Shellac problem-shrinking immediately and mottling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
Hi folks I have a wee problem with one client, last appointment the shellac had slightly mottled, ( like circles of her own nail showing through) after second coat it seemed to disappear. This appointment the same has happend bit also severe shrinking I could actually see it happening as I applied! After the last time I had double scrubfreshed (always do a dry pep after removal)
No problems up until now, no changes apart from stress. Any ideas?
Thanks Sarah x

It could be hand cream. I have some culprits (clients) who lather themselves in hand team before I come to cover up their lack of using cuticle oil! Naughty! Get the client to wash her hands with a non moisturising hand wash before you start. I get one of my naughty clients to use fairy liquid. Cuts through all the grease. :wink2:

Hi folks I have a wee problem with one client, last appointment the shellac had slightly mottled, ( like circles of her own nail showing through) after second coat it seemed to disappear.
Thanks Sarah x

Hi. Think that it might be your base coat that is too thick Try a thinner application.

Hi. Think that it might be your base coat that is too thick Try a thinner application.

It's only happened with this client and worse the last visit no other problems with anyone else, so it's not the application x

This happened to a client of mine, twice, on the same hand. The next time I asked her to keep both hands on the table after I'd prepped as I believe she was absent mindedly putting her hand through her hair (which she puts a little wax in). Hands on desk, no more problems :p

This happened to a client of mine, twice, on the same hand. The next time I asked her to keep both hands on the table after I'd prepped as I believe she was absent mindedly putting her hand through her hair (which she puts a little wax in). Hands on desk, no more problems :p

My clients wouldn't dare take their hands off the table I'm like a school mam watch them like a hawk as soon as they lift a hand I'm like hand down! ha ha 😁 wondering If it could be hand cream seeping into nails as I'm doing a removal and pep so shouldn't be any contaminates on the nails x

This happens to me sometimes if I don't shake each bottle enough. I shake inbetween changing hands now aswel to make sure it doesn't happen cx

This happens to me sometimes if I don't shake each bottle enough. I shake inbetween changing hands now aswel to make sure it doesn't happen cx

I tap shake the finger nail fixer way 😉 defo not that either it's just this one lady that last 2 appointments x

this happens to me when the client has been in contact with Household Bleach. I have two ladies who clean their bathrooms with bleach and if they don't wear their marigolds, the seperation of the colour coat occurs - it can be days before their appointment, the bleach is absorbed by the nail plate (i think)

HTHs xx

this happens to me when the client has been in contact with Household Bleach. I have two ladies who clean their bathrooms with bleach and if they don't wear their marigolds, the seperation of the colour coat occurs - it can be days before their appointment, the bleach is absorbed by the nail plate (i think)

HTHs xx

Oooh interesting mrs h better not have been at the bleach without her marigolds or she'll be in trouble! Lol
I noticed it with the base coat too did you? X

Oooh interesting mrs h better not have been at the bleach without her marigolds or she'll be in trouble! Lol
I noticed it with the base coat too did you? X

it's less noticeable but yes the basecoat mottles...

Thank you 😉 I shall be calling mrs h before her next appointment and giving her telling off!!😜 lol x

I'm guessing you using the right light and that your bulbs are not past there 99 hours don't need turning and are all still lighting up ?

As for shrinking when applying it Do you mean the color is pooling as you put it on?
If so I'm thinking your not covering of the nail to the free edge with your base coat ?

HTHs xx

Interesting!! Thanks for this xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm guessing you using the right light and that your bulbs are not past there 99 hours don't need turning and are all still lighting up ?

As for shrinking when applying it Do you mean the color is pooling as you put it on?
If so I'm thinking your not covering of the nail to the free edge with your base coat ?

Bulbs are fine as I say the problem is only with one lady, the shrinking is happening around the whole nail and mottling x

So your removing old shellac and doing the new fresh shellac application when this is happening ?

soaking off the old shellac should be enough, that cleaning products used earlier in the day would not be interfering on reapplication.

Hair serums and oils?? had same problem with one of my ladies and that's what it came down to!! Even after soaking off and scrub fresh still occurred, we finally got to the bottom of it though :)

Hair serums and oils?? had same problem with one of my ladies and that's what it came down to!! Even after soaking off and scrub fresh still occurred, we finally got to the bottom of it though :)

Not sure she uses any, more or a blowdry kinda lady but handy to know 😉 I use arragan oil through my ends never had an issue, must be certain types x

Latest posts

Back