Shellac - really confused

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitesands

Reaction score
I've had a client whos been having shellac every two and a bit weeks for nearly the past year with no problems whatsoever, but the past two applications she just cant seem to keep it on?! The nails seem perfectly fine and ive done exactly the same as usual...i thought maybe its a bad batch but everyone elses nails have been fine, do you think its worth advising she has a rest from shellac?! I've got her in at 9am tomorrow and i dont really know what on earth a) to suggest and b) why its happening! X

Find it hard to believe it would be a bad batch, does she have the same colour all the time? Is she using her solar oil? Why not try her with Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel and see if that helps. Are you doing removal? How do her nails look? Any delamination?

Also has she changed medication recently? It probably isn't anything you are doing if everyone else is fine.

You might have to play detective and help her figure out what she's doing differently because it doesn't sound like it's something you're doing.

Not pregnant is she? That can make the nails oily?! New bath products, body scrubs? Different cleaning products? X

Have you checked your lamp?

how do you mean they are not lasting?? chipping, peeling away?

Sorry i forgot to mention after the first set didnt last, i used the smoothing gel on the next set (this set) but still the same issue...it chipped a couple then she lost the whole nail?

Yeah thinking properly i dont think it is a bad batch as shes had a different colour for each of the two 'bad sets', and during this time ive been using these colours on other clients with no issues?

Yeah i think when i see her tomorrow ill ask her about any medication changes (shes 55 fyi) etc.

You know when it just gets you questioning...am i doing something wrong...but then im not having problems with any of me other clients...frustrating :( x

Find it hard to believe it would be a bad batch, does she have the same colour all the time? Is she using her solar oil? Why not try her with Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel and see if that helps. Are you doing removal? How do her nails look? Any delamination?

Yeah shes one of my best clients...she uses it twice a day!, Yeah im doing the removal, her nails look fine...she only very occasionally gets a bit of delamination which if she does rarely get some i very lightly buff away before continuing with the service.

Like i just mentioned above ill ask her tomorrow about medication and any other changes etc. just feel a bit unprofessional as i dont know whats causing it and on the other side also feel like im letting her down a bit as shes been coming to me for nearly a year, then suddenly the shellac service doesnt seem to be agreeing with her.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? X

I have this problem with only one client recently too! Only one client is happens with and I've done her nails every 2 weeks with shellac for almost 3 years. It's always her index finger lifts at the side n she loses full thing a few days before her next appointment. I've tried brisa lite smoothing gel. Tried two top costs not helping. Only been an issue with her for about 3 months :(

Could she not be getting her hand far enough into the lamp? Sometimes my clients get a little too relaxed about making sure their fingers are on the bumps at the back

Poppin over from the hair side, but I would see if she started a new activity. Mine didnt last because I work with my fingers and shampoo a lot. Or has she started any habits? I chew my nails to bits if I go to the movie theater lol.

Other than what everyone else has said could she have become a bit lax with her aftercare. I had a client like this and when I questioned her turned out she wasn't following aftercare properly because she had become so complacent with it. Xx

Are her nails longer than usual? Take them shorter.

When my nails get longer than they should, I 'play' with the corner of my index fingernail. I rub my thumb against the corner and could cause lifting there because of it. I'm not even aware of this habit until I cause a problem.

Stephie is also spot on when she says clients can become complacent with their nails. ... A bit lax at looking after them. Certainly nails do not need to 'rest'. Lol

She has actually just taken early retirement...starting from when her nails have been playing up.

Checklist for this morning...

Any new medication
Any new illnesses (or anything shes not telling me about)
Aftercare - reiterate (shes normally very hot on this)
Find out exactly what shes been doing now shes retired...including any new picking nail habits she may be developing!

Thank you for your advice - really appreciate it x

Thanks Gigi I think this may be her problem as she was doing something similar whilst choosing her colour and she didn't even realise. Xx

Latest posts

Back