 other sets on finger nails that lasted ages :)

Is your step-daughter quite young? I tend to find there nail plates more sweaty. I know theres meant to be no such thing as oily nails so maybe your step daughters are just coincidental. For your own peace of mind I would try & find out through your cook friend hows she's used them. Just curious is this the first time either of them have used Shellac ??

Is your step-daughter quite young? I tend to find there nail plates more sweaty. I know theres meant to be no such thing as oily nails so maybe your step daughters are just coincidental. For your own peace of mind I would try & find out through your cook friend hows she's used them. Just curious is this the first time either of them have used Shellac ??
My friend has had gel on before but this was first time for Shellac. My step daughter has had Shellac once before but she said it chipped at the free edge (shes 23 and a teacher)

After reading your thread about shellac "ruining" your clients nails.

Surely if you advocate all this buffing it is in fact you ruining their nails and not the shellac. Maybe you should lay off using the buffing block and get them using their oil and see If this helps.

Hey just to let u no from my training you are actually meant to warn the clients who have peeling nails that the shellac is more likely to peel as the clients nail will peel it will take the shellac with it so it's not the actual shellac that peels, I'm sure you are doing everything correctly so don't worry as a peeling nail will peel so the polish will chip. Hope this makes sense:)

My friend has had gel on before but this was first time for Shellac. My step daughter has had Shellac once before but she said it chipped at the free edge (shes 23 and a teacher)

If you use shellac as a full system and use it with the correct technique, it should not chip.

If you do experience 'chipping', then it is usually caused by several reasons:
- not sealing the edges properly, this includes the base coat and top coat.
- applying shellac too thickly.
- and as already mentioned by bg1, if your clients nails have peel on the free edge and you do not remove the peel before applying shellac, then the nail will peel off taking the shellac with it causing 'chipping'.

Hope this helps.

If you use shellac as a full system and use it with the correct technique, it should not chip.

If you do experience 'chipping', then it is usually caused by several reasons:
- not sealing the edges properly, this includes the base coat and top coat.
- applying shellac too thickly.
- and as already mentioned by bg1, if your clients nails have peel on the free edge and you do not remove the peel before applying shellac, then the nail will peel off taking the shellac with it causing 'chipping'.

Hope this helps.
Hi
Thanks for your response. It wasn't me that applied the shellac that chipped, my stepdaughter told me this happened last time she had it on. My problem is shellac peeling off my friends nails and peeling on 2 of my stepdaughters rockstar nails. (She has admitted this morning that one was damaged picking a sticker of a xmas present!!!)

Latest posts

Back